FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   US M&M Credit Cards: Can you get both? & other decent promotions in the US (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/853881-us-m-m-credit-cards-can-you-get-both-other-decent-promotions-us.html)

Fraser Aug 9, 08 6:33 pm

US M&M Credit Cards: Can you get both? & other decent promotions in the US

I'm looking to cut down my two *A FF accounts to just BD so my plan is to boost my LH account by quite a bit then close it. Frankly I don't do enough travel to justify both, especially when I have BD*G.

I've applied for the M&M credit card in the US and was approved for the Platinum card (20,000 miles), can I get the regular Mastercard too that comes with the 15,000 sign up as well?

Any info regarding other non-flying bumper promotions or easy point injections that would help my cause (US based) would be gratefully appreciated. Am aware of 10,000 SPG point sign up on their Amex card, plus have some SPG points to transfer over.

I'm using BD miles to book the second ticket and should have the necessary miles to book that by the end of September when I complete a few *A flights. For logistical reasons I'm hoping to get this ticket booked at the same time. Need just shy of 70,000 miles.

Thanks
Fraser :)

sbedelman Aug 9, 08 7:13 pm

I don't know if Barclays will permit it but B of A who issue the AS card have no problem if you have two identical personal cards. You could just put in an application for the same one you have and see what happens. Worst case they say no and then you could call and ask why.

BTW I didn't see anything in the rules that said you couldn't get the signup bonus twice, but perhaps I missed it.

Fraser Aug 22, 08 11:46 pm

Seems I got a bit screwed over by this one!

Looking at the website I mistakenly believed the Platinum Mastercard was the one that actually looked Platinum, but no, it was a blue looking one which only comes with a 15k sign up bonus. :rolleyes: I thought ah well, that's the state of credit cards today, the name never matches the colour....then I set up my online account and the amount of spend is double the number of miles I've earned so far. :confused: I look up the terms and conditions on the card and it says 'One mile per dollar' with one of those little asterisk/crucifix things beside it. So I click on that and scroll right to the bottom and there it announces the existence of a third card! No fee and 1 mile for every $2 spend and only a 5k mile signup bonus. Effin' brilliant! It's what they've assigned me! :rolleyes::td:

I called to see about upgrading to a card level that might give me an incentive to use it but I'd need to speak to applications who are closed for the night.

In the UK when I applied for my second credit card MBNA asked about my existing credit cards; credit limit, issuer, any outstanding balance etc and would at least match the limit of my declared cards. Alas Barclays/Juniper didn't ask me any of that information but I did declare my household income and they gave me a credit line of less than 3% of it! Amex have given me 10% and 15% on my HHonors and SPG cards. That is in addition to my shiny chargecard I have with them!

Mastercard haven't exactly given me an incentive to use their card! Lousy credit line and lousy benefits! I'll see how I get on with the applications department tomorrow.

andre1970 Aug 23, 08 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 10246916)
In the UK when I applied for my second credit card MBNA asked about my existing credit cards; credit limit, issuer, any outstanding balance etc and would at least match the limit of my declared cards. Alas Barclays/Juniper didn't ask me any of that information but I did declare my household income and they gave me a credit line of less than 3% of it!

I'll be honest with you, I don't quite understand your frustration... What would you expect them to ask you? Your inside leg measurement? Which, BTW, you ostensibly seem to not being able to recall? :rolleyes::D:p

On a less personalized note, I don't know how familiar you are with the American credit system; be advised, however, that there exist the so called "Credit Bureaus". Those guys know at any point in time (based on your SSN which is necessary to apply for a card in the US) all the info that your boys back home need to ask you over the phone. That includes -but it's not limited to- your credit limits, the number of your accounts, your outstanding balances, the length of your credit history, your mortgages, whether you pay your electricity bill on time or not. Based on your credit history, their systems spit out a credit score (your creditworthiness), and this is what a creditor takes into account in determining your credit line; not whatever you may happen to declare.

On a second thought, they might as well bother to know your inside leg measurement too! Just in case creditors need some extra collateral... :p:D

Fraser Aug 23, 08 9:26 am

This gets more ridiculous. So I called this morning and after speaking to applications learn that I can't just upgrade my account I would need to start all. over. again.

So I'm on the phone with this guy for about 25mins as he reads out all this stuff I'm supposed to listen to about fees, APR and balance transfers then tells me after he has hit the submit button that I'll hear back within 30 DAYS! :td: If I apply online I know within less than 30 seconds. :confused: And there was me thinking I'd have the miles to use for an award I'm looking to book within a month.

Back in the UK when I upgraded a fairly new Amex card it was one 30 second phone call and done. Reminds me why I've stuck with them for 95% of my purchases since I became a cardmember.

Originally Posted by andre1970 (Post 10247300)
Based on your credit history, their systems spit out a credit score (your creditworthiness), and this is what a creditor takes into account in determining your credit line; not whatever you may happen to declare.

Well their process seems to neglect some pretty important part of my financial picture then! What they've done in the process is make their own card completely uncompetitive with the ones I have already giving me absolutely zero incentive to use their card for anything whatsoever. Besides they asked me if I have a checking or savings account but not how much were in them which makes a hell of a lot of difference in my case. For our household income (not Forbes list but well above average), my financial standing (I won't go into specifics but it is very healthy), credit history (never paid anything but full balance and on time for every bill. Our only regular outgoings are utilities and modest rent) the limit and card they've given is frankly insulting and useless.

I was looking to purchase a couple of international J tickets on that card this week but due to their lousy limit and useless award limits I can't and wouldn't even put them on there as it stands. I'll just put it on one of my Amex cards instead.

oliver2002 Aug 25, 08 8:33 am

My wife got an invite from LH to apply for the Barclays card and since she had some expiring miles coming up soon, we applied for the lowest card to keep the miles alive (BTW the blue card cost 0$ a year). He application got rejected for having 'no credit history'.
Applied for an SPG Amex for her the next day (need the SPG points to top up the account and then clean out before the miles expire :)) and the application got approved instantly online and the Amex with a 8000$ limit was in the mailbox 3 days later ^

Fraser Aug 25, 08 10:37 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 10255807)
My wife got an invite from LH to apply for the Barclays card and since she had some expiring miles coming up soon, we applied for the lowest card to keep the miles alive (BTW the blue card cost 0$ a year). He application got rejected for having 'no credit history'.
Applied for an SPG Amex for her the next day (need the SPG points to top up the account and then clean out before the miles expire :)) and the application got approved instantly online and the Amex with a 8000$ limit was in the mailbox 3 days later ^

Oliver, thanks for making me feel a little better about the situation! At least I'm not alone :D

oliver2002 Aug 25, 08 11:51 am

Just search the forum for 'barclays' and you will find the mega thread on the silly credit card LH decided to switch to in the US and how pretty much everyone who doesn't have a credit score of 750+ is not getting a serious usable card from Barclays.

GK1998 Aug 25, 08 12:49 pm

I have both the US card and the Swiss card, which is pretty convenient ^