Silver eligable for Star Business Check-in?

Old Aug 8, 08, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold, LHS, SAS EB
Silver eligable for Star Business Check-in?

According to the the M/M information Silver members are allowed to use the business check-in. But does this include all Star Member Airlnes ?

Personllay I use the Business checkin on Economy tickets regardless of star airline location or * airline used. It has always worked with my M/M LH/S level.

However recently I overheard that a UA/S member was rejected from the SK business checkin at ARN trying to checkin to a SK flight , so I start to wonder. What is actually the rule here?
Old Aug 8, 08, 8:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
At ARN *silvers are allowed to use the C counters, but its an unpublished benefit. See the FTL benefits thread for details.
Old Aug 8, 08, 8:42 am

Programs: LH/OS SEN, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Plat, SPG Gold, BAEC Silver
The official rule is also published on the M&M website:

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...en&cid=1000243

And it says it's priority or "business class" (on the German website), but does not state this more exactly. According to my experience, it works with any *A partner. At least this is a nice advantage for us FTLs ....

Last edited by martin_; Aug 8, 08 at 8:45 am Reason: wrong info given
Old Aug 8, 08, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
FTL and business check-in

I had great problems checking in at a TAP business desk in LIS earlier this year, with an FTL card. It is true that the check-in agent in question seemed more interested in re-doing her fingernails than anything else (I was the only client, so wan't depriving anyone of anything), but I had to quote m&m rules (made up on the spot) to get service.
It seems to me that the conditions in M&M brochure are not entirely clear (I reread them on getting back home). It certainly isn't clear whether they apply to only LH (and presumably to partners who do LH check-in such as SK in Scandanavia, LX in Switzerland, etc.) or to the whole of *.
Old Aug 8, 08, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
The official Star Alliance guide only states the following:

Star Alliance Gold
Priority Reservation Waitlist
Priority Airport Standby
Priority Check-In
Additional Baggage Allowance
Priority Baggage Handling
Star Alliance Gold Departure Lounge Access
Priority Boarding

Star Alliance Silver
Priority Reservation Waitlist
Priority Airport Standby

As you can see Business Check-in is not a *S benefit, however some FFPs grant their respective own *S members this benefit. (such as LH FTL being able to checkin at the Business counters)
Old Aug 8, 08, 10:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If one would care to read the reference thread I posted in #2 you would see that some carriers do offer published *S benefits that include business check in, even to silvers of other *A FFPs. SK offers unpublished benefits.
Old Aug 8, 08, 3:02 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

FYI, I have made an overview about the benefits of *S status at the Star Alliance Forum (click here)
Old Aug 8, 08, 3:07 pm

Programs: LH/OS SEN, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Plat, SPG Gold, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
If one would care to read the reference thread I posted in #2 you would see that some carriers do offer published *S benefits that include business check in, even to silvers of other *A FFPs. SK offers unpublished benefits.
Thanks, but after re-reading it a second time, I can only say that my experience is clearly that MOST *A carriers seem to do that. AC and TP definitely always would let me use Business Check-In (even invited me to sometimes), even on leisure trips where the usual tricks with business dress etc. would not have worked out.
Old Aug 11, 08, 5:19 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I usually just march up to the C check-in desk so naturally self-assured that the agent usually wouldn't start thinking about whether I am entitled or not to using said desk.
Old Aug 11, 08, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
I usually just march up to the C check-in desk so naturally self-assured that the agent usually wouldn't start thinking about whether I am entitled or not to using said desk.
Correct! Could be the reason why it is working for me as well. They will not send you back even if they feel you might not be entitled to ....

Search this Thread