FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   BEY - turnaround (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/847035-bey-turnaround.html)

tcswede Jul 21, 2008 1:59 am

BEY - turnaround

Can someone advise on how to work best a turnaround în BEY - arriving on LH 3516 at 13:45 and leaving on LH 3517 at 14:45.
Can I get BP at the gates - is arrival and departure seperated - is there a transit route etc ?

Thank you for your input - last time I was in Bey was many years ago as a small kid - I guess there might have been some changes since then ;)

TYIA

Cheers

Thomas

DownUnderFlyer Jul 21, 2008 5:17 am

Best thing to do is to get the BP for the return flight in Germany already. This way you don't have to worry about this there.

szg Jul 21, 2008 5:21 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 10071689)
Best thing to do is to get the BP for the return flight in Germany already. This way you don't have to worry about this there.

Is it possible to get the BP for the return flight in Germany already ?

sentom Jul 21, 2008 5:22 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 10071689)

i assume that this will be two separate tickets, so that wont work...

Rambuster Jul 21, 2008 5:30 am

According to LH.com online checkin and print your own BP is available ex-BEY !

http://www.lufthansa.com/cdautils/me...dia_543021.pdf

DownUnderFlyer Jul 21, 2008 5:44 am

Originally Posted by szg (Post 10071694)
Is it possible to get the BP for the return flight in Germany already ?

Yes, the flight opens for check-in 24h before departure so the OP can use OLCI or just check-in in FRA.

I do turnarounds quite often, with LH and with other airlines. In many cases you can get the board pass for the return flight. Sometimes it doesn't work, depends on the airport (CMB as an example).

Originally Posted by sentom (Post 10071697)
i assume that this will be two separate tickets, so that wont work...

If it is two tickets he can still use OLCI. But what makes you think it is on two tickets? Minimum connection time?

skywalkerLAX Jul 21, 2008 6:04 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 10071729)
If it is two tickets he can still use OLCI. But what makes you think it is on two tickets? Minimum connection time?

Either that or the possibility that someone uses BEY as an affordable gateway for some longhaul premium tickets ;)

No offense though :)

Rambuster Jul 21, 2008 7:34 am

Of course two tickets to benefit from the ex-BEY pricing.

Ideal to use BMI *A one-way awards for the positioning flight to BEY !

andre1970 Jul 21, 2008 7:45 am

But what makes you think it is on two tickets? Minimum connection time?

BEY is still a long way from becoming an LH hub

San Gottardo Jul 21, 2008 9:18 am

Thomas,

You'd better print your boarding pass back at home before flying to BEY.

BEY is a small airport, but arrivals and departures are seperated. There is a transit channel, but I've never used it. However, AFAIK it will be hard for you to find a counter that prints your Lufthansa boarding pass in the transit area - that kind of thing may work for MEA flights and some others, but I doubt it works for LH.

Which would leave you only with getting out and in again: make sure you are among the first off the plane. You then head through a short corridor towards immigration. If there's a queue at the "foreigners" counter and no-one at the "Lebanese passports", just go there, they don't mind too much. After that you go through the baggage claims area with a Duty Free that's nice if you're into cigars. After that you head out, arriving into a complete zoo (summer is the high time at BEY, all flights are full, and travelers usually arrive with about 3 tons of luggage each and are being expected by delegations of at least 74 family members). Go through the zoo and walk up the stairs to the departures level. There you have to go through a first security screen, which sometimes is a little crowded (5-10 mins max). LH check-in is in the West departure area. However: AFAIK, CKI closes 60 mins before departure, so that makes your turnaround difficult.

The lounge is the MEA lounge on the upper level, which is okayish. The lounge is spacious, but food and amenities are mediocre. If you want to use free WiFi, connect to the "MEA" network (not the other one which is advertised everywhere). Although the welcoming page of the "MEA" network tells you something about payment, it's in fact free. Just browse.

Lufthansa flights to BEY are a real pain during summer. They're always packed to the last seat, and pax are of the big family/fridge in their hand luggage/jumping around all the time-type. Seats are uncomfortable for such a long flight (to compare: Air France uses their B777-300ER with real business class seats - the only route where I prefer AF, if you remember the AF war stories I told you at the ZRH Stammtisch).

Hope the money saved is worth the hassle ;-)

Let me know when you're flying, I'll be going myself on that day flight mid-August (PM me).

Best

Rambuster Jul 21, 2008 10:08 am

Sounds like he might need to check out what the hotels in BEY are like if the turnaround goes tits up !

Jimmy67 Jul 21, 2008 11:14 am

1. You CAN get your LH boarding pass at the transfer desk and there is no need for immigration

2. You still might get in trouble in case the LH flight FRA-BEY is late and original check in deadline is over, as the flights are all fully booked as creber said. They cant check you in after the deadline when flight is full.

3. Printing you bp in D isnt possible AFAIK. Beirut airport doesnt have 2D readers yet.

4. Beirut is a great city with beach clubs, night-life, great restaurants and very friendly people. Its a must to visit there at least once in your life

I am there Aug 22-Sept. and I am sure BEYFlyer will be happy to see FT folks in BEY

skywalkerLAX Jul 21, 2008 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Jimmy67 (Post 10073251)

3. Printing you bp in D isnt possible AFAIK. Beirut airport doesnt have 2D readers yet.

That doesnt matter at all... LH still has bp's with magnet stripes as well and even if not the GA can enter his boarding number manually !

Many outstations just get the readers step by step... many use the COW (CUTE ON WHEELS) for boarding !

Jimmy67 Jul 21, 2008 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 10073498)
That doesnt matter at all... LH still has bp's with magnet stripes as well and even if not the GA can enter his boarding number manually !

Many outstations just get the readers step by step... many use the COW (CUTE ON WHEELS) for boarding !

I talk about the 2d readers for the self-printed bps.
I can only imagine the face of the lebanese gate agent if you come with just a paper, should be fun.
do it!

skywalkerLAX Jul 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmy67 (Post 10075424)
I talk about the 2d readers for the self-printed bps.
I can only imagine the face of the lebanese gate agent if you come with just a paper, should be fun.
do it!

If they are LH staff there shouldnt be a problem, especially as stated above LH lists BEY as available destination for self-print.

Doesnt matter, once you have a bording number you are fine as long as you are at the gate !

I can only imagine it being an issue if you have paper tickets, havent tried yet to OLCI with paper.