Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The LH strike master thread! (Summer 2008)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Exclamation The LH strike master thread! (Summer 2008)

As most of you have already realized LH is in collective negotiations with several unions. There was a temporary walkout by pilots of LH subsidiary "Cityline" the other day leading to several flight cancelations and delays. Walkouts by cabin and ground staff might happen sooner or later as well.

This thread is meant to provide information on upcoming strike action, incl. flight delays or cancelations and what to do when you are affected by such an incident. Please feel free to post your information about issues related to this topic or links to newpaper articles, press releases or anything else that might be of interest for your fellow FTers.

This thread is NOT meant to discuss the usefulness of a strike, the rightness or wrongness of the unions or any other political issues. This can be discussed in the OMNI forum.

I'll try to summarize all information in this thread in the first post. It would be really helpful if you make me aware of important information by either PM or Report bad post (yes, you can use RPB for this issues as well!).

Finally I hope that we don't really need this thread in the end and LH will make an agreement with the unions before we as customers have to suffer.

Take care!
totti

Last edited by totti; Jul 23, 2008 at 1:25 am
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Current walkouts and affected airports!

New pilot walkout from 08/07 12am until 08/09/2008 12am

The walkout will be over by tomorrow 08/02/2008 but LH is expecting delays until mid of august

LH is offering a special service hotline 0800–8 50 60 70

Last edited by totti; Aug 7, 2008 at 1:39 am
Old Jul 14, 2008, 6:35 am

Programs: LH SEN 2011 & More
LH is in battle on all fronts with different unions (name in brackets) due to the very complex strcture of labour agreements: minor part of cabin crews (Verdi), most of cabin crews (UFO), ground staff (Verdi), pilots of Cityline and Eurowings (VC). Hot summer for Mr Lauer.

No reason to be alarmed as yet. However, the scedule of the unions should be kept in mind to be preapred for delays or cancellation, which may not be before the end of July. Refer e.g. to IHT: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...ike-Ballot.php
Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for posting this article tbk06. I couldn't find any information about the Verdi strike ballot so far, even though Verdi claimed that they want to start today. Let's wait and see…
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:51 am

The German "Schlichtungsstelle Moblität" claims that LH is responsible if a flight is chanceled due to a strike.
Sorry for being too stupid to implement the link from www.sueddeutsche.de
(sorry again, just a German newspaper)

Piloten-Streik
Ihre Rechte als Fluggast
Wer von Streiks bei Fluggesellschaften betroffen ist, steht den Beeinträchtigungen keineswegs hilflos gegenüber.

Reise-Mängel: Wie Urlauber zu ihrem Recht kommen Bei kurzfristig annullierten Flügen haben die Fluggäste nach Angaben der Schlichtungsstelle Mobilität Anspruch auf eine Ausgleichszahlung. Je nach Länge der Flugstrecke liege diese zwischen 250 und 600 Euro.

Viele Fluglinien würden solche Forderungen allerdings mit dem Hinweis auf höhere Gewalt ablehnen, berichtet Birgit Zandke-Schaffhäuser, Juristin der Schlichtungsstelle. Ein legaler Streik innerhalb des eigenen Unternehmens falle aber in den Verantwortungsbereich der Fluggesellschaft. Daher sei diese nicht von der Haftung befreit.

Falls die Fluglinie die Ausgleichszahlung nicht leiste, bleibe nur, sich beim Luftfahrt-Bundesamt zu beschweren oder den Rechtsweg zu gehen.

Bei Verspätungen rät Zandke-Schaffhäuser, zumindest über eine Umbuchung zu verhandeln. Verpasse man zum Beispiel eine Zugverbindung wegen des Streiks bei der Fluggesellschaft und müsse ein neues Zugticket kaufen, habe man Anspruch auf Schadenersatz.

Auch in solchen Fällen würden Fluglinien allerdings oft darauf verweisen, dass sie nicht verantwortlich seien. Bei über fünf Stunden Verspätung hat der Kunde der Juristin zufolge das Recht, vom Flug zurück zu treten und das Geld zurück zu bekommen.

Betroffen von den aktuellen Streiks sind nach Angaben der Lufthansa deren Töchter CityLine und Eurowings, aber nicht normale Lufthansa-Flüge. Der Konzern rät daher, vor Antritt der Reise das Call Center der Lufthansa unter der Nummer 0180-58 38 42 67 anzurufen und zu klären, mit welcher Gesellschaft man fliegt. Dies sei nicht unbedingt auf dem Ticket erkennbar. Gegebenfalls sollten Kunden auf Auto oder Bahn ausweichen.

(AP/dd)
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Verdi started the strike ballot yesterday. Results will be announced on Fri. 07/25/2008…
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
It would be the worst situation for LH and it passengers if the strike goes on at this time of the year.

Does anyone know if the unions approve a stirke on Friday July 25, 2008 would the flights on July 26, 2008 will effected or it will be OK on that day. I am flying to JFK on that day with my family...
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by LH/LX
Does anyone know if the unions approve a stirke on Friday July 25, 2008 would the flights on July 26, 2008 will effected or it will be OK on that day. I am flying to JFK on that day with my family...
A strike on a weekend? LOL! Nah, they will cause much more damage on Monday.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flysurfer
Would be me guess as well
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:42 am
hch

Fortunately I have my flight to EZE on Sunday. Would be a shame to arrive late in Argentinia due to a strike in Germany

I'm sure I'll have some strikes in Latam the next month and a half..
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:27 am

Programs: LH SEN 2011 & More
Exclamation Strike Alert

The union VC announced a strike of the pilots on Eurowings and Cityline which will starts today (Tuesday July 22) at 1200 and may ends tomorrow (July 22) at 2400. The following airports will be affected: Frankfurt, Düsseldorf, Hannover, Stuttgart, Berlin-Tegel, Leipzig and Hamburg. Why VC did not mentioned Munich is unknown. But I suppose that Munich will be take part in that game as well.

This will cause in massive delays and cancellations especially on domestic and intra-european flights.

Please refer to Spiegel Online (available in german only):
http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/...567238,00.html

And now in english as well by IHT:
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...-Lufthansa.php

Prepare and take care,
tbk06

Last edited by tbk06; Jul 22, 2008 at 2:48 am
Old Jul 22, 2008, 3:01 am
Original Poster

And here you can find the press release by VC:

http://www.vcockpit.de/presseaktuell.php?artikel=186

Thanks for posting the information tbk06!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 3:50 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by flysurfer
Very true.

I will be on LH418 next Monday...
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Both my flights for tonight and tomorrow morning are cancelled ... (DUS-ZRH-DUS). That sucks.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:45 am
formerly OliverS

I called about my flight for tomorrow (MUC-CDG) and was rebooked to MUC-FRA-CDG on mainline LH.
Better than nothing, but it still kills the whole day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.