Upgrade options

Old Jul 3, 08, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continetnal Silver
Upgrade options

Hi when flying with LH and Austrian transatlantic (nyc muc) what are my upgrade options

Miles: how much and from which account
Status: Does status make a difference (is it better to have a status with the airline directly, or *aliance is enough)
Friends: I have a *senator friend can he help
Money on board: I remember taking a flight on Austrian and thy have an on board option to upgrade, is this still available and is it just on Austrian or both LH Austrian?
Money on the ground : what is the process of paying for an upgrade

Thanks
Tale
Old Jul 3, 08, 8:56 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by tale View Post
Hi when flying with LH and Austrian transatlantic (nyc muc) what are my upgrade options

Miles: how much and from which account
Status: Does status make a difference (is it better to have a status with the airline directly, or *aliance is enough)
Friends: I have a *senator friend can he help
Money on board: I remember taking a flight on Austrian and thy have an on board option to upgrade, is this still available and is it just on Austrian or both LH Austrian?
Money on the ground : what is the process of paying for an upgrade

Thanks
Tale
well, most of the answers are answered in this forum. A bit of search function would help with most of them.
1. from Y to C 35k or 50k depending on the fare class purchased
from C to F 50k
2. don't know what you mean by having status. It always helps, but on LH there are no complimentary upgrades, unless the cabin is oversold. In that case status with airline helps more then with *A.
3. what kind of help you are looking from friend? He can't nominate you for status, like 1k can do on UA
4. LH has no option to pay upgrade on board, don't know for austrian
5. upgrade on ground is possible, pay the fare difference at the ticket counter
Old Jul 3, 08, 11:54 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Sometimes, at some stations in the US, LH will offer an upselling program where you can buy an upgrade from Y to C at a lower cost. It is only available to non status Pax and we have not had any reports about this for a while.

Can't comment about OS at all.
Old Jul 4, 08, 4:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More forum

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
I have never seen this at JFK. I can't comment on EWR due to the lack of personal experience. JFK-Germany is normally booked pretty well in C and F and so it might be difficult to get an upgrade no matter the upgrade-instrument if you are not a status pax.

3.) Your friend can upgrade you, using his miles (50k miles or 35k miles if you are booked in B/Y). If you have a UA 1K friend you can ask him or her for a SWU. 1K's can request a paper cert. for the use on LH metal. It is standby only and if you don't have status your chances are limited.

I also agree with volta that most answers to your questions can be found in this forum anyway. So please make use of the search function next time as well. We are glad to help with the more tricky questions
Old Jul 5, 08, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continetnal Silver
OS on board Upgrade

I today learned from the Customer service desk that On-board upgrades are still available on OS VIE JFK for 550 Euro.

Do you get any benefits for doing this (Extra mileage, use of lounge, etc)
Old Jul 6, 08, 7:55 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus; LH M&M SEN; Hertz Presidents Circle; IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by tale View Post
I today learned from the Customer service desk that On-board upgrades are still available on OS VIE JFK for 550 Euro.

Do you get any benefits for doing this (Extra mileage, use of lounge, etc)
Yesterday they told me at the gate, that it is 650 Euro.

Search this Thread