Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
I believe that unless there is some unforeseen circumstance like weather (or volcanoes), or passengers who missed connections, LH doesn't allow standby travelers just because someone wants to take an earlier flight
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Touch
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
Also, is Lufthansa the same as Air France/KLM when it comes to seat assignment for cheap economy flights... they're assigned at the airport? Or can I request a window seat in advance?
If you are flying longhaul you can have your seat assigned (other than exit rows and some priority seats) in advance including a window seat.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
As a general rule, LH will not allow you to change flights unless a.) it is explicitly in their best interest for operational reasons or b.) you have paid extra for a flexible ticket.

LH sells rather a lot of expensive, flexible tickets to business travellers and they see it as a revenue protection measure to make sure that everyone who did not pay for flexibility does not get any. If you could always jump on an earlier flight for free or at little additional cost, why would you bother buying a flexible ticket?

Also, is Lufthansa the same as Air France/KLM when it comes to seat assignment for cheap economy flights... they're assigned at the airport? Or can I request a window seat in advance?

thanks,
--Russ
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you are flying longhaul you can have your seat assigned (other than exit rows and some priority seats) in advance including a window seat.
If you're on an intra-European flight, seat assignment is not possible in advance unless you hold Lufthansa Senator or HON Circle status.

However, LH offers online check-in as an alternative to choosing from whatever seats are left when you get to the airport. It opens 23 hours prior to the departure of your flight.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by alex0683de
As a general rule, LH will not allow you to change flights unless a.) it is explicitly in their best interest for operational reasons or b.) you have paid extra for a flexible ticket.

LH sells rather a lot of expensive, flexible tickets to business travellers and they see it as a revenue protection measure to make sure that everyone who did not pay for flexibility does not get any. If you could always jump on an earlier flight for free or at little additional cost, why would you bother buying a flexible ticket?

If you're on an intra-European flight, seat assignment is not possible in advance unless you hold Lufthansa Senator or HON Circle status.

However, LH offers online check-in as an alternative to choosing from whatever seats are left when you get to the airport. It opens 23 hours prior to the departure of your flight.

My bolding -- never a truer statement made, I try to be as creative as possible with my flights but sometimes my eyes water when I see the flight costs.

My company policy is "lowest fare" --> case in point when this doesn't work in our favour a while back: meetings finished earlier than planned, cost to get home was a significant amount for a new one way ticket.

So "standby for an earlier flight" can work --> but they will make you pay the appropriate change fees which may include upfaring to the fare class available on the flight you want to take

Last edited by pdsuk; Nov 7, 2010 at 11:47 am
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
To the OP: Sorry, this is in Europe; not in the US. LH (and other European carrier) do not operate a standby system like the carriers in the US.

The prevoius posts are spot on. It is never going to happen unless it is in the interest of LH.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:12 pm

Well, they don't have a published offer like easyjet (where on your return leg you can take one flight earlier at no extra if you show up at the airport in time and a seat is available). But, hey, a friendly question at the ticket counter won't hurt anyone, if you're at the airport and have time to kill. I've been lucky that way with Austrian in ZRH (weather was not very good that day in January, might have influenced their decision; plus, I didn't have any luggage to check in). But you definitely shouldn't count on taking that earlier flight.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:49 pm

It worked twice lately claiming that I would have booked the connection but due to the MCT wasn't allowed to.
I have to say I was surprised they allowed me on.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: LH G, CO G, BA B, HH G, PC P, SW G, Sixt P, Hertz G and YES A|Club G :)
Originally Posted by kacheng
It worked twice lately claiming that I would have booked the connection but due to the MCT wasn't allowed to.
I have to say I was surprised they allowed me on.
Consider yourself lucky. In my experience, it is more like once in a blue moon, than sometime even with carry-on...I would not plan being able to get on an earlier flight! LH is pretty straightforward....you booked that flight, hence you are planning to fly then, not earlier....
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
I was lucky only once. Was flying to vacations with my family and we were together on longhaul, but I was split from family for intra EU flight. Came to the gate and asked nicely and was allowed on the flight. Had only hand luggage.

We were on award C class.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Just bumping this thread: Would the usual LH opposition to standbys apply to CityLine as well? I'm booked on an afternoon flight ARN-DUS on Friday and would love to take the morning flight instead. It does look like the afternoon flight is totally full, so perhaps they might go for it on operational grounds.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by econprof
Just bumping this thread: Would the usual LH opposition to standbys apply to CityLine as well? I'm booked on an afternoon flight ARN-DUS on Friday and would love to take the morning flight instead. It does look like the afternoon flight is totally full, so perhaps they might go for it on operational grounds.
CityLine is Lufthansa, so no difference (the same is true for every other regional partner)
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
While my question here is concerning earlier standby on an E fare (does status on LH make it any easier?), I just want to comment that I have been able to use the self-check-in kiosk to change to an earlier or later flight on an award trip. In my case, I was schedueld out on a 6am MAD-FRA flight on C award. The day before, I went over to MAD to check in for my flight and clicked on the standby options. All the flights for the day on LH and JK came up and I was given the choice to confirm immediately on any of the LH flights. In fact, first I confirmed on the noon flight and later changed it to 10a.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I was curious if it was an option to fly stand-by on Lufthansa... ie. show up at the airport for a flight immediately previous to the one you're booked on?
They are always happy to do it... For 50 Euros plus the fare difference between E and B...
Still a lot better than BA would would charge you for a new ticket as "changes on the day of your flight are not allowed".
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
what about Z fare?

I am flying intra-europe on a Z fare to FRA. My flight is at 4pm, but I'd like to catch an earlier flight instead. Of course, I don't want to pay the $400 change fee if I can avoid it. Can I standby for an earlier flight to FRA without a $400 change fee? It sounds like LH is pretty anti-standby unless they overbook our flight. I am in business on a Z fare. Does that make a difference? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.