Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:25 am

Programs: LY Matmid, BMI Diamond
Standby for earlier departure - LH

Howdy,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation with my next travel to Europe. I'm expected to have a 6-hour stopover in FCO between my AZ flight and my LH flights (FCO-DUS-TXL). I would like to try to stand by for an earlier departure once I get there. The fare rules specify a 100 eur penalty on any change/reissuance/endorsement etc - so does this mean that it would cost me 100 eur to get on an earlier flight if there's an available seat last-minute?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by All That Jazz
so does this mean that it would cost me 100 eur to get on an earlier flight if there's an available seat last-minute?
No, it means that it will cost you 100 EUR plus an upgrade to the higher fare base, assuming your restriced bucket won't be available that close to departure.

Of course, you can always beg.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, MR Platinum, BW Gold, HH Silver
... and remember that checked-in luggage will not allow you to get in to earlier flight if there is no enough time (about 2h) to redirect your suitcase.

LH will not let you travel without your luggage on the same flight - security.

TP
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by tomekp
... and remember that checked-in luggage will not allow you to get in to earlier flight if there is no enough time (about 2h) to redirect your suitcase.

LH will not let you travel without your luggage on the same flight - security.

TP
Yeah, luggage won't be a problem. I'm not planning to check any.

Any way around it then?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, MR Platinum, BW Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by All That Jazz
Yeah, luggage won't be a problem. I'm not planning to check any.

Any way around it then?
From my experience there is no cost attraction waiting with rebooking at the airport instead of doing that right now.

I remember several times being offered in the US earlier fligth during check-in for 20-50USD. But here in Europe situation is different. If you want to take earlier flight you can do that according to your fare and seat availibity. Unless you are in Y or B (booking class) you need to pay 50-100 Euro for rebooking plus fare difference if no seat available in your booking class.

So... try right now...

TP
Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:01 am

Aight, well this pretty much answers my question. Thanks guys!
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:16 am

A few years ago, in Milano, I requested to to board an earlier flight to Germany. My reservation was in one of the lowest booking classes (W or V), and there was a hefty change fee. I went directly to ticketing, explained that my plans had changed and that I knew my ticket was highly restricted, but in case they had available seats on the earlier flight, I'd be most grateful etc. One call to a supervisor and they gave me a boarding pass to the earlier flight. I was a Senator (gold) then, which surely helped.

Shuly
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:40 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
As you can read in the M&M lounge thread, I was lucky on Friday. They offered to take me on the earlier flight, I didn't even ask.

It depends on several factors, luck is one of them
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:46 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by shuly
A few years ago, in Milano, I requested to to board an earlier flight to Germany. My reservation was in one of the lowest booking classes (W or V), and there was a hefty change fee. I went directly to ticketing, explained that my plans had changed and that I knew my ticket was highly restricted, but in case they had available seats on the earlier flight, I'd be most grateful etc. One call to a supervisor and they gave me a boarding pass to the earlier flight. I was a Senator (gold) then, which surely helped.

Shuly
This might be to the more "relaxed" approach you can sometimes experience in Italy vs. Germany
Old Jun 29, 2008, 4:43 am
hch

Originally Posted by shuly
A few years ago, in Milano, I requested to to board an earlier flight to Germany. My reservation was in one of the lowest booking classes (W or V)
Not for European flights. W can cost up to about 2/3 of a full fare ticket and is generally changeable for just 50EUR. I've never actually seen a V fare for Kont-tickets, but as the order of booking classes is always the same it would be even more expensive and maybe less restrictive.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 5:16 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Well, if the flight you're ticketed on is overbooked, they more than happily move you to an earlier flight at no charge (but without compensation either!).
Old Jun 29, 2008, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I have been permitted to move to earlier flights, but probably only because the later flight was oversold thus actually helping out LH.

If your original flight is not oversold, there is little chance of getting rebooked free of charge - it would erode the entire fare structure. (Something US airlines never understood...)
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:17 am

Programs: LH FTL, UA 1K MM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I would still ask nicely. Explain the situation and expect nothing more than getting it done according to the rules, but I had about 50% success of free rebbokings in lowest booking classes...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
I had luck few times, but every time it was when arriving from US to EU. Once I was with my family, other times I was traveling alone, but asked nicely and it worked out. But several times it didn't work out as well. Usually in summer works out better then in other seasons.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Standby on LH?

This is probably a dumb question, but I have a UA PNR SFO-FRA-GVA-FRA-SFO. SFO-FRA is on UA, FRA-GVA is on LH. If I get to GVA early for my return, will LH let me standby on an earlier flight? I know once I get to FRA UA will let me fly standby.

Edited to add: UA codes this as a W class fare, but I don't know what that translates to on LH.

Last edited by Lightman7; Jul 20, 2008 at 10:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.