Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Our corporate office in Germany has negotiated a number of full flex C/D fares for 500-700EUR on the major EU routes out of MUC with LH, which is also an alternative
We have plenty of these, too, however surprisingly LH shows no flexibility when it comes to domestic routes. On domestic routes I get 99 Euro Flex tickets (all in) on all Air Berlin routes (however, no miles) and this is really a big challenge for LH.

For EU routes, it was pretty funny how flexible Lufti can be. I had a sales rep sitting in my office and I told the poor girl that I changed all my London flights to BA (better planes, better service, better lounges and much better fares on this particular route). There was even no need to talk about a certain number of tickets, she was instantly happy to offer a special D Class deal on LH.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL Plat (comped), BD
Necessary volume for discounted C?

Our corporate office in Germany has negotiated a number of full flex C/D fares for 500-700EUR on the major EU routes out of MUC with LH, which is also an alternative
Can you tell me anything about the volume of tickets you are buying?

We are a company with about 40 consultants, with probably 15 of them traveling intra-German and 10 intra-European every week, but usually end up paying 1200 to 1700 EUR for the flexible tickets.

Do you think it might be worth contacting Lufthansa or are we "under their radar"?

Thanks for any input,

Felix
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not believe that you have a chance for domestic tickets. We bought around 13.000 domestic tickets in 2007, not even a chance even to discuss about.

It was/is much easier for intra Europe flights. We have certain "racetracks" and get very good deals for these (FRA-NYC, FRA-LHR, FRA-PAR), with certainly 500 flights on each route a year. However, once you ask they are very free to give you special deals on other routes too. I experienced that for DUS-LON and for FRA-HKG. For HKG I just needed two tickets, asked and got what I wanted, a nice D class deal. I believe, as soon as you hit a certain volume they provide you more or less with whatever you ask for - as long as it is not domestic.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Felixberlin
We are a company with about 40 consultants, with probably 15 of them traveling intra-German and 10 intra-European every week, but usually end up paying 1200 to 1700 EUR for the flexible tickets.

Do you think it might be worth contacting Lufthansa or are we "under their radar"?
Hmm... our company is a MDax listed multi billion EUR corp with a own travel office linked/JVed to HRG and access to AmadeusNegofares, so its easy to get on LH's radar.

In your case I do hope you have signed up for PPB. Also it is wise to contract one corporate TA like HRG or BCD to do all your ticketing and FareNegotiations if you want to piggyback on the negotiated fares they get by sheer volume.

Another option would be to use a LH city centre or airport ticket team to do your ticketing. They also sell other airlines tix, so you are not bound to *A or LH.

Sure enough, a few months down the road you will be on your local LH sales office radar
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
... the only thing you can do is beat them using their own system: Buy three one Dollar (+ tax) ticket, use one and get a reimburse for the other two. If they want the have it that way I am happy to obey.
Last year I had two ticket for an earlier and a later flight. About 24 hours before the flight I got a call from LH asking me which one I wanted as they were going to cancel one of them !

I am not sure what would have happened if I had refused ? IDB ? Anyway I made a choice as I could not risk being denied boarding (I needed to get to the Wolrd Cup Final in Berlin..)
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Last year I had two ticket for an earlier and a later flight. About 24 hours before the flight I got a call from LH asking me which one I wanted as they were going to cancel one of them !
Interesting issue. My advise: Call your lawyer. They certainly can to that with unticketed reservations, but certainly not with a ticketed reservation. You have bought the ticket, paid for it and it is your choice what to do with the ticket.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Which is really one of the facts that I don't like about Lufthansa.

There are so many times when one of the appointments end early (domestic flight) and I would love to standby on an earlier flight but I don't feel like paying 100+ EUR for that.

Does it really hurt LH that much (no luggage) to allow me on the earlier flight if it is wide open? I am even happy to wait at the gate and basically hop on a few minutes before they close the door?

It really seems like nitpicking to me to not allow that.
That's why return flight is booked under more flexible booking class than the outbound flight.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 4:46 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, MR Platinum, BW Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
We bought around 13.000 domestic tickets in 2007,
... and how many of them you have actually flown and how many were just bought for "flexibility" purposes and taxes were refunded

Happy New Year !!!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
It all depends on the ticket. Of course there are flexible tickets that allow you to change flights and waitlist for full flights...... But some of the cheaper fares do not allow any change of only against a fee......
So I understand from this thread that standby (at least as we in the States know it) is not allowed on LH. However, if you have a flexible ticket, you can make changes without penalty. Therefore, you can in effect, stand by for an earlier flight.

My question is; when is it too late to change your ticket to fly on an earlier flight?

My situation is this: I intent to book a D fare ex-USA transiting through Frankfurt. There are two connecting flights leaving FRA, one 2.5 hours after my arrival and one 40 minutes after my arrival. Although a 40 minute connection in FRA is (IMO) do-able, it is illegal and I cannot book it. If I book the 2.5 hour connection and we arrive on time, can I walk up to the gate of the earlier flight as it is boarding and say "I wish to fly on this flight" (assuming there is space)? I will have only hand luggage.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by SJPaul
If I book the 2.5 hour connection and we arrive on time, can I walk up to the gate of the earlier flight as it is boarding and say "I wish to fly on this flight" (assuming there is space)? I will have only hand luggage.
If there is space they will take you on a D fare.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If there is space they will take you on a D fare.
Up until they close the door? Something like 10 minutes before departure?

And thanks for the quick response ^
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by SJPaul
Up until they close the door? Something like 10 minutes before departure?
Checkin usually closes 25min before departure and the door closes something like 10 before. If they have all pax, they might close earlier as slots in FRA are better taken when you can. Look at the flightstats for both this and you your incoming flight to check how it has been performing the last two months (use the history function)
Old Jan 12, 2008, 6:02 am

Programs: LH HON, BMI gold
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Does it really hurt LH that much (no luggage) to allow me on the earlier flight if it is wide open? I am even happy to wait at the gate and basically hop on a few minutes before they close the door?
My experience: it never works if you ask at checkin / at Ticket desk. But it works if you kindly ask at the gate, have a status, be patient and mostly last minute they let you on. But they can always claim that your ticket does not allow it, so the nicer you are and the better the day of the gate folks has been, the higher your chances are.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by muc_flyer
My experience: it never works if you ask at checkin / at Ticket desk. But it works if you kindly ask at the gate, have a status, be patient and mostly last minute they let you on. But they can always claim that your ticket does not allow it, so the nicer you are and the better the day of the gate folks has been, the higher your chances are.
thats absolutely my experience as well. i usually walk up to the gate, tell them that i'm earlier than expected and ask if there is anyway to put me on the earlier flight. most of the time this works. some sent me back to the transfer/ticket desk, but even those worked out mostly, as they just called the gate and told them that if they have space they should take me...
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by muc_flyer
Thanks for the advice. I will try the next time I am in that kind of situation ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.