Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade C to F or not?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Upgrade C to F or not?

I have a booked Z-Fare FRA-EWR (LH 402, 747) later in August this year. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be SEN at this time
Currently I could request an upgrade to F online - it's available. I've plenty of miles so it would't really hurt me spending 50000. Never ever flew F and so I've never seen the upper deck.

I guess lots of you usually fly in F. I'm wondering, if it might be worth an upgrade on such a "short" flight? Or should I keep the miles and try it on a west coast flight where I can longer enjoy F?

Otherwise I've realized that getting an upgrade with miles is complicated and I think I should take the occassion and do it.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for sharing your mind
hippo
Old Jun 24, 2008, 4:21 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
If you are flying alone on a 747, an upgrade from C to F is a pure waste of miles.

It might be that some consider my opinion as "overreaction", but I still stand by this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...postcount=2692

Just point 3 was caused by a misunderstanding (and my fault...).

Last edited by rorschi; Jun 24, 2008 at 4:32 am
Old Jun 24, 2008, 4:26 am

Programs: LH SEN, SK EBD, Marriot Gold
Z-f?

I personally think you should keep your Z seat. I did the same thing as you are thinking about once and I sort of regret the miles spent.
I think that the F class on 747 is not so much better than the businessclass. The seats are very similar, and you get champagne and caviar, and some improved service. The only thing that is a big difference is the lounge excperience which is far better (at least at FRA in F). But on the plane I think C/D/Z is good enough, at least for me. I also normally fly night flights where I dont get to use all the extra treatment in F, I try to sleep instead.

50000 miles is a lot of miles, but it is up to you if you want to spend them on this

And when you become a SEN you will get one free Long haul upgrade voucher anyway

But its your call, if you go F you will at least have a nice experience.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks rorschi and trpe for your input and the link!
I don't like alcoholic beverages, fish and caviar anyways.
FCT was one of my thoughts, but there's only about 1 hour between my inbound flight from LCY and the departure to EWR.

Based on your feedback, I tend to keep my 4K.

Thanks!! ^
Old Jun 24, 2008, 4:42 am

The seats in F are wider, the armrest beween the seat is wider. So you will have a bit more space, but a little less privacy, because there is no divider.
Also the F seats are flat, not slide down like the C seats. Better for sleeping, especially when you are tall and.or wide.
The nose of the 747 is quieter than the upper deck with all the traffic to/from the cockpit.
Food in F is better, service is nicer and more personal.
The video screen in C is much bigger, content is the same.

Keep your miles and use them for an F award to the west coast (140.000 miles).
Old Jun 24, 2008, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
My recommendation: Always upgrade to F if you can !
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: OW Em (AA EXP+5MM), AA CK, Delta Silver, UA 1K
My usual answer is ALWAYS upgrade.....however, in this case, I would say yes on an Airbus, no on the 747.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:25 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
My recommendation would be to use your evouchers that you get when you become a Senator to upgrade a longer flight (FRA-West Coast or Japan or SIN...). Save the miles to book award flights.

HTB.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:03 am

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
Here was a long thread about my upgrade C->F
1st First Class experience: Did I expect too much?
Compared to my case you will have access to the FirstClassTerminal,
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:01 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by htb
My recommendation would be to use your evouchers that you get when you become a Senator to upgrade a longer flight (FRA-West Coast or Japan or SIN...). Save the miles to book award flights.

HTB.
Scratch the West Coast - the most valuable upgrade you can get for your e-Vouchers is Southeast Asia/Far East (otherwise 65K miles). The West Coast is still North America (55K miles). If you don't fly to Asia, then by all means upgrade to N. Am., but there is more valued to be had from your e-Vouchers.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:16 pm

I would stay in 4 k for this day flight and save my voucher / miles for a night flight upgrade back to Europe at a later date. Sleeping is definitely better in F on the Bus or 747.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

This was really good feedback! Thanks to everybody.
I still do hope to get more opportunities to contribute more in this great forum.

I've decided to stay in Business.

Again, thanks!
hippo
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
My recommendation: Always upgrade to F if you can !
Hear hear....^
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by alex0683de
Scratch the West Coast - the most valuable upgrade you can get for your e-Vouchers is Southeast Asia/Far East (otherwise 65K miles). The West Coast is still North America (55K miles). If you don't fly to Asia, then by all means upgrade to N. Am., but there is more valued to be had from your e-Vouchers.
its 50k to upgrade C to F to the US...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by sentom
its 50k to upgrade C to F to the US...
Yep, eVouchers to/from Asia and miles to/from the US is my strategy.
I think I burnt through 8 eVouchers last year and now I am down to a sorry two remaining ones...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.