FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Automatic Check-In? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/819230-automatic-check.html)

lnz May 1, 2008 10:42 am

Automatic Check-In?

Hi all,

on my last flight I experienced something funny. Maybe you can help me with that.

I went to the Check-In machine, inserted my card and got the information "You are already checked in" or something like that. I was quite amazed because I have not checked in, neither by phone nor by OLCI. At the desk I asked and the lady told me that maybe SEN service did that for me.

Anybody knows if this is a common procedure?
If so, what are the rules for being checked-in by SEN service?
Or is this a SEN+ perk? ;)

The SEN hotline could not answer my question either, they said there is no such service.

Any help appreciated.

hch May 1, 2008 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by lnz (Post 9662181)
If so, what are the rules for being checked-in by SEN service?
Or is this a SEN+ perk? ;)

As a SEN or HON you're automatically checked in when the flight opens for check-in if there's a chance it'll get overbooked to prevent you from getting bumped.

Rambuster May 1, 2008 12:27 pm

As hch mentioned: status pax get auto check-in on oversold flights.

szg May 1, 2008 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster (Post 9662426)

I think, that this minimize the op-up chances. If you are showing up late, you are already checked in. :mad:

Rambuster May 1, 2008 12:51 pm

I would assume that these flights are oversold in all cabins and thus the auto check-in protects status pax from being bumped if arriving late. Actually a good feature.

lnz May 1, 2008 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by hch (Post 9662387)
As a SEN or HON you're automatically checked in when the flight opens for check-in if there's a chance it'll get overbooked to prevent you from getting bumped.

Quite nice, does this work on all *A flights worldwide?

Rambuster May 1, 2008 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by lnz (Post 9662664)
Quite nice, does this work on all *A flights worldwide?

Only LH. (not sure about LX & OS??)

lnz May 1, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanks for the info.

I will try to find out for OS.

roundtheworld May 1, 2008 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by szg (Post 9662442)
I think, that this minimize the op-up chances. If you are showing up late, you are already checked in. :mad:

To the contrary -- I am always already check in by the time I arrive -- sometimes 10-12 hours before. No influence on op-ups whatsoever.

flysurfer May 1, 2008 2:04 pm

Recently, I was auto-checked-in for a flight that was half empty.

Lennart May 2, 2008 2:06 am

i was told that all SEN/HON get auto checked in 2 hours before the flight. full or not. but you should regardless be able to get your BP out of the machine and not have to go to the counter.

Would also say it has no influence on op-ups. Received them as early as the evening before as late as at the gate when they put the boarding pass into the reader. so am tempted to say they come independent from time of check in.

bau31888 May 2, 2008 2:37 am

Originally Posted by flysurfer (Post 9662987)
Recently, I was auto-checked-in for a flight that was half empty.

dito, I was checked in in BRE few weeks ago, even if the flight wasn't full at all. Good things: Seatblocking worked and no problems with CKI deadline (I arrived after the normal deadline, but before the pickupdeadline fpr precheckedin pax)...

hscholz May 2, 2008 3:44 pm

BTW: US Airways also does this. I arrived late at PHX an hour ago and was check into a direct PHX-HNL (from PHX-OGG-HNL). They bumped another First Class passenger off his seat as he did not check in already (4h before the flight).
US25 apparently is overbooked by 25 people right now.

Rambuster May 2, 2008 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by hscholz (Post 9668598)
BTW: US Airways also does this. I arrived late at PHX an hour ago and was check into a direct PHX-HNL (from PHX-OGG-HNL). They bumped another First Class passenger off his seat as he did not check in already (4h before the flight).
US25 apparently is overbooked by 25 people right now.

You poor soul, having to fly on US !
My last experience on US was out of LAS. The FA made an announcement before takeoff an accused everyone of drinking heavily the night before (as this is Vegas) and said: "We are expecting some turbulence and if anyone needs to vomit, please call now before take-off to get a sick bag - we don't want you all vomiting during the climb"....unbelievable.

szg Jun 26, 2008 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster (Post 9662426)

Today for my flight back from WAW I canīt use the OLCI, because I am already checked in. Have now seen, that my flight is overbooked.