Wiki Posts
Search

LH FCT/FCL lounge not accessible with *A F

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2008, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Arrow LH FCT/FCL lounge not accessible with *A F

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I am really hoping for nicer lounges in FRA but I do not support the trend to make only basic lounges available to *G and leave the top lounges to each airlines own frequent flyers.
i am completely supporting this trend! the LH business lounges are perfectly adequate for *G, especially if you compare them with other airlines offerings in *G lounges. SK, LX, UA, US, AC, NH, they all offer not more (sometimes even less) in their *G lounges. TG and SQ are sometimes better, but do also restrict their top lounges to their own F flyers or top status holders.

C lounges for *G and *A C flyers
SEN lounges for SENs and *A F flyers
HON lounges for HONs and LH/LX F flyers

i'd rather have that sooner than later...
Old Mar 20, 2008, 5:31 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sentom
the LH business lounges are perfectly adequate for *G, especially if you compare them with other airlines offerings in *G lounges. SK, LX, UA, US, AC, NH, they all offer not more (sometimes even less) in their *G lounges.
I entirely agree with you which pax should be able to use which LH lounge, but the NH *G lounge at NRT has free wifi available to anybody and a better selection of food than LH business lounges. RCC at NRT also has free wifi. Both have plenty of seating - at least when I was there.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 20, 2008 at 5:36 am
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I entirely agree with you which pax should be able to use which LH lounge, but the NH *G lounge at NRT has free wifi available to anybody and a better selection of food than LH business lounges. RCC at NRT also has free wifi. Both have plenty of seating - at least when I was there.
you are of course right, there is certainly good ones around. but unlike many of our frequent traveling friends, i dont think that a lounge is great just because its big (SFO RCC and SIN SKL come to mind), it of course helps if there are seats available , but pay for drinks in the one and absolutely no daylight in the other? the free wifi is an issue though.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
i am completely supporting this trend! the LH business lounges are perfectly adequate for *G, especially if you compare them with other airlines offerings in *G lounges. SK, LX, UA, US, AC, NH, they all offer not more (sometimes even less) in their *G lounges. TG and SQ are sometimes better, but do also restrict their top lounges to their own F flyers or top status holders.

Your opinion is based on lots of *A flying. What you see in FRA etc is the following: Overcrowded SEN lounges because of too many SENs and *G. So your solution is the easy way out (and most probably what LH will do). Just kick people out of the SEN lounges.

I agree with you that something needs to be done, but rather than reducing demand (=reducing eligible people) I favour a different approach.

Most of my flying is on oneworld and this gives you a different solution: Build FCL big enough to accommodate all *G.

CX, BA and QF show that this is possible. Sure, you need to triple the current lounge space and convert them into something far nicer than a SEN lounge, but it is possible. You can build lounges with cabanas, shower rooms, restaurants, quite rooms, spa, library etc big enough to accommodate all top tier frequent flyers of your alliance.

If each airline is now going back to cut the alliance benefits then the alliance becomes worthless and LH as the main *A airline shouldn't go down that route.

Improve the service and increase supply rather than decrease demand artificially. And if you want to decrease demand, then there is another way: Make Star Gold harder to get. The top status of an alliance should get you access to the top facilities of that alliance.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Most of my flying is on oneworld and this gives you a different solution: Build FCL big enough to accommodate all *G.
while this is a nice thought, where is the space in FRA for instance to do build lounges with three times the space?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 3:31 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
while this is a nice thought, where is the space in FRA for instance to do build lounges with three times the space?
You can always build higher. QF basically put an extra floor ontop of SYD airport to accommodate the F lounge.
But FRA is tight and all of this is not going to happen so I will continue to sit in SEN lounges of mediocre quality.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 4:02 am
hch

You can always build higher. QF basically put an extra floor ontop of SYD airport to accommodate the F lounge.
But FRA is tight and all of this is not going to happen so I will continue to sit in SEN lounges of mediocre quality.
Well, in case you haven't read the previous posts in the threads that's kindof exactly what's happening here. Fraport/LH is rebuilding most of FRA T1 (except for the existing A gates and the B non-schengen gates) to have a new level ontop of the existing terminal which is almost exclusively lounges, with the added benefit of also directly boarding from that level, be that through the upper jet-bridge to an A380 or via an escalator to the normal jet-bridge.

Last edited by hch; Mar 21, 2008 at 4:56 am Reason: add missing g
Old Mar 21, 2008, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat

CX, BA and QF show that this is possible.
BA do not allow access to their "real" F lounge to OW F PAX and OW Emeralds. The Concorde Room at LHR T4 is open only to BA and QF F class ticket holders and to those who hold the rough equivalent of HON status with BA.

Following the move to LHR T5 only BA F PAX and uber status holders will have access to the Concorde Room, this is very like LH's FCT/FCL concept.

Admittedly other OW carriers do not follow the same pattern but none of the other OW carriers have 3 different lounge tiers AFAIK.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:22 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
BA do not allow access to their "real" F lounge to OW F PAX and OW Emeralds. The Concorde Room at LHR T4 is open only to BA and QF F class ticket holders and to those who hold the rough equivalent of HON status with BA.

Following the move to LHR T5 only BA F PAX and uber status holders will have access to the Concorde Room, this is very like LH's FCT/FCL concept.

Admittedly other OW carriers do not follow the same pattern but none of the other OW carriers have 3 different lounge tiers AFAIK.
I am not opposed to airlines having some special facilities for their top customers (like the Concord Room or the LH FCT). BTW, also QF Chairmans Lounge have access to the Concord Room irrespective of class of travel. And QF also has a special lounge only for Chairmans Club.

But the BA F lounge is a proper F lounge. Even more so in T5. Full sit down dining, lots of workstations, free Wifi, Champagne Bar etc. This compares to the LH F lounges but is accessible for OW Emeralds.

But I guess LH is only building bigger SEN lounges which don't even compare to a Qantas Club in Brisbane of Hobart.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: LH/LX
Arrow LH FCT/FCL lounge not accessible with *A F

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
For the person who asked whether they should come to the C terminal or go to the FCT:
Unless you are an airport junkie who is curious about their new setup and the way they are dealing with A380s, I would urge you to use the FCT. While the new setup is nice, it in no way compares to the offerings of the FCT. I am sorry that I didn't pay attention to whether there is an FCL in this part of the terminal.
Thanks for your answer. I don't think there is a FCL, will therefore head for the FCT.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
TG and SQ are sometimes better, but do also restrict their top lounges to their own F flyers or top status holders.

You are flat out wrong.

Any passenger departing from BKK on a Star Alliance flight in F is permitted access to the TG F lounge. Same thing with SQ at SIN.

The ONLY Star carrier violating this Star Alliance rule is LH. PERIOD.

If LH wants to play its own game with lounge access, it should leave Star and joing One World where that kind of crap goes on. Until then, LH should follow the rules it agreed to when joining the Star Alliance.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Any passenger departing from BKK on a Star Alliance flight in F is permitted access to the TG F lounge. Same thing with SQ at SIN.
TG? F lounge you can use, but not the spa for instance, so TOP product, only for TG F flyers.

SQ, its completley new to me that ALL *A F pax can use the SKL. as far as i know its only SQ and LH pax who use it. but i might be wrong, it doesnt matter too much since i personally think the SKL in SIN is quiet crappy anyway. definitely no comparison to LHs offer...

LOL! since you are SQPPS5, i didnt expect anything other answer!
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
TG? F lounge you can use, but not the spa for instance, so TOP product, only for TG F flyers.
A spa is not a lounge. Apples and oranges comparison.

SQ, its completley new to me that ALL *A F pax can use the SKL. as far as i know its only SQ and LH pax who use it.
That has always been the case that SQ F lounge is available to all *A F, ever since SQ joined *A.

Perhaps you are getting confused with the SIN C lounge not being a *G lounge but instead there is special *G lounge (SATS in T2 and KF Gold in T3)?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Perhaps you are getting confused with the SIN C lounge not being a *G lounge but instead there is special *G lounge (SATS in T2 and KF Gold in T3)?
yes, i was under the impression that the same goes for the F section, but i didnt know since i was always on either on LH F or SQ F
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:22 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

You are flat out wrong.

If LH wants to play its own game with lounge access, it should leave Star and joing One World where that kind of crap goes on. Until then, LH should follow the rules it agreed to when joining the Star Alliance.
I actually agree with you that it is against the spirit of an alliance to restrict the top product to their own customers. And it is strange that a person departing on LH F from BKK can use the (very nice) F lounge and a person departing on TG F from FRA can only use the (not very nice) SEN lounges.

BTW, things on the oneworld side are actually better, not worse than Star Alliance. You always have access to the best available lounges as a oneworld Emerald. The only exception I know of is the Concord Room at LHR T4/T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.