Community
Wiki Posts
Search

op ups - who's chosen first

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:16 am

Programs: LH Sen, IHG Spire, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The Upgrade priority list of LH's check-in system goes:

HON
SEN
FTL
M&M

No *A status !

For the competition within status, I have no idea but obviously there must be an indicator.
My expierence is, that with same status they go by booking class, obviously "full fare first".
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
You forgot the HON+
And SEN+ as well

Excuse my ignorance
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG
Hm, nobody mentioned "Friends & Family" yet....
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:46 pm

I am sure that going by hierarchy cannot be a hard and fast rule. Otherwise I could not understand why I have been so lucky with upgrades so far.

I'm a lowly FTL, I fly transatlantic on average about four times a year, always on the cheapest possible fare (since it comes out of my operating budget), and for years now, my upgrade percentage has been well above 50%. (In one year, 2005, it was even 100%.) Sometimes I ask -- nicely -- whether they have an upgrade for me, but most of the times the upgrade is waiting for me already when I check in. Oftentimes my wife (standard M&M member) is with me and she gets upgraded as well as a matter of course.

I mostly fly IAD-FRA which is heavy with SENs and that's why I think that hierachy alone cannot be the only factor. In my case, the only 'reason' I can think of why I would have earned any special consideration with LH is that I've been a loyal, consistent customer for thirty years and I have been an FTL for 25 years, even before the M&M program was established. Of course, I don't know whether this counts for anything in LH's eyes, but as long as I keep receiving upgrades, I will not speculate, and I will remain a loyal LH customer.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:29 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by iadh
I am sure that going by hierarchy cannot be a hard and fast rule. Otherwise I could not understand why I have been so lucky with upgrades so far.

I'm a lowly FTL, I fly transatlantic on average about four times a year, always on the cheapest possible fare (since it comes out of my operating budget), and for years now, my upgrade percentage has been well above 50%. (In one year, 2005, it was even 100%.) Sometimes I ask -- nicely -- whether they have an upgrade for me, but most of the times the upgrade is waiting for me already when I check in. Oftentimes my wife (standard M&M member) is with me and she gets upgraded as well as a matter of course.

I mostly fly IAD-FRA which is heavy with SENs and that's why I think that hierachy alone cannot be the only factor. In my case, the only 'reason' I can think of why I would have earned any special consideration with LH is that I've been a loyal, consistent customer for thirty years and I have been an FTL for 25 years, even before the M&M program was established. Of course, I don't know whether this counts for anything in LH's eyes, but as long as I keep receiving upgrades, I will not speculate, and I will remain a loyal LH customer.
My wild guess is that 95% of IAD SEN are flying in C or F ... .thus an FTL will have a chance ... for a Y-C upgrade.

And being at the home station helps.

Last time I flew they asked if I wanted to be upgraded (with my daughter) I asked them to where as I was already in F ...

we laughed....
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Don't know how much home station helps. BOS ground staff is changed so often and for summer schedule, they bring in additional staff from overseas.
I was never asked if I would like to be upgraded, but recently was lucky with trips from BOS to FRA, as plane was regularly overbooked, so lots of op-ups

P.S. there are SEN that buy only Y tickets
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by LHWolf
My expierence is, that with same status they go by booking class, obviously "full fare first".
Full Fare First are exactly those who'd need an op up ...
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM

HON..
Your fresh, untainted, and positive approach to all LH orchestrates is indeed cheering.

My experience is quite telling that there is no system that the staff is following consistently - I am a measly SEN and got op-upped numerous times from C->F when there must have been tons of bigger spenders in the C cabin. And I did nto score one Y->C mid or longhaul upgrade in my 10 years as SEN when my status probably would have meant something there.

PMS. mood, lizard tail. horoscope all sound like much more likely criteria to my LH experiences ...
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weero
Your fresh, untainted, and positive approach to all LH orchestrates is indeed cheering.

My experience is quite telling that there is no system that the staff is following consistently - I am a measly SEN and got op-upped numerous times from C->F when there must have been tons of bigger spenders in the C cabin. And I did nto score one Y->C mid or longhaul upgrade in my 10 years as SEN when my status probably would have meant something there.

PMS. mood, lizard tail. horoscope all sound like much more likely criteria to my LH experiences ...
Exactly that is the problem There is nothing that you could really rely on when thinking about op-up's.

Everyone follows his own guidelines, especially the older and more experienced GA's... at least that is my experience.

I'm going to be FTL soon so maybe the upgrade statistic will be better then
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:27 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by volta
P.S. there are SEN that buy only Y tickets
aka SEN- ?

Last edited by GK1998; Apr 7, 2008 at 10:43 pm
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by roundtheworld
You forgot the HON+
And SEN+ as well

Excuse my ignorance
whaaaaaaaaaa... please not again!

Originally Posted by LHWolf
"full fare first".
well if you already fly full fare F, where do you want to be upgraded to? the cockpit?!
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:58 am
Suspended

Not on LH but on OS I was given an op-up to C ahead of my friend who is *G. When my friend asked about why I was given the op-up and not her, she indicated that they prefer to upgrade M&M status members before looking at other airlines. Worked for me ^
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by GK1998
aka SEN- ?
thank you. I updated my profile based on your input
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:43 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold

HON
SEN
FTL
M&M

No *A status !

For the competition within status, I have no idea but obviously there must be an indicator.
It is according to my experience more like:
HON/VIPs
LH pilotes
SEN
FTL
M&M
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:53 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by riku2
op ups - who's chosen first
Correct answer: me !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.