Wiki Posts
Search

Gate checking luggage in FRA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Gate checking luggage in FRA?

I'll be flying UA SFO-FRA and switching to LH to FLR. I would like to hold on to my carry-on sized luggage as long as possible (2 pcs) since so many people have told me their luggage has been delayed or lost FRA-FLR. So I'd like to carry on the UA flight, clear C&I in FRA then hand over 1 piece of luggage at the gate if possible or drop it off at a plane side cart - the plane is an ARJ. I've heard I may not be able to get past security with 2 pcs - we're just flying coach on LH. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:33 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by ERtraveler
I'll be flying UA SFO-FRA and switching to LH to FLR. I would like to hold on to my carry-on sized luggage as long as possible (2 pcs) since so many people have told me their luggage has been delayed or lost FRA-FLR. So I'd like to carry on the UA flight, clear C&I in FRA then hand over 1 piece of luggage at the gate if possible or drop it off at a plane side cart - the plane is an ARJ. I've heard I may not be able to get past security with 2 pcs - we're just flying coach on LH. Any suggestions?
My experience is that security doesn't care unless you are not too unreasonable about the size, etc. of your carry-ons. You will run into discussions at the gate with the agent and they will make you gate check-it which of course is what you want.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:54 am

>>>drop it off at a plane side cart - the plane is an ARJ

Delivery at aircraft is not offered on the ARJ. So you'll probably end up having to check your bag on that second leg. Since the SFO-FRA leg doesn't seem to be a concern for you, you might as well check that second piece right at the beginning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.