Wiki Posts
Search

Even LH has Weight Issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Even LH has Weight Issues

Three friends of mine wanted to fly LCY-HAM on Sunday. Flight operated by an ATR 42.

They arrived well in time, but only got standby boarding passes without seat numbers. Sure enough, while they were waiting at the gate, they are told that they can't fly due to weight issues. Apparently too much wind, so more fuel needed than usual. On such a short route, sounds like made up to me. Probably just overbooked and no status (not even M/M) and booking class T didn't give them the highest priority I guess.

They then decided to reroute via FRA, stay overnight in the Intercity hotel, and fly to HAM the next morning. Their main complaint was that nobody at LH in LCY spoke German (their English is not so good), and that they were told to go back out of security in order to queue there instead of getting rebooked directly at the gate.

As infrequent flyers, this whole procedure seemed very odd to them as well - to be kicked off a flight is just something they weren't used to.

They received their IDB compensation of €250 each in FRA in cash.

There were no calls for volunteers, by the way, which I find the most disturbing thing.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:07 am

Programs: LH
Lightbulb London City and Status

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
There were no calls for volunteers, by the way, which I find the most disturbing thing.
London City - I would not be surprised if there were only SEN and HON on that flight ^
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:20 am
Raf

Programs: M@M FT, Flying Blue, BA Exec. Club, CSA Plus
London City Airport

London City Airport has a very short runway. If the plane seems to be overloaded - they could decide to proceed it due to take off possibility.
Otherwise , it's a great airport to fly from.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:25 am

Programs: LX
I was flying LCY-BSL last week on an AVRO-100 (LX 487).
The gate manager had to shift 4 passengers from row 19 and 20 to rows 5 and 6 due to load balance problems. Weight is an issue when flying from LCY due to the short runway.

Last edited by Fotti; Dec 4, 2007 at 3:41 am
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:50 am

Programs: LH
Talking London City and Avro

Originally Posted by Raf
London City Airport has a very short runway. If the plane seems to be overloaded - they could decide to proceed it due to take off possibility.
SWISS had problems with one Avro not a long time ago in London City. I am sure that they do not want more problems reported to the press.
Originally Posted by Raf
Yes, this is a great airport. Only other exception: No lounge.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:18 am
Original Poster

In total, 5 passengers were denied boarding. I wonder why the wind would have been an issue in causing weight problems?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:39 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
In total, 5 passengers were denied boarding. I wonder why the wind would have been an issue in causing weight problems?
I am just guessing, but maybe because LCY only has one very short runway they have a problem for planes to reach take off speed when the wind is coming from the wrong direction. If they can not take off against the wind and need extra fuel because of winds en route this might push the over the limit.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 5:37 am

Programs: LH, BA, DL
Originally Posted by Raf
Originally Posted by chumbawumba
Yes, this is a great airport. Only other exception: No lounge.
I think LCY is a wonderful airport to fly into and a fairly dreadful one to fly out of. Okay, so the security is a lot smoother than it CAN BE (not: usually is) at LHR, but as chumbawumba says, there is no lounge, and to add insult to injury, they charge an arm and a leg for drinks (which also explains why there is no lounge, by the way). Moreover, in the case of irrops, you better get to LHR real fast - you're not going to go anywhere from LCY.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Because what was referred to as "wind" was actually a gale force storm in much of the northwest of Europe and the British Isles, blowing more or less head-on into any aircraft attempting a HAM-LON. Flying time increases, fuel consumption increases, and range plummets. So you offload people.

Usually it's worse the other way round - on some routes, certain aircraft are weight restricted out of LCY even with benign weather, due to runway lenght.

Tom
Old Dec 4, 2007, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Because what was referred to as "wind" was actually a gale force storm in much of the northwest of Europe and the British Isles, blowing more or less head-on into any aircraft attempting a HAM-LON.
Except they were flying LCY-HAM, so with a gale force storm they could have almost glided to HAM without any fuel required.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 1:38 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Except they were flying LCY-HAM, so with a gale force storm they could have almost glided to HAM without any fuel required.
if they didn't have to attempt take off with tailwind for some reason...
Old Dec 5, 2007, 5:12 am

Hopefully every airline would opt for more fuel under stormy conditions just in case the destination airport could be closed or not available on arrival. Does anyone remember the unfortunate LX flight to HAM some years ago?

destination HAM - not available due to thunderstorms
alternate BRE, HAJ, TXL - not available due to thunderstorms
At some point, fuel was low, they made an emergency landing on a small airport in the middle of nowhere with a partly closed runway. Nobody injured, but the plane was severely damaged.

The flight route is shown on page 23 of this file:
http://www.bfu-web.de/nn_41542/DE/Pu...tin07-2002.pdf
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
ooops... sorry about that. Silly me.
Still, they would need to load some extra fuel in case HAM and the usual alternates would all close.
I still wonder how many (if any ) PAX made it to LCY from HAM...
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
ooops... sorry about that. Silly me.
Still, they would need to load some extra fuel in case HAM and the usual alternates would all close.
I still wonder how many (if any ) PAX made it to LCY from HAM...
Arrived on time with an actual flight time of 1h21min:
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ate=2007-12-02

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.