Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M credit card for US residents [merged Barclays MasterCard thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:54 am

Programs: LH MM
would love to sign up. have a US address, we have a family bank account but i am not a permanent resident as it asks for towards the bottom. true shame as the offer seems really really good.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by Lennart
but i am not a permanent resident
Neither am I, but I wasn't asked it, either.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:27 am

Programs: LH MM
on the apply form at the bottom it says:

By pressing APPLY I certify that:

I am at least 18 years old and a permanent resident of the United States;
I understand that Barclays may call me in connection with this application and for other matters relating to this account;
I have reviewed and accept the Terms and Conditions that were provided before I applied for each account; and
I have truthfully and completely provided the information on this application.

Maybe I can overlook that...
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:29 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Lennart
on the apply form at the bottom it says:

By pressing APPLY I certify that:

I am at least 18 years old and a permanent resident of the United States;
I understand that Barclays may call me in connection with this application and for other matters relating to this account;
I have reviewed and accept the Terms and Conditions that were provided before I applied for each account; and
I have truthfully and completely provided the information on this application.

Maybe I can overlook that...
There usually is no problem with applying as a temporary resident. The bigger issue some people who do not live in the US will face is the fact that they do not have a credit history in the US. And when Barclays is doing the credit check it will come back without result and they will decline your application.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
There usually is no problem with applying as a temporary resident. The bigger issue some people who do not live in the US will face is the fact that they do not have a credit history in the US. And when Barclays is doing the credit check it will come back without result and they will decline your application.
Yes, the application doesn't work w/o a Social Security number.

According my visa, I'm technically not a permanent resident of the U.S. (so I have to use the "visitor" entrance in immigration). Then again, my visa allows me to get my a Social Security card, driver's license, cell phone contracts (iPhone!) and most importantly a credit history. Funnily, I have very good credit, even though I don't earn one single dollar in the U.S. and am taxing in Germany. Then again, I could actually legally apply and get a job with a U.S. employer, and my visa allows for virtually unlimited stays.

I really like my visa, as it's as easy and inexpensive to get and renew as a standard tourist visa. Still, I enjoy pretty much the same benefits as a greencard holder / permanent resident.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum
Wow!

This is one of the best deals i have seen in months!

I see it this way: get 20k miles for signing up and 15k for balance transfers. The annual fee is $79 and the balance transfer fee is capped at $50.

If i transfer $15,000 from another credit card to make use of the full balance transfer bonus and the 0% APR on balance transfers I make about $375 in interest (assuming 5%) by not paying my credit card off and keeping the balance in my account until the 0% introductory period is over.

Assuming that we value miles conservatively at $0.01 (and we all know they are worth more) I get a value of about $600 for free ($375 + $350 - $79 - $50) just for applying.

Amazing deal!!!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by flysurfer

I really like my visa, as it's as easy and inexpensive to get and renew as a standard tourist visa. Still, I enjoy pretty much the same benefits as a greencard holder / permanent resident.
Sounds interesting, what class is that?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
Sounds interesting, what class is that?
I class.
(O wasn't available.)
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Thanks for the post!

Main thing is the no expiry of miles - This is fantastic!:

"Unlimited validity of miles with Miles & More Credit Cards

* Your award miles will not expire after 36 months, but will remain valid for an unlimited time if you meet the following conditions:
- You are a Miles & More Credit Card holder for at least 3 months, and
- Each month you need to have minimum 1 purchase with the
Miles & More Credit Card (incl. partner card) which is eligible for miles - First time, the mileage decay defers as of September 30, 2007
* None of your award miles will expire - it doesn't matter if you earned/will earn them with flights, purchases or specials offered by other Miles & More partners"

Link: http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...3089&solo=norm

the link shown has the following caveat:

# Mileage expiry will be suspended under the above mentioned conditions for the following Miles & More Credit Cards:
the statement is somewhat convoluted, but I think it means that if the card is not named , purchases do not extend the expiry of points.

the USA card is not named.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
the USA card is not named.
Of course not, because it's NEW!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I've got my application in and received a ^.

Not that too many here in this forum might care, but I did notice that Barclays/Juniper still do not support (and haven't for years) the U.S. military postal codes. It just seems odd that they would ignore the 100's of thousands of U.S. military members and their family members who are potential customers. It's as if Barclays/Juniper thinks no one in the U.S. military would have a credit card (?).
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Grog
I've got my application in and received a ^.

Not that too many here in this forum might care, but I did notice that Barclays/Juniper still do not support (and haven't for years) the U.S. military postal codes. It just seems odd that they would ignore the 100's of thousands of U.S. military members and their family members who are potential customers. It's as if Barclays/Juniper thinks no one in the U.S. military would have a credit card (?).
Most probably more of an IT issue until they have the APOs incorporated.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by a2663171
This is one of the best deals i have seen in months!

I see it this way: get 20k miles for signing up and 15k for balance transfers. The annual fee is $79 and the balance transfer fee is capped at $50.

If i transfer $15,000 from another credit card to make use of the full balance transfer bonus and the 0% APR on balance transfers I make about $375 in interest (assuming 5%) by not paying my credit card off and keeping the balance in my account until the 0% introductory period is over.

Assuming that we value miles conservatively at $0.01 (and we all know they are worth more) I get a value of about $600 for free ($375 + $350 - $79 - $50) just for applying.

Amazing deal!!!
I think you should consider the balance transfer fees in your calculations. (if any apply to BT's)

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Oct 3, 2007 at 4:17 pm Reason: Rephrased for clarity!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
I was a little concerned that LH would not have someone else pick them up in the U.S. - Clearly this concern was not warranted.

Goodbye BOA/MBNA - Hello Barclays. The benefit of not having miles expire is a big plus to this.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Did anyone pickup whether the 15k for balance transfers is only for those done at sign-up or any balance transfer (within the first year or similar)? I have a property tax payment coming up which I can pay for with a credit card (2% fee), and then transfer that balance to the M&M card for 0 APR for 6 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.