Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Negative account balance [merged repayment of SEN overdraft thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by cdsen
I quite don't get it what children under 6 years suddenly have to do with it ?
He probably has opened M&M account for his 7 kids and took an overdraft on all of them...
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN, EK Gold, Sixt Plat, HHonors Gold
:rofl:
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: LH, BA, DL
Originally Posted by bertheike
^ I would say this is the most inteligent post in this thread. ! ^
I quite agree with the statement (if not the speling ) - but then again, the poster is easily the most intelligent person on this board!

On an unrelated note, I find it interesting that most people discussing the issue here are falling for LH's way of spinning the story - after all, they called it an overdraft, so it must clearly be a loan, right?! Before the rules were changed, one way of looking at this (maybe the more straightforward one) is that LH was simply waiving, in part, the requirements for an award (i.e., up to 150K miles per SEN on the understanding that the missing miles would be applied against future ones) - to me, that does not necessarily qualify as a loan, particularly since LH never mentioned "repayment" (again, under the old rules). But what do I know ...
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by LH_Fan
Before the rules were changed, one way of looking at this (maybe the more straightforward one) is that LH was simply waiving, in part, the requirements for an award (i.e., up to 150K miles per SEN on the understanding that the missing miles would be applied against future ones) - to me, that does not necessarily qualify as a loan, particularly since LH never mentioned "repayment" (again, under the old rules). But what do I know ...
So what do you understand under "Vorschuss"?

SmilingBoy.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
the poster is easily the most intelligent person on this board!

Just a humble 136, but thanks

On an unrelated note, I find it interesting that most people discussing the issue here are falling for LH's way of spinning the story - after all, they called it an overdraft, so it must clearly be a loan, right?! Before the rules were changed, one way of looking at this (maybe the more straightforward one) is that LH was simply waiving, in part, the requirements for an award (i.e., up to 150K miles per SEN on the understanding that the missing miles would be applied against future ones) - to me, that does not necessarily qualify as a loan, particularly since LH never mentioned "repayment" (again, under the old rules). But what do I know ...
From what I heave HEARD (not experienced), the overdraft initially startet as a replacement for a number of paper upgrade vouchers (voucher booklet) early SENs used to get (long before I was a M&M status member) as soon as they made SEN. As those vouchers were "enhanced away", SENs got the "overdraft" in return, which they could use to upgrade the same or a similar number of flights. This would also explain the early "you don't have to pay it back" nature of this loan.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
...if not the speling ...
Nice spelling !
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by flysurfer
From what I heave HEARD (not experienced), the overdraft initially startet as a replacement for a number of paper upgrade vouchers (voucher booklet) early SENs used to get (long before I was a M&M status member) as soon as they made SEN. As those vouchers were "enhanced away", SENs got the "overdraft" in return, which the could use to upgrade the same or a similar number of flights. This would also explain the early "you don't have to pay it back" nature of this loan.
Yes you are correct. Before *A and *G status -in the very early days- SENs got these paper vouchers. This was when the SEN card was still white and not gold. (And having SEN status was still special )

The entire overdraft possibility fell to pieces when LH did the *A status match in the UK where every Tom, Dick or Harry got their SEN card and used the overdraft to take an F trip to the US for 140k miles and never paid any of these miles back.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:11 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by cdsen
I quite don't get it what children under 6 years suddenly have to do with it ?
Well. my youngest was just 3 years old when he became SEN first time !
Now I would like to know if bankers give a loan to a 3 years old ?
But LH did ! So they can not expect to get anything back.

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by bertheike
sorry but that's bullsh..... !
using the overdraft is/was not a single act of a contract !
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I would not have expected any other highly qualified and polite answer from you, bertheike,
What is making use of an overdraft??

In former times they called it "Überziehung", today they call it "Meilenvorschuss". Being able to speek German, I am pretty much aware (even without using my sick lawyer's brain) what a Vorschuss is. You have to earn the amount given as a Vorschuss or you have to pay it. back. And what is "Überziehung"? You have to pay it back. This is common sense, but for somebody divding one ticket into four different contracts.....
I refrain from using the same kind of language you use...
By the way normaly I use them as 16 different contracts , and execpt once it worked ! At least for me !

Last edited by bertheike; Oct 3, 2007 at 1:21 am
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
So what do you understand under "Vorschuss"?

SmilingBoy.
Whilst this is by no means the only possible interpretation, I would argue that that's just a word. No SEN was interested in the miles per se - they were interested in the bonus flight.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:26 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Well. my youngest was just 3 years old when he became SEN first time !
Now I would like to know if bankers give a loan to a 3 years old ?
But LH did ! So they can not expect to get anything back.
I doubt the 3-year old applied for the overdraft, but you. So I can't see why you shouldn't be responsible for paying it back.

The discussion is ridiculous - it is crystal clear that LH has a right for repayment; the question is whether they will pursue this in court or not. I hope they will, at least with the freeloaders that never had a paid flight on LH.

I'm happy for this discussion though, it will make me much more careful who to lend money to in the future, otherwise I'll get responses like "Oh, I was never interested in the money, just the flight I bought using the money you lent me. So why should I pay you back now?"...

SmilingBoy.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:06 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
I doubt the 3-year old applied for the overdraft, but you. So I can't see why you shouldn't be responsible for paying it back.

The discussion is ridiculous - it is crystal clear that LH has a right for repayment; the question is whether they will pursue this in court or not. I hope they will, at least with the freeloaders that never had a paid flight on LH......

SmilingBoy.
Sorry, but that's simply stupid.
Anybody having the accountno. and the pin could aply for the tickets/overdraft !
Also as already posted bevore, a few days bevore the new T/C came up, it was already posted on FT. And bevore I used the miles I called M&L and asked them " what happens if a SEN use the miles/overdraft and later does not exept the new T/C ? And the answer was " nothing ".
Only an overdraft used after the change, we will charge if it is not payed back in miles.
May be I have stored this phone call on my PC in Germany.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:36 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Anybody having the accountno. and the pin could aply for the tickets/overdraft !
Also as already posted bevore, a few days bevore the new T/C came up, it was already posted on FT. And bevore I used the miles I called M&L and asked them " what happens if a SEN use the miles/overdraft and later does not exept the new T/C ? And the answer was " nothing ".
Only an overdraft used after the change, we will charge if it is not payed back in miles.
May be I have stored this phone call on my PC in Germany.
What a nonsense. Kids below 7 are "Geschäftsunfähig" (incapable of contracting). Kids below 18 still have limited capability to enter into contracts.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
What a nonsense.
Look, I understand that today we have every reason to be frustrated, but can we please take it out on the Ossis, not on each other?!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:53 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Look, I understand that today we have every reason to be frustrated, but can we please take it out on the Ossis, not on each other?!
Sorry, but if one is arguing with contracts of 3-year old kids, this is pure nonsense. Doesn't matter, whether Ossie, Wessie, Northie or Southie.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
What a nonsense. Kids below 7 are "Geschäftsunfähig" (incapable of contracting). Kids below 18 still have limited capability to enter into contracts.
Well, but that is absolutly what I mean !
The M&L program was/is open for persons all ages !
But a 3 year old SEN used the overdraft is/was simply "Geschaeftsunfaehig"
How could M&L now try to get anything back from him ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.