Search

Booking DB Rail & Fly in conjunction with Lufthansa [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK Gold
Booking DB Rail & Fly in conjunction with Lufthansa [merged]

Hi,
I want to book a one-way LH flight LHR - STR using my BMI Miles. Is it possible to book a rail&fly ticket by calling the LH call centre just by providing my flight confirmation number? Rang LH in the UK today and they seemed utterly clueless...
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
Booking Rail & Fly offline?
Yes, you can book Rail&Fly offline. I did it few weeks ago, however, even Kassel wasn't savvy with this and issued me a wrong paper ticket.

LH flight LHR - STR using my BMI Miles
I don't know, whether it will work with that combination...???
Old Sep 14, 2007, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Well, it didn't work for me. I somehow missed the Fly & Rail in the booking process, and it wasn't possible later. But it was for a next day departure, and they said that a paper ticket needed to be issued and mailed. L'tur is quite good with Fly & Rail (Zug zum Flug) tickets for their last minute W fares.

I remember now that I got annoyed during the booking process for a Ready to Fly offer. Signing in using my Miles & More number didn't work, and I realise that it was because my given address was in Switzerland (I changed it during the Summer to be able to receive paper tickets while away). So I changed it back to the German address, and the Reday to Fly booking went through. How absurd!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: LH G, CO G, BA B, HH G, PC P, SW G, Sixt P, Hertz G and YES A|Club G :)
Can you get miles for those Rail & Fly tickets...It says on my credit card statement Y class...
Old Oct 31, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by sindjic
Can you get miles for those Rail & Fly tickets...It says on my credit card statement Y class...
No miles. Rail&Fly is a program where you can buy train tickets to get to the airport for a flat rate. Especially for longer train trips it is a good deal.

The only way to earn miles by taking the train I think is if you for example take a train from FRA-CGN which has a LH flight number.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:18 pm

Hello!

Rail & Fly may only be booked for tickets which are issued on 220 (LH) stock.
So if you have booked with bmi-Miles, I'm afraid it won't work.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK Gold
It did work actually; via a phone call to their call centre which was in Dublin back then.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:20 am

Acc. to LH it's possible to book R&F via call centre even with tickets purchased on expedia or other portals (to save the impertinent Creditcardpenaltyfee and high TSC).

BUT:

the flight need to start in Germany!!

I wonder how you can do that for LHR-STR? Please let us know!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by caspritz78
No miles. Rail&Fly is a program where you can buy train tickets to get to the airport for a flat rate. Especially for longer train trips it is a good deal.

The only way to earn miles by taking the train I think is if you for example take a train from FRA-CGN which has a LH flight number.
or ZWS-FRA-ZWS (ZWS= Stuttgart Railway station) but this is bad deal because even incl. in ticket price additional taxes and fees apply even there is not "taxes and fees" at railway... LH secret pricing
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:29 am

Programs: LH [FTL]
Originally Posted by Tenere
Acc. to LH it's possible to book R&F via call centre even with tickets purchased on expedia or other portals (to save the impertinent Creditcardpenaltyfee and high TSC).

BUT:

the flight need to start in Germany!!
You can add the R&F ticket also to a flight with DESTINATION Germany, but I guess then the first leg of your ticket should start in Germany. Two months ago my sister booked FRA-NRT-AKL-NRT-FRA, she called LH and it was no problem to add the R&F on the return only.

If LH won't do it in your case, maybe the detour with a TUIfly ticket might be an option (just use the train ticket and forget about the flight).
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: LH FTL, UA 1K MM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I got R&F also issued on Tickets with a Stopover in Germany.
It worked for stopovers on both ways...
Asia-MUC-QYG-MUC-Brazil-FRA-QYG-FRA-Asia

On non 220 Tickets it is a hit or miss...
Got it once on UA redemption ticket got denied another time...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: UA1MM ex-1K
Lufthansa Rail and Fly - booking from the US

Wanted to post my experience with purchasing a rail&fly pass from Lufthansa USA, because I think this contains useful hints for others trying to accomplish the same.

The rail and fly pass allows anyone with an international ticket on Lufthansa flying into or out of Germany to get a rail ticket between anywhere in Germany and the airport you are flying into or out of. There are very few exceptions [BRU, AMS, CDG, SZG, VIE, ZRH] for specific close-to-the-border airports that are not counted as international flights. The price is 25Eur per oneway in 2nd class(=economy, or 45Eur for 1st class), and this ticket can only be bought for and is only valid on the day of arrival in Germany and the day after arrival in Germany (in conjunction with a ticket into a German airport). Alternatively, for departure from Germany (in conjunction with a ticket segment out of a German airport) for the day of departure and the day before departure. This is generally a really good deal, completely flexible and not bound to a specific train. It can be purchased with one-way, round-trip, and open-jaws.

According to LH once you make a flight booking, there should be a special link below your purchase confirmation with a direct entry into the Deutsche Bahn (german rail) system. This link, however, I have never found when making a booking from outside Germany.

The way to still get the rail and fly ticket is to call LH reservations in the US: 800-645-3880 - but be aware that you may have to call several times. US/Canadian call center agents typically insist that a transcontinental LH ticket is required (it is not, only must be international, i.e. UK-Germany works) - so you get the best chances when calling late at night, when the line gets routed to their international call center.

Official rule that is rarely stated but important: the flight MUST be from LH ticket stock (i.e. ticket number must start with 220) and the flight should be operated by LH metal. Some agents seem to be able to relax the second requirement but only extremely rarely the first.

Once you have found an able agent the process is easy, an additional PNR between your airport [e.g. FRA] and Railway Germany [QYG] is created (with flight operator 9B=Access Rail) and a special ticket pickup number is provided over the phone. This number is like an electronic ticket (http://www.bahn.de/p/view/service/flug/railandfly.shtml) that has to be printed out at the rail way station ticketing machine, and shown in conjunction with your LH ticket when checked on the train. I was charged 36$ for a oneway to anywhere in Germany, really good deal.

According to the Bahn site, United Airlines and Continental Airlines are not partners in this program. US Airways is, but I have never read anything about it on their website. Would be great to hear if anyone has had success getting a Rail and Fly Germany ticket from US Airways.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
welcome to flyertalk, usuallyhappytravels

please continue to follow this thread in our Lufthansa forum, where it fits better than in the rail travel forum since this is LH specific.

regards,

chrissxb
european rail travel
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's kind of LH specific... except AB sells them too. And I've used one from AB.

http://www.airberlin.com/site/zug_zu...y.php?LANG=eng

Ordinarily, AB mails you the ticket, but since I was going to be out of the country, I was able to pick it up on my arrival in FRA (it was a print ticket with carbon copies, etc.)- the DB conductor took a carbon copy from the ticket I provided him and I went on my way

Also, strictly speaking, AB should NOT have sold me the ticket- I was flying FRA-TXL on AB, and using the train to go to Leipzig, so this was not an international ticket (though I was on stopover in FRA an RTW on a separate ticket- ironically, a US DM award). They did so anyway. It was a very painless process with them.

If I can ever figure out how to make US issue one of these in conjunction with a future US DM award, I'll let the board know. Given that US phone agents struggle with things such as basic geography and their own program rules on awards, I am not too optimistic on this point, but I might give it a try next time I do this- I like flying to Germany, and Rail-and-Fly is an outstanding value, for the reasons mentioned.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 28, 2011 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I booked an LH ticket to Germany on Expedia's UK site and LH tells me I need to call Expedia to add Rail & Fly. I expect that if I call Expedia UK they will tell me that they have never heard of LH Rail & Fly. From what I can see on the LH site it only has to be booked in conjunction with an LH flight, not necessarily a flight originating in Germany. Has anyne had recent experience with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.