Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking DB Rail & Fly in conjunction with Lufthansa [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes, that is allowed. See the rules a bit more upthread.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
Any recent Rail&Fly experiences?

I just bought a Rail&Fly ticket from LH this morning. At $37 for a flexible one-way to just about anywhere in Germany, it looks like a really good deal.

Is there any disadvantage to printing the ticket before leaving home? Anything else I may want to be aware of?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:05 am

Reviving this old thread with a recent experience:

I will be flying from FRA to North America via WAW. Ticket on LO stock. FRA-WAW LO flight number, operated by LH.

Wanted a LH Rail&Fly getting to FRA - and it worked - contrary to my expectation...

First call I just wanted to inquire if it is possible - agent said yes.
Second call I actually wanted to book it - agent said it is not possible - ticket needs to be on LH stock.
Third call - immediately after the second - agent booked it without a problem.

Have save travels

Primenumber
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:23 am

Rail & Fly questions

Situation: I am about to book a LH oneway award ticket DEN-FRA-HAM where i would need a train journey at the end in HAM.

My 2 questions:
1) Does LH still sell Rail&Fly add-ons on award tickets?
2) Can I use a Rail&Fly ticket from HAM given that the rules say "in conjunction with international LH flight" (which my DEN-FRA qualifies for, but FRA-HAM is obviously the connecting domestic segment).

Any guidance and experience appreciated.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Situation: I am about to book a LH oneway award ticket DEN-FRA-HAM where i would need a train journey at the end in HAM.

My 2 questions:
1) Does LH still sell Rail&Fly add-ons on award tickets?
2) Can I use a Rail&Fly ticket from HAM given that the rules say "in conjunction with international LH flight" (which my DEN-FRA qualifies for, but FRA-HAM is obviously the connecting domestic segment).

Any guidance and experience appreciated.
Any experience, anybody?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

See above, award tickets are OK. The R&F is good for that day, so you can use it once you arrive in HAM.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
Rail&Fly usage question

Hi all,

I decided to use Rail&Fly service (Fra-any German train station and vice versa) for the first time. What I read is I can checkin 72 hours in advance using http://rail-checkin.com/

Trying to do so using both PNR and e-tix results in Reservation not found.

I also tried to add without luck my ticket to the DB Navigator app.

Assuming I have a printed copy of the Rail&Fly ticket + passport do you know whether I can simply reserve a seat via DB Navigator and take the train or do I need to take any further actions?

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:27 am

Location: CGN (Cologne, Germany), travel agent, hardcore Sabre user
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, LH, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, AX Centurion
Not good, you do need to contact whoever issued your ticket. A printout of the airline e-ticket for Rail & Fly is not valid for travel, a "real" DB ticket has to be created using the link you mentioned. Only after you have succeeded doing so, that ticket can be loaded into the DB Navigator app.
Xyzzy and koriobg like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:15 am

Hi jreichel,

Thank you for your response.

The issuer is Lufthansa (I added the ticket as part of the booking process).
Actually by ticket I was referring to a DB ticket generated by clicking a link in the confirmation which pointed me to fahrkarten.bahn.de and looks like an official one.
What puzzles me was that it appears I have a valid train ticket (with QR, reservation number matching the one on the flight confirmation and other DB specific info) and yet I am unable to checkin (rail-checking.com) or add (DB Navigator) less than 24 hours of the first flight.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:30 am

Location: CGN (Cologne, Germany), travel agent, hardcore Sabre user
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, LH, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, AX Centurion
Hm, that sounds like an offline version of Rail & Fly. German tour operators sometimes use those. In that case, the printout would be valid, indeed, and you don't have to (and can't) additionally use the website. I'd reluctantly say you're safe. Feel free to send me a PM with your ticket if you want me to have a look at it (I'm a travel agent).
koriobg likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:26 am

Thank you again PM sent.

Update: Thank you jreichel for checking the ticket for me. It appears to be an offline one despite having Online in the title. I am not sure whether having my flight upgraded with evouchers played some role but I reserved a seat only via DB Navigator and was just checked by the DB person on the train without issues.

Last edited by koriobg; Sep 24, 2022 at 7:03 am
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:01 am

Last time I used Rail&Fly, a few weeks ago, I have been told to check-in using
https://rail-checkin.com/
Had to put first/last names and the Lufthansa code, and then was able to get my boarding pass.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 8:17 am

Is rail and fly available on any ICE route or only to German stations? Could I take a train from Brussel-North to Frankfurt am Main Airport for my flight? I Can't seem to find a list of the 5,600 stations mentioned everywhere.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 8:54 am

I think the rules say only about Germany stations, and so no train to/from Brussels
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Justin Volzer
Is rail and fly available on any ICE route or only to German stations? Could I take a train from Brussel-North to Frankfurt am Main Airport for my flight? I Can't seem to find a list of the 5,600 stations mentioned everywhere.
Rail & Fly is for any station in Germany. S, you could buy a train ticket from Brussels to the first station stop in Germany and use a Rail & Fly ticket for the rest of the journey to FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.