Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

HON "enhancements" getting closer [HON bonus reduced from 50% to 25%] [merged]

HON "enhancements" getting closer [HON bonus reduced from 50% to 25%] [merged]

Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:43 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by flysurfer
The guy got shot!
He also didn't eat - I clearly mentioned that there were a few tiny deviations. Still many folks worship him, so be happy and keep fighting !
Old Sep 11, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: LH MM
Would not be very sensible psychologically. It means that you specifically declass the ones flying 600-749k miles. My bias would be that you lose pretty much all of them. Who could come up with an idea like that? Would make much more sense to decrease the mileage earning. Give out more miles for C rather Z (or same for C less for Z for the sake of the excersize) would be my first approach. Would mean that I shift significant business away from LH and be happy with the SEN, but would at least save you the ones collecting 600k status miles on full flex C.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Lennart
Would not be very sensible psychologically. It means that you specifically declass the ones flying 600-749k miles. My bias would be that you lose pretty much all of them. Who could come up with an idea like that? Would make much more sense to decrease the mileage earning. Give out more miles for C rather Z (or same for C less for Z for the sake of the excersize) would be my first approach. Would mean that I shift significant business away from LH and be happy with the SEN, but would at least save you the ones collecting 600k status miles on full flex C.
There we go for a reasonable suggestion.

Having said that, anyone has an idea how much of Business class travel is on Z fares vs. C or D?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
This would bring to the discussion differential prices from differential origins...
Ex ATH or CAI or whatever C/D may be much less expensive than Z from Germany. Thus, I think earning by class flown is generally ok and fair.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
This would bring to the discussion differential prices from differential origins...
Ex ATH or CAI or whatever C/D may be much less expensive than Z from Germany. Thus, I think earning by class flown is generally ok and fair.
I was argueing more from an approach that would avoid pi**ing off all the ones currently flying just above 600k miles and that currently have HON but wouldn't in the future. If I put myself in the shoes of somebody like that, I would feel really set back (meaning the airline does not consider me to be amongst their most valued customers anymore). From that point of view I would rather recommend leaving the threshold and lowering the earning. In what way ever. Lowering the earning for Z is just what comes to mind first. You pay less, get same service, you should get less miles. Same as in economy. There you don't earn according to class either, but based on what you pay.

The price discrimination between countries in my opinion is a different story. I consider it to be fair and just but would consider it off topic here. Plus nothing prevents LH to change those fares into f.e. Z fares if they feel too many HONs are being generated by that.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Lowering mileage earning levels (again!) would piss off EVERYBODY: HONs, SENs, FTLs and GMs.

We already have mileage inflation with the ever increasing taxes (and an expected rise in award levels with the next round of enhancemenats).

At the same time, it becomes increasingly cheaper to earn miles by NOT flying. That gap can't widen too much.

Hence, LH can't simply reduce mileage earning levels. It would rather require a complete restructuring of the program with a different amount of status and award miles earned for a flight, similar to U.S programs that award less status miles but are generous with extra bonus miles for their elites.

But hey, maybe that's what LH is planning: Converting M&M into Mileage Plus, just without upgrades and vouchers.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:21 pm

Lowering mileage earning levels (again!) would piss off EVERYBODY: HONs, SENs, FTLs and GMs.

We already have mileage inflation with the ever increasing taxes (and an expected rise in award levels with the next round of enhancemenats).

At the same time, it becomes increasingly cheaper to earn miles by NOT flying. That gap can't widen too much.
Absolutely correct. 4000 MMs plus 500 HHonors points for approx. 50 EURs per day is impossible to make flying... But you have to be HON for that.

Hence, LH can't simply reduce mileage earning levels. It would rather require a complete restructuring of the program with a different amount of status and award miles earned for a flight, similar to U.S programs that award less status miles but are generous with extra bonus miles for their elites.

But hey, maybe that's what LH is planning: Converting M&M into Mileage Plus, just without upgrades and vouchers.
I fear SQ PPS is the better role model. I think a lot of airlines are watching the SQ experiment very closely right now and will take action as soon as they judge it successful. I am convinced the outcome of that study will strongly influence any future decisions of LH regarding the HON program.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by ulev
I fear SQ PPS is the better role model. I think a lot of airlines are watching the SQ experiment very closely right now and will take action as soon as they judge it successful. I am convinced the outcome of that study will strongly influence any future decisions of LH regarding the HON program.
Good point. ^ If SQ succeeds with the model, LH will most liekly introduce a similar one.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:03 pm

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Just participated a survey today in the FCT. During the questions it looked like they really anticipate us HONs telling, that there are too many people in the FCT. Well, I didn't play that game and told, that I always got a seat so far and have nothing to complain about the FCT size and people in there.

Made some recommendations for program improvements, but didn't tell any snobbish thing like, want exclusive limo transfer to the plane.
Hey, later I got transferred with 3 other F pax in the Van for a A330 boarding in Neu-Isenburg/Offenbach. Totally fine with me and saves some amount of carbon dioxide emmision on that long tour.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 5:36 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by Lennart
[...] From that point of view I would rather recommend leaving the threshold and lowering the earning. In what way ever. Lowering the earning for Z is just what comes to mind first. You pay less, get same service, you should get less miles. Same as in economy. There you don't earn according to class either, but based on what you pay. [...]
Eventually, it all boils down to an increase of the R˛ between the €/$ spent and the awards earned. In comparison with traditional rebate programmes, FFPs generated much better value for the participant if handled smartly. Nowadays, with flying being a common part of daily life of many adjustments have to come.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:15 am

absolument d'accord. was just talking the thing that qualifies you for status. however you define it. i would vote for renaming them to gummybearpoints. alternatively redeemable in actual gummybears to prevent further deflation.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
aha, status points linked to a real good...

the gummybearstandard to keep the value stable...Thomas Gottschalk (probably HON) would be delighted.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
aha, status points linked to a real good...

the gummybearstandard to keep the value stable...Thomas Gottschalk (probably HON) would be delighted.
AFAIK he is a regular BA F pax.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by totti
AFAIK he is a regular BA F pax.
Just saw him and his wife about 3 weeks ago in the FCT probably not boarding BA.

And he was "familiar" with the rose champagne he had on a visit before.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by DUSFRA
Just saw him and his wife about 3 weeks ago in the FCT probably not boarding BA.
His wife was even in the FCT when I was there once. I guess since LH has introduced HON, TG switched back to LH. Why would he transfer in LHR?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.