OS                       EW-OS                       KM ---- ---- ---- 0130
 OS                       EW-OS                       PS ---- ---- ---- 0100
Print Wikipost

Connecting in Vienna [VIE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by downinit
That makes my decision easier. I might still pop in if it is on my way, but I will not go out of my way for it. If my flight gets in early, I may sacrifice some space in my passport to explore the rest of the airport. If the NS section of VIE is anything like ZRH, I would definitely prefer to minimize my time there.
Non-schengen VIE is 2 levels above the Schengen zone, there's really no material difference between the two. I was at OS G gate lounge yesterday and it was fine, business lounge was open until my 11pm flight, around 50-60% full in the late hours.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by downinit
That makes my decision easier. I might still pop in if it is on my way, but I will not go out of my way for it. If my flight gets in early, I may sacrifice some space in my passport to explore the rest of the airport. If the NS section of VIE is anything like ZRH, I would definitely prefer to minimize my time there.
D lounge is way out of your way. It's in a completely different terminal and other than taking a long walk through landside twice, it's only accessible by bus. Just forget about it.

Also not sure what you mean by ZRH. the E pier is one of the best terminals to spend time in, especially with lounge access. D is OK.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:55 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Transit time YUL to Vie -DBV

Very short connection time in Vie to connect to DBV.
Wondering about the customs procedure etc , or if OS has anytype of Concierge service that I can reach out to that can perhaps expedite the process if line ups. We are 8 people in business Cabin. Thx for any input
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:06 pm

YUL/VIE/DBV transit process is quite easy, walk to the next gate.

In case of delays, OS is very good with waiting for connections if at all feasible. Direct connection is also possible.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by RZR
Very short connection time in Vie to connect to DBV.
Wondering about the customs procedure etc , or if OS has anytype of Concierge service that I can reach out to that can perhaps expedite the process if line ups. We are 8 people in business Cabin. Thx for any input
It’s an easy connection, non Schengen to non Schengen & for 8 pax in J for sure they will go the extra mile, what is your short connection ?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:43 pm

Although VIE is an extremely easy, small and efficient airport to transfer don't be too sure of making your tight connection, especially when originating in the disastrous places that are YUL and YYZ these days. Are you flying on one of the days that has a 40 minute connection in VIE? If so, there's definitely reason for worry if that's one of the days that doesn't have the later afternoon flight as well. OS74 seems to be late a lot of the time recently. You'll have lack of passport control and 8 of you in J on the same flights on your side though.

A little over a week ago I was on a flight YYZ-VIE-PRG in J and of course the YYZ-VIE leg was delayed by over an hour, slimming the connection time down to minutes. There was at least one other pax in J on the delayed inbound going to PRG (I heard her telling the FA on the later flight to PRG), and although passport control and transfer security is a breeze - so an uber short connection is definitely physically doable in VIE, and I was actually at the PRG gate before it closed (the flight to PRG itself was slightly delayed) OS would not let me on the flight as I'd already been rebooked to the later one 5 hours later.

Normally at this point I would have walked out of the airport and hopped the train to where I needed to go, but I stuck around because I had checked baggage which was really what was preventing flexible travel plans. My baggage took 5.5 additional days to get to me.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:03 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Thx for the feedback. Yes, on one of those 40 minute transit time flights.
Lets hope it goes well...
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
did two transits myself upon delayed flights with very tight connections during last 2 months; my impressions:
- there is currently no ground staff to accompany you (even in Biz and with status) or guide you to the shortest way
- coming from Schengen or Americas, you do not have to pass security, but from other destinations you have to pass and have to go all the way back to normal security like all other passengers departing in VIE (there is no transit security in F/G terminal); there is a fast lane however, but that is on the other side than from where you get back to security
- long hauls might wait a couple of minutes for late arriving feeders, but not short haul flights; you are rebooked to the next flight
- I was lucky: I got my luggage twice after 30 minutes transit connections, but I know several other passengers, whose luggage did not make it
- walking distances within the main building with F (Schengen) and G (Non-Schengen) gates are managable even for tight connections. 4 minutes (without running) from one end of the building to the other and less than one minute to change levels
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
- coming from Schengen or Americas, you do not have to pass security, but from other destinations you have to pass and have to go all the way back to normal security like all other passengers departing in VIE (there is no transit security in F/G terminal); there is a fast lane however, but that is on the other side than from where you get back to security
That's incorrect, not only it implies that even non-Schengen EU would be forced to security, that happens sometimes, but mainly that every single arriving passenger would have to enter Schengen to go through transfer security. That is simply not the case. Transfer security exists.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
Just flew YUL-VIE this week. I would say the main reason this flight is consistently delayed is that it doesn't board by jet bridge. We had a 30 min delay in boarding as we had to wait for PTV to shuttle us to the plane. Once boarded, then we waited 30 min for two missing cargo/luggage containers. Then, we had to wait for the ramp to push us back. I'm not sure why they couldn't just turn on the engines and go.

Touching down an hour late at 9:40, we ran from D to G (no transit security required) and got to the gate at 9:53 for a 9:55 departure. The boarding door was already closed. We were in Biz and first off the plane. They rebooked us for a flight that night, so we headed into the city of Vienna instead of waiting around.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
That's incorrect, not only it implies that even non-Schengen EU would be forced to security, that happens sometimes, but mainly that every single arriving passenger would have to enter Schengen to go through transfer security. That is simply not the case. Transfer security exists.
you did not read my post properly! every time I arrived from Non Schengen, I had to walk through mid level all the way back (and through passport control) to the general security area for all passengers. I have never seen a separate transfer security area in this building
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Arriving from non-Schengen and connecting onto Schengen does require you to go through central security at VIE, so BinSabai is correct.
roberto99 and BinSabai like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by gojko88
Arriving from non-Schengen and connecting onto Schengen does require you to go through central security at VIE, so BinSabai is correct.
agreed, there is only 1 passport control where clean and unclean pax mix then everyone has to reclear security. Waw is the same. unlike fra where unclean arrivals are fed through security before meeting clean arrivals at passport control
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
you did not read my post properly! every time I arrived from Non Schengen, I had to walk through mid level all the way back (and through passport control) to the general security area for all passengers. I have never seen a separate transfer security area in this building
Originally Posted by gojko88

For NS>S, that's possible, but the query I was replying to concerns connecting NS>NS, it is impossible to require pax to enter Schengen.

If you get to the transit channel, the way to Schengen would be, pass passport control, walk to beginning of pier, go down to main Schengen security, enter the duty free.
But you can also not take the passport control, walk up to NS departures level and take transit security.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
For NS>S, that's possible, but the query I was replying to concerns connecting NS>NS, it is impossible to require pax to enter Schengen.

If you get to the transit channel, the way to Schengen would be, pass passport control, walk to beginning of pier, go down to main Schengen security, enter the duty free.
But you can also not take the passport control, walk up to NS departures level and take transit security.
so you mean the highest level with the G gates has an own transit security for Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen passengers? possible, have never flown this....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.