Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions for official LH lurker, LHrelate

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: LH, US Silv, CO Plat
Dear Michelle,

First off, thank you for the wonderful service that you provide for FT. It is always appreciated that you give quick replies.

The reason that I am writing is that I am about to board my flight to my wedding in Croatia. I was trying to purchase an upgrade for my future wife and I for our trip, but I was told that I couldn't upgrade because I had already checked in online. Also, when I was in the bag drop off point I was told I had to go to the normal check in line. Frustrated and in a hurry I complied. I thought I would let you know I ha this problem, and to inquire whether it was correct that I can't upgrade upon checking in online.

Cheers,
James
IAD - ZAG
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:28 am
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines

Programs: Official LH Real Person
Hi James,

Once you are checked in online, upgrading against cash or miles could be an issue depending how much time is left until check-in closes. In order to process an upgrade, the flight coupon must be manually un-checked (and if any bags already checked, they must be pulled back and re-tagged). Therefore I can only imagine that there wasn't sufficient time to do this (as LH would certainly not otherwise refuse cash

I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you this time and would recommend that in future you allow for more time if possible. Otherwise you could always request op-up which doesn't require re-checking.

Best
Michelle

PS: Congratulations on your wedding
Old Jun 14, 2010, 3:14 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question Printed United upgrade for standby use on Lufthansa

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your wonderful service here as always.

I have a question regarding the use of United Airlines Systemwide upgrades printed for use on Lufthansa. It looks like this:

http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/140/...5BHrLbYxgV.jpg

In the past, I was able to use some from my boss (with a different name, obviously), but I was told today at ORD that it is not possible unless the person whose name is on the certificate is present at the time it is being used to authorize its use. I was told it was a "protective" measure. Obviously, since the upgrades are done on a standby basis, this would mean that the person whose name is on the certificate would have to be flying with you if you wanted to use it to upgrade multiple segments i.e. ORD-FRA and then FRA-PEK.

I have used my co-workers' upgrade certificates before without a problem in FRA and TLV, and family members have used mine in ORD, FRA and PEK. Was the ORD supervisor correct to deny the usage? (The certificates are transferable, so that isn't an issue). Is this a new rule, newly enforced, or was the ORD supervisor incorrect? (Perhaps someone can look up the rules in the profile mentioned on the certificate: GGAIRLHMAMUA).

(The protective measure to prevent fraud with the certificates, by the way, is that they are mailed to the Mileage Plus accountholder’s address on record). I spoke to Mileage Plus today and they have the same understanding that I do-- once they send me the upgrades by mail, I can give them out to whomever I want and they can use them. I know you are busy, but please let me know as soon as you can, because I have travel planned for family and was going to rely on these for their business-to-first upgrades. Now I don't know what to do.

Thank you very much in advance and warm regards,
Ari

Last edited by Ari; Jun 15, 2010 at 12:51 am Reason: Spoke to Mileage Plus-- they agree with me . . .
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:59 pm

Hi Ari,

M&M also agrees that your boss would not need to be present for you to use the SWU.

I'll share your comments with my colleagues in ORD in case they are not aware.

Best,
Michelle
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:59 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHrelate
Hi Ari,

M&M also agrees that your boss would not need to be present for you to use the SWU.

I'll share your comments with my colleagues in ORD in case they are not aware.

Best,
Michelle
Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:01 am

Hi Michelle

I travel frequently with LH and with few exceptions with carry on only.
On a resent trip I had to check luggage with a so so experience .

At check-in in US I was informed that I could not check my luggage to final destination in Europe as I had more than 24 hour layover in FRA( for a business meeting prior to vacationing ) .
Arriving late in FRA in the morning I picked up my luggage and went to check in , now within 24 hours of departure , only to be advised that I could get my BP but not check my luggage until 1800 in the afternoon.
So I had to schlep golf clubs and other vacation gear to the hotel and back again the next morning to the FCT. ( I did survive this )

I understand that there are rules and regulations around this issue but would suggest that it would be a much appreciated and " cheap " enhancement to at least the HON program with extended time frame for checking through luggage.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:37 am

Hi seat 1a,

Your suggestion is not a new one as I'm sure you can imagine

Unfortunately it is all about security and is the same for all passengers regardless of cabin or status.

One thing I can say is that this will not likely change anytime soon.

Sorry for no better news,
Michelle
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by LHrelate
Hi seat 1a,

Your suggestion is not a new one as I'm sure you can imagine

Unfortunately it is all about security and is the same for all passengers regardless of cabin or status.

One thing I can say is that this will not likely change anytime soon.

Sorry for no better news,
Michelle
Hi Michelle

Thanks , and understood .
What I do not understand however, is that if my connection is within 24 hrs I can check to final destination , but I can not recheck in FRA if my flt is within 24 hours , but I can get my BP.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:07 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by seat 1a
What I do not understand however, is that if my connection is within 24 hrs I can check to final destination , but I can not recheck in FRA if my flt is within 24 hours , but I can get my BP.
I don't think it's a security issue -- why would it be safe to accept baggage 12 hours before the flight (i.e. 6 pm the night before) but not 23 hours? Seems to be a logistic problem, disguised as a safety issue.

HTB.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 1:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
As you might have read, Michelle, who dilligently answered your questions as LHrelate is leaving LH for personal reasons. We are working with LH to ensure the tradition of officially lurking and engaging with members on FT continues. Until then, I will close this thread.

Regards Oliver2002

Comments are welcome in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-lhrelate.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.