Plans for new Lufthansa longhaul flights from smaller airports

Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:29 am
hch

Originally Posted by totti
Yep, that's an interesting question. In addition to this I am still waiting for some new destinations for the yet to be finished SXF. I'd love to stop in Berlin more often again
I wouldn't expect LH Longhaul flights from Berlin. For sure not unless the economic situation in Berlin changes a lot. And after closure of the old North Runway I think SXF isn't in Berlin anymore at all ;-)

Last edited by hch; Jun 24, 2008 at 5:34 am
Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:33 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by hch
I wouldn't expect LH Longhaul flights from Berlin. Fore sure not unless the economic situation in Berlin changes a lot. And after closure of the old North Runway I think SXF isn't in Berlin anymore at all ;-)
True. At some point they will get the usual goodies like a flight to New York or something...
Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:57 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Wow. Very exciting. There are three cities she gets to see. Pretty Newark, NJ, if she's lucky, she makes it to Manhattan, Chicago and Toronto. If she has made use of her goody to buy cheap tickets on LH, she might have been in all of the three cities a couple of times already.

Did she say she was DUS based or was she from DUS? There is plenty of FRA based crew that origins from all over Europe and just commutes to work by plane but they are considered FRA based crews!
She said she was DUS-based and had previously been working mostly intra-German and European flights from DUS on the 737.

I think the reason why she was happy to be flying long-haul again is that it is less actual work for the same number of block hours than with lots of short-haul flights.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:08 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by flysurfer
That's because we have a good cop, bad cop situation here.
I like to be the bad cop!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
You wish!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:13 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by hch
I wouldn't expect LH Longhaul flights from Berlin. For sure not unless the economic situation in Berlin changes a lot. And after closure of the old North Runway I think SXF isn't in Berlin anymore at all ;-)
I guess and hope that this will change! It is really strange that you can't fly from capital to capital even within Europe (e.g. no TXL to FCO, MAD etc. ) not to talk about the lack of long haul destinations. As Berlin is not my place of residence at the moment I don't care too much but anyway
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:51 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
It is really strange that you can't fly from capital to capital
Berlin was a "locked" capital for a long period and the former capital was a village. Not a surprise, that major business went to cities like FRA, MUC, DUS and HAM.

As a german tax payer am against more "transfers" to our "beloved" capital, since we already payed more than enough for all these moves.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Zuckerbrot und Peitsche !
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:18 am
hch

I guess and hope that this will change! It is really strange that you can't fly from capital to capital even within Europe (e.g. no TXL to FCO, MAD etc. ) not to talk about the lack of long haul destinations. As Berlin is not my place of residence at the moment I don't care too much but anyway…
A capital is a rather artificial concept. Just because the lazy politicians decided to have their camp in a certain city that doesn't mean it actually has any economic power.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:33 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by hch
A capital is a rather artificial concept. Just because the lazy politicians decided to have their camp in a certain city that doesn't mean it actually has any economic power.
Agreed. And with the federal system in Germany being what it is, there are many government departments and offices which are not even in Berlin, which leads to even less demand there.

There problem is that there is almost nothing productive in Berlin, which means that there is relatively little demand for premium travel into or out of the city.

As for totti's comment - there is one very important capital-to-capital service from Berlin: to Brussels.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
Alternatively use DL for TXL-JFK. Loads are rumoured to be so light that you might get working row blocking.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
True. At some point they will get the usual goodies like a flight to New York or something...
Why should LH give any goodies??? Makes no sense whatsoever. It is either economically viable these flight or LH will not offer them.

Cheers, S
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
Why should LH give any goodies??? Makes no sense whatsoever. It is either economically viable these flight or LH will not offer them.

Cheers, S
That's not what I meant. Of course LH will not just give them a flight just because it's fun. Once BBI is ready, there will be more demand for international travel, maybe enough for a flight to New York (remember there are two NYC flights already DL and CO) I doubt these are all American travelers and that LH would be able to compete once there is just one airport and hopefully a stronger economy.

I don't see Berlin becoming a big HUB but Berlin is a big city (lots of potential customers) and in all fairness attracts a lot of tourists!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Triple3
Alternatively use DL for TXL-JFK. Loads are rumoured to be so light that you might get working row blocking.
I am surprised this route hasn't been culled in the wave of recent announcements by CO / UA / US / DL / AA ... etc...
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Triple3
Hmm, I have been on that flight about 4-5 times in J and is was almost always full. Only had one flight where 1B remained empty and I could indeed work very productive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.