Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are all LH flights so warm?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 8:58 am

I prefer cooler cabin. Sometimes the FA will lower the cabin temperature then turn it back up. consistency is appreciated but individual zone controls
should be considered in the future.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Sometimes it is even enough to mention that it’s too hot and shortly afterwards the FA comes back and says they lowered it. If not, the „mentioning“ earlier is a good foundation for a request later on like „don’t you think it’s still pretty hot in here ...“
Old May 10, 2019, 11:34 am
Uli

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Sometimes it is even enough to mention that it’s too hot and shortly afterwards the FA comes back and says they lowered it. If not, the „mentioning“ earlier is a good foundation for a request later on like „don’t you think it’s still pretty hot in here ...“
As said before, I carry a mini thermometer, cost about 1 euro. they are super surprised when you show them that the temp has not changed at all during the last hour
GalaxyChris and reggiekush like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Uli
As said before, I carry a mini thermometer, cost about 1 euro. they are super surprised when you show them that the temp has not changed at all during the last hour
Wow, you are really uber-prepared.

Temperature makes all the difference. Last night, some people actually complained about the cabin being too cold, but the temperature was ideal for me. For the first time in a long while, I got some good sleep on a plane.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Uli
Great idea !

Need to get one
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:11 pm

We carry portable (5-6 inch) USB fans. I can deal with a warmer cabin but I need moving air!
Our LH FRA-IAH last summer (Biz upper level) was surprisingly comfortable. I had feared the hot cabins I’ve read much about. We have an A330 AUS to FRA and back coming up in a few weeks. Hoping for the best.

Last edited by Kensterfly; Aug 1, 2019 at 3:12 pm Reason: Edit
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
We carry portable (5-6 inch) USB fans. I can deal with a warmer cabin but I need moving air!
Our LH FRA-IAH last summer (Biz upper level) was surprisingly comfortable. I had feared the hot cabins I’ve read much about. We have an A330 AUS to FRA and back coming up in a few weeks. Hoping for the best.
In my experience, LH‘s cabins are cooler than on many other (Asian) carriers. If it’s way too warm, inform the FA and see what they say.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:12 pm

When a pax asks for a change in temps, the tendency for flight attendants seems to be to make a major change. If I ask for them to cool the cabin down a bit, they may drop the temp several degrees, which suddenly makes the cabin much cooler, kicking off complaints that the cabin is too cold. Then they crank the temp up 8-10 degrees and make it sweltering. A little dab will do you. Sometimes, just a tweak of a couple of degrees will make it more comfortable without triggering complaints.
Last summer, I was prepared for a hot cabin on an A380 FRA to IAH. I wore a lightweight tropical shirt and khakis but had a pair of nice bermuda shorts in my backpage. Fortunately, I did not have to change clothes. The cabin was comfortable, if not quite a cool as I would have preferred.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
When a pax asks for a change in temps, the tendency for flight attendants seems to be to make a major change. If I ask for them to cool the cabin down a bit, they may drop the temp several degrees, which suddenly makes the cabin much cooler, kicking off complaints that the cabin is too cold. Then they crank the temp up 8-10 degrees and make it sweltering. A little dab will do you. Sometimes, just a tweak of a couple of degrees will make it more comfortable without triggering complaints.
Last summer, I was prepared for a hot cabin on an A380 FRA to IAH. I wore a lightweight tropical shirt and khakis but had a pair of nice bermuda shorts in my backpage. Fortunately, I did not have to change clothes. The cabin was comfortable, if not quite a cool as I would have preferred.
Reminds me of when I worked in an office. It would normally divide into two tribes: one of which wanted the thermostat at 18 degrees, while the other wanted it at 27.

Note: These two tribes are often referred to as 'men' and 'women'.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:31 am

When a pax asks for a change in temps, the tendency for flight attendants seems to be to make a major change...
I actually make quite an effort to explain to them that it is a slight reduction that most people would probably benefit from and have seen some good results.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Perhaps instead of this error-prone ad-hoc approach to setting temps, everyone could indicate what they regard as an ideal temp on the LH app.

Responses could be weighted so that people with higher fare classes or status have a higher weighting. You then sum all the responses (e.g. x0.w0 + x1.w1 + ... xn.wn) and divide by #pax .

Note: x0 etc should be entered as a delta (difference) between the median/mean temp request across all the pax, so that it's negative for those wanting temps below avg and positive for those wanting temps above. Otherwise you could get a higher status pax wanting a lower temp producing a higher result than a low status pax wanting a high temp.

OK, Herr Spohr. The ball is in your court.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The battle for the Thermostat: how temperature affect productivity. https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0216362

Abstract

This paper studies differences in the effect of temperature on cognitive performance by gender in a large controlled lab experiment (N = 543). We study performance in math, verbal and cognitive reflection tasks and find that the effects of temperature vary significantly across men and women. At higher temperatures, women perform better on a math and verbal task while the reverse effect is observed for men. The increase in female performance in response to higher temperature is significantly larger and more precisely estimated than the corresponding decrease in male performance. In contrast to math and verbal tasks, temperature has no impact on a measure of cognitive reflection for either gender. Our findings suggest that gender mixed workplaces may be able to increase productivity by setting the thermostat higher than current standards.
So LH is doing us a favor and increasing productivity!!!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
So LH is doing us a favor and increasing productivity!!!
Productivity on flights with shades closed and all pax “forced” to sleep?

Productivity of sweat that is ...
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: LH HON, PC RA
I am German and yet on night flights I figured that the temperatures are way to hot on LH flights.
At home I sleep with open windows and the temperature in the sleeping room can easily fall down under 17 degrees. In summer we use a portable AC as well to cool down the room before we go to sleep. But we don't use it while we sleep. Too noisy and the constant air stream in the room is also annoying.

On the flights it is a bit of cultural issue. Europeans are not really used to ACs and prefer it a bit warmer. Hence the 22/23 degrees temperature.
At night the Europeans like it a bit cooler, but only when they sleep.
So while we sleep, those ladies who are keeping the watch or providing us some water every now and then, sit around in the galley reading magazines or chat.
When going to the bathrooms, I reckognized they always wear jackets or else over their blouses and they seem to freeze. So they increase the room temperature.
And this is why we all feel too warm and don't sleep well.

On top of it comes the massive meals and alcohol consumption on board. While we want to sleep our digestion is in full working mood. Creating a lot of energy. Another reason why we feel hot.

I don't eat anymore on board if I want to go to sleep real soon. Alcohol is also no option for me. It is an urban legend that a beer or glass of wine let's you sleep better.

By the way, at home you also don't have a big meal 10 minutes before you go to sleep. Think about it.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by travelben
So while we sleep, those ladies who are keeping the watch or providing us some water every now and then, sit around in the galley reading magazines or chat.
When going to the bathrooms, I reckognized they always wear jackets or else over their blouses and they seem to freeze. So they increase the room temperature.
And this is why we all feel too warm and don't sleep well.
Note that near the doors the insulation is ineffecient and it gets rather cold. The floor of the galley has floor heating to counter that but its not very effecient. The temp setting for the cabin is controlled by thermostats that are located in the section itself. Sadly only the newer aircraft types have a better sectioning. The B744 and B748 for example have a terrible temperature control system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.