Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Twenty Four hour transit in Frankfurt - what to do, where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2004, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Twenty Four hour transit in Frankfurt - what to do, where to stay?

If I have to stay for 24 hrs in Frankfurt, to get a connection -

a) should I stay at an airport hotel, or a hotel downtown? what do you think of the airport hotel(s)? how far is the downtown, from the airport? IF one is going to downtown from the airport, besides taxi - what are the other transportation options? If I am arriving on a LH flight, but leaving on another Star Alliance airline flight, are there hotels that I can book through LH, for some sort of discount?

b) how can one take a few hour tour of Frankfurt? can one take a 2 or 3 hour bus tour from an airport hotel, or from a city hotel? are there buees that give audio commentary in a number of languages, and allow you to go on and off the buses, at your pleasure?

Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:01 pm

There is a train station directly under FRA that has frequent service to the downtown train station (Hauptbonhof?)... It costs just a few euros and takes about 20 minutes.

I beleive there is a booth near the main entrance of the train station that rents headsets loaded with audio tours for those who wish to walk along a preassigned route.

Unless you have an affinity to a certain hotel chain, you can stay near the train station in a small clean room for about 50 euros including breakfast. Check with the hotel booking desk at FRA for good deals. I stayed at the Hotel Victoria twice last year for 50 euros and it was very comfortable. The area around the station is a bit unsavory at times, though (the RLD is nearby).
Old Jan 19, 2004, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 2MM
FlyerGoldII - I'm going to be in FRA Jan.25 for 24 hours on a mileage run. I plan to take the train from the airport to the main railway station (Hauptbahnhof) as YYZC2 recommends. There is a tourist information office at the Hauptbahnhof. There are a number of hotels in this area. Some for 50 euros or so currently. I chose the Hotel Monopol (4*) for 64 euros (single). I plan to visit the art gallery (Stadelsches Kunstinstitut und Stadtische Galerie), but this would depend on your interests. I can give you more information on my return if you wish.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 6:39 am

Downtown can easily be reached in about 15 minutes. Trains run about every 10-15 minutes.

There are several Sheratons (and other chains) in Frankfurt but they will cost a bit more than the hotels in the Hauptbahnhof-area.

Check out www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/default.htm for some information about tours.

Until March there is a very nice exhibition at the Film Museum (Oscars in Animation) and the Städl is always worth a visit.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me via email.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:45 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Another nice option (about 25 min by train) is the Hyatt in Mainz.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:40 am

I would also recommend Mainz. There are 2 Hiltons and a Hyatt (I prefer the Hilton...). Trains are going from FRA to Mainz every 30 min (a 30 min ride) and it costs about 5.00 EUR. Mainz has a nice cathedral, Gutemberg museum, beautifull Old Town (with wine restaurants, a brewery with good beer and great local food). Mainz is at the Rhine river: If you have a little more time, take a boat trip to Ruedesheim with koeln-duesseldorfer (http://www.k-d.com/engl/index.html), enjoy some wine and go back by train (also about 30 min).
Old Jan 20, 2004, 2:44 pm

Actually, there are two railway-stations at Frankfurt´s Airport. One is called "Fernbahnhof", which is for long haul services and the other is called "Regionalbahnhof", where the commuter trains to the City of Frankfurt leave.

I would definitely stay in the city-centre.
If you are looking for an inexpensive hotel room, try "www.hrs.de".
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Thank you, for the information.

I also want to know:

i) what type of hotels are near or at the airport?

ii) if one stays at an hotel away from the airport, and if one has a lot of luggage/baggage, is there an area in the airport, that one can leave one's luggage/baggage?
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:48 am

Programs: SAS
You should put a visit to the large department store Kaufhof on your "must see" list for Frankfurt.Not so much for shopping as for the fact that they have an outside terrace at the top floor (along with a selfservice restaurant), with a great view of central Frankfurt and the skyline.And in the distance you can see the flights coming into FRA airport.
Its on the pedestrian street Zeil and Hauptwache.

Kristian
Old Jan 22, 2004, 3:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerGoldII:

I also want to know:

ii) if one stays at an hotel away from the airport, and if one has a lot of luggage/baggage, is there an area in the airport, that one can leave one's luggage/baggage?
</font>
i) There is a Sheraton opposite of the main building - very nice but rather expensive. Another airport hotel is the Steigenberger - also quite nice but not that expensive. All the cheaper 'airport' hotels are not directly at the airport (but there is a free shuttle). I wouldn´t stay there because the airport is only 15 min away from downtown Frankfurt and you get hotels for the same price there.

ii) You can leave your luggage at the airport. The luggage storage is in the departure hall (terminal 1) at the beginning of hall 'C'.

Old Jan 22, 2004, 3:50 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerGoldII:

I also want to know:

</font>

i) The Sheraton is directly connected to the airport. All other hotels around the airport operate a shuttle (all the hotels I visited until now operated a free shuttle. You have to call the most shuttles. There's a free telephone at the shuttle bus stop. Choices are in all price ranges (which also be found on www.hrs.de ). Steigenberger Airport is a short drive. All other airport hotels need 15min shuttle transfer or more (e.g. NH Hotels, Steigenberger Esprixx, Ibis, ... IMO these hotels are quite ok. If you are interested in a view to the runway: Steigenberger Esprixx is the only one)

ii) There's a luggage storage. It's not operated 24h but adjusted to arriving/departing flights.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M
Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:04 pm

I would stay downtown and the prior posts about www.hrs.de are correct you can find good hotels and THERE IS SOMETHING TO DO DOWNTOWN. Unless you like sitting in hotel lobbies there is nothing to do at the airport hotels. You have to take the train downtown anyyway so stay downtown.The trains run often

If you must stay at an airport hotel the Steigenberger Exprix on the other side of the runway from the terminal and at the entrance to Rhein-Main US Air Base usually has some "specials" This use to be a USAF Officers Club and hotel. There are hotels in Raunheim about 10 minutes from terminal that have shuttle service and at least Raunheim has some shops and Restaurants you can walk to whereas some of the other Hotels are nowhere near anything.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 5:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by billhar:
I would stay downtown and the prior posts about www.hrs.de are correct you can find good hotels and THERE IS SOMETHING TO DO DOWNTOWN. Unless you like sitting in hotel lobbies there is nothing to do at the airport hotels. You have to take the train downtown anyyway so stay downtown.The trains run often

If you must stay at an airport hotel the Steigenberger Exprix on the other side of the runway from the terminal and at the entrance to Rhein-Main US Air Base usually has some "specials" This use to be a USAF Officers Club and hotel. There are hotels in Raunheim about 10 minutes from terminal that have shuttle service and at least Raunheim has some shops and Restaurants you can walk to whereas some of the other Hotels are nowhere near anything.
</font>
Just curious. Is a visa required for transit stay and if like to go out into town. thanks
Old Feb 1, 2004, 2:54 am

If you are a us citizen no visa is requiered.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Between the Sheraton and the Steigenberger I would strongly recommend the Steigenberger for its nice/very nice rooms and excellent service.
The Sheraton Airport IMHO is less-desirable: a typical airport transient place, ok. rooms & service, value-wise overpriced. The only thing it has going is the location (walking-distance from T1) and believe me: they know it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.