New Seat Structure of LH Planes

Old Dec 16, 03, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

New Seat Structure of LH Planes

Hello dear fellow travellers,

how are you? Hey, I just wanted to get your feedback on this.

LH has a new "BESTUHLUNG" - new seat structure - tapped for all aircraft. I find that the domestic planes carrying the new seat structure are horrible. They get 5 more pax through narrowing the seats and aisles....I flew a couple of times with the new seats and find them MOST DISGUSTING!!!!!!! If I had to pay a full paid C class ticket and would get such a seat, I would certainly write a letter of complaint to LH CEO Wolfgang Mayrhuber. It seems to me that these people don`t fly their own aircraft. A guy like him, who is almost 2 meters tall, would certainly "enjoy" his new seat choice. He´d be sitting like in a submarine! And in C, I don`t necessarily would care that LH tries to keep the middle seat blocked. What benefit does it bring you, if you own seat squeezes you like hell? I am certainly not the lightest of all people but also not fat. A "bigger" person would get a horror! In my view, it is not enough to praise your new C-class seats for long haul trips but don`t mention that your domestic seats are absolutely rubbish. I am sorry, but this management plan is a slap in the face for all LH customers!!!!! Some FAs told me that LH created the new seat structure in order to counter the growing number of "no-frills" airlines. But why should I care about this? That is why I am flying Lufthansa: Because I don`t want to be flying in a "no-frill" plane and feel myself like in a squeezed bus!

Ok, enough of this----I would be happy to have your thoughts on this!

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year

Yours, Martin
Old Dec 16, 03, 9:18 pm

I def. agree! You must talk about the regional jets, like the Avro, which they use on the FRA-CGN route. Took this flight a few weeks ago and I did literally not fit into the seat. After eight hours in First from DEL it was quiet an experience. Even in 1st row it was not really bearable. Those are short flights, but it is still unbelievable that LH squeezes 6 seats in one AVRO row.

Also on the long haul LH service is by far not what it was two years ago. I am at the moment quiet often flying BA if I am off to the US, really great service and seats in all classes and fine ground service. I will in the future only use LH for Germany and South Europe, as they have the best connections and London is too much time loss.
Old Dec 16, 03, 10:18 pm

I was also on the flight with new C seats. They are narrow and less comfortable than the usual leather ones. This is definitely not an improvement. I did not check if these were also the seats in the economy class.
Old Dec 17, 03, 1:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
I was on a 737 from MUC-LHR last weekend which had 3-3 seating in C and Y. The C seats could not be converted to 2 seats as there was no mechanism. The seats were grey with small yellow horizontal stripes. I felt it was a real waste of 10,000 miles to upgrade and have told LH this. Luckily I had two spare seats next to me in Row 1.
Old Dec 17, 03, 3:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tags:
LH has a new "BESTUHLUNG" - new seat structure - tapped for all aircraft. I find that the domestic planes carrying the new seat structure are horrible. They get 5 more pax through narrowing the seats and aisles....</font>
Narrowing the seats and the aisles? 5 more passengers?? No, I don't think so... Narrowing seats and aisles just to get more passengers on the plane would only work if you increase seating from, say 3-3 to 3-4. This did not happen. What LH did was to get rid of some galleys and closets and together with the new seats, this will get more passengers per plane. But it has nothing to do with narrower aisles or seats.

Old Dec 17, 03, 3:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
puh-lease... there are x threads already on the topic, the latest here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum32/HTML/003523.html

If you only want to pay peanuts for your tickets accept the fact that services are going to be minimal. When the lowest fare TXL-MUC vv was DM 250, they used to serve breakfast on a 45min flight only 3 years ago, and offered sandwiches and chocolates galore at the gate (MUC/FRA-TXL vv 8-10 years ago). We used to take chocolates as much as the handbaggage could hold.

Times change, we move on.

Regards Oliver
Old Dec 17, 03, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Hi Curt,

well, I don`t know what they did to get 5 extra seats out of the planes, but they did. Anyway, the width of the aisle is smaller than before!! And yes, those grey seats are they new ones...I find them MOST DISTUSTING!! Sorry for the swearing....but this warrants some swearting

Martin

Old Dec 17, 03, 4:34 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by oliver2002:
... and offered sandwiches and chocolates galore at the gate (MUC/FRA-TXL vv 8-10 years ago). We used to take chocolates as much as the handbaggage could hold.
Regards Oliver
</font>
I assume it's because of ppl like you, these little chocolates vanished from the gate completely. Why not just take 1 or 2?

Old Dec 17, 03, 4:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DELHOPPER:
I def. agree! You must talk about the regional jets, like the Avro, which they use on the FRA-CGN route. Took this flight a few weeks ago and I did literally not fit into the seat. After eight hours in First from DEL it was quiet an experience. Even in 1st row it was not really bearable. Those are short flights, but it is still unbelievable that LH squeezes 6 seats in one AVRO row.

Also on the long haul LH service is by far not what it was two years ago. I am at the moment quiet often flying BA if I am off to the US, really great service and seats in all classes and fine ground service. I will in the future only use LH for Germany and South Europe, as they have the best connections and London is too much time loss.
</font>
I agree with your remarks, but why FLY FRA-CGN in the first place. You may know, there is a nice, comfy train connection, it has a LH flight number and you get miles as well.

Old Dec 17, 03, 4:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I wrecked my brains and must admit the choclate thing was more than 11 years ago... as for the business of not taking 1-2 pieces... well, I was youg, innocent and had an appetite for chocolates. Now I have a growing waistline, will become 30 next year, read/post too much on FT and collect miles instead of chocolates.

Regards Oliver
Old Dec 17, 03, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Hi Oliver,

well, most of my flights that were the cheapest were 130 euros. In my old view, that makes 260 marks.....so what do I get? and like I said....those were the cheapest. I was flying for 485 euros recently. Would I have been sitting in this new seat for that money, I don`t know what I would have done

Martin
Old Dec 17, 03, 5:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tags:
I was flying for 485 euros recently. Would I have been sitting in this new seat for that money, I don`t know what I would have done

Martin
</font>
I smell Air Rage!

Old Dec 17, 03, 5:43 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by oliver2002:
I wrecked my brains and must admit the choclate thing was more than 11 years ago... as for the business of not taking 1-2 pieces... well, I was youg, innocent and had an appetite for chocolates. Now I have a growing waistline, will become 30 next year, read/post too much on FT and collect miles instead of chocolates.

Regards Oliver
</font>

Oh well, you were "young and innocent (and in need of the money)" - I use that as an excuse for misbehaviour in my younger age all the time. But I've seen mostly business men taking hands full of "schoki" and these other goodies at the gates.
Old Dec 17, 03, 11:52 pm

Those must have been the same business men that took 5 to 10 miniature liquor or wine bottles from the lounge when they were still offered (15 years ago?).

Frequent Flyers = Frequent drinkers ?!

LH pulled the miniatures for "environmental" reasons, but I tend to believe that they just reduced consumption with the open regular bottles they introduced. Same with the hidden champagne in most lounges now, seems to be just for the reason that the frequent drinkers shy from ordering the 4,5,6,..10th glass, when self pouring the next one was so easy.

Search this Thread