Can a LH bump voucher be given to another person?

Old Nov 14, 03, 3:40 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman
Original Poster

Can a LH bump voucher be given to another person?

Can someone gift a LH bump voucher to another person so that the person can take it to an airport and use it to ticket a trip, or does the person who got bumped need to get the ticket? There is a name already on the voucher of the bumpee.

Anyone have any personal experience or knowlege?

Thanks,

CF
Old Nov 14, 03, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, SPG P75, HH Gold, Hertz PC
At my home-airport the LH-staff will do almost everything (combine/split...whatever) I ask them to do with VDB-vouchers (I assume ou talk about these).

Not sure about the actual rules, but nothing in the terms&conditions says that these are non-transferable, so I would expect that you at least can have tickets issued in anybody's name. Not sure if the bearer has to be present officially, but in my case nobody bothered that she was not.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Nov 16, 03, 7:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LH SEN**, MR LT Platinum Premier
When I ticketed in Munich with one from my mother, they refused to take it. I had to send it to her and she had to ticket it in person at her local airport. And that was with the same last name.
Old Nov 17, 03, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
FWIW: here is a reply from their Customer service e-mail from this morning when I posted the identical question:

"Dear Ms.---,

Thank you for contacting the Lufthansa Internet Service Center.
The DBC Vouchers are handled like cash and may be used by anyone. If you wish to
redeem them for cash, you will receive half the total cash value. You will need
to mail the vouchers to:
Lufthansa Airlines
Attn. Refund Department
1640 Hempstead Turnpike
East Meadow, New York 11554"

We look forward to serving you online and in flight in the future.

Old Nov 18, 03, 5:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I addressed this issue with a LH ticketdesk in Munich some time earlier this year. They said in principle they are like cash, but to make sure the holder is agreeing to the cashing either he/she has to be present when you want to pay with vouchers or you provide a written letter authorising someone else to use your vouchers. If you write such a letter, enclose a copy of your ID or passport where your name and signature is clearly shown. That way all is in order.

BTW, LH can also cash your voucher over the phone if you mention the number during the booking, provided you send in the vouchers afterwards. The numbers are entered in your ticket under the field 'Issued in exchange for'.

Theoretically you cant use a voucher again once it has been used and included in a ticketing process. It once took me ages to get a ticket because the computer wouldn't validate/accept the voucher number and the LH guy was trying again and again to pass the check.

Regards Oliver

Search this Thread