Paid upgrades @ departure

Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
Paid upgrades @ departure

I have a Y ticket issued by my companies TA. The difference to C (flying C is against company policy) is only 36 euros - can I just go to the LH ticket desk at departure and get them to upgrade the ticket for me or will they refer me back to the TA?

[This message has been edited by duncfly (edited 09-23-2003).]
Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:52 am

I used to call the SEN line and upgrade my domestic full-fare Y ticket to C using my personal credit card. It worked fine, so I never went to the ticket counter at the airport...
Old Sep 23, 2003, 4:06 am
Uli

funny company

that is only 18 euro per way to ensure at least that you can hang your coat (and look nicer at the customers site), you can save some minutes by leaving the aircraft first, save more time as you can take virtually everything as carry-on, and you can use the free-of-charge internet in the lounge to do some email work for the company.
not to forget you dont have to steal SPIEGEL or WIRTSCHAFTSWOCHE from the company as you get a new one ...

plus, you earn more miles and can buy a ticket for your company´s boss´next holiday!
Old Sep 23, 2003, 4:11 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Nicely said Uli,

this is a no brainer to upgrade for 36 EUR RT. Strange policy!
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sounds like an opportunity to apply the old:

Buy full Y, switch at airport to reduced C (ie D) and hope your travel plans don't change. Oh, and keep some change!
Old Sep 23, 2003, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
well, the policy (intra europe) is to buy the cheapest eco tix which in this case just happens to be full fare Y.....and as I am only a few thousand miles short of SEN, this seems like a cheap opportunity to get a little closer!

You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many billions the company has in the bank......strange policy indeed
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:36 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat, Hyatt Dia, HHonors Dia, PC Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Uli:
plus, you earn more miles and can buy a ticket for your company´s boss´next holiday!</font>
Ah, Uli, is this what you use your miles for? In that case, shouldn't reading FT count as working overtime as well?
Ehh, wait a minute, I've got too many unpaid hours extra already...
Old Sep 23, 2003, 9:49 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz ignored
Be aware, that some company tariffs do not allow upgrades. So does mine for example. LH seems to be pretty strict in enforcing this rule.

Additionally, if you are flying on PAF(Pay as you fly)-tariffs, upgrading with money is technically not possible, because your ticket will only be charged at the moment you check in.

Smash
(a frequent 20€-upgrader when it used to be allowed )
Old Sep 23, 2003, 1:36 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Many european companies have strict rules, that if eco is available no flight under 4 or 6 h is booked in C.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.