Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOT gets Iraq flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2003, 3:50 am
Original Poster

LOT gets Iraq flights

6 airlines has got the Iraq flights. SAS, LOT and four arabic airlines(havent seen those names yet).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum42/HTML/001512.html

This means that no other european based airline then LOT and SAS(Both parts of Star Alliance) gets the flights.

Sorry only in Swedish below

SAS fĺr flygtillstĺnd till Basra

SAS blir ett av sex flygbolag som fĺr
börja flyga till Basra i södra Irak
när den internationella trafiken
ĺterupptas efter tolv ĺrs uppehĺll.

Det har Iraks styrande rĺd be****at,
uppger nyhetsbyrĺn Reuters. Trafiken
ska kunna komma igĺng inom nĺgra
veckor, skriver rĺdet i ett uttalande.

Lennart Svantemark pĺ SAS säger att
man räknar med tvĺ turer i veckan frĺn
Köpenhamn - främst passagerartrafik
för exilirakier och affärsresenärer.

Förutom SAS har fyra arabiska bolag
och polska LOT fĺtt tillstĺnd.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:42 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I don't really undertand this Germanic language, but what I make of it it sounds like they are talking about flights to Basra. Is that correct?
Old Aug 12, 2003, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Yes, Basra is the first one to open.

"Baghdad airport in particular has seen continuing attempted attacks on aircraft, prompting a British official to announce last month that Basra airport would be the first to open"
Old Aug 12, 2003, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
BA has also got permission to fly to Basra

British flights to Iraq given green light

British Airways has been given permission to start flights to Iraq.

The airline received confirmation today (Tuesday, August 12) from the US-led administration in Iraq, the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA), that it had been granted approval to begin air services to Basra.

The airline plans to fly twice a week, via Kuwait, using a Boeing 777 aircraft. A decision will be taken, together with the CPA, to set a date for the resumption of flights.

Geoff Want, director of safety and security, said: “The security of our customers, staff and operation is absolutely paramount and we will fly to Iraq only once we are confident that it is safe for us to do so.”

Alan Burnett, regional director for the Middle East and Africa, said: “We are delighted that we have been given the go ahead to start services to Iraq. Our priority is to establish flights to Basra as soon as we can but we continue to look at the possibility of starting flights to Baghdad in the future once the airport is open.

“Air services connecting Iraq with Europe will provide a vital link during the rebuilding of Iraq and commercial flights will be the cornerstone of the economic development of the country.”

(from ba.com)

Old Aug 13, 2003, 3:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kempis:
6 airlines has got the Iraq flights. SAS, LOT and four arabic airlines(havent seen those names yet).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum42/HTML/001512.html

This means that no other european based airline then LOT and SAS(Both parts of Star Alliance) gets the flights.

Sorry only in Swedish below

SAS fĺr flygtillstĺnd till Basra

SAS blir ett av sex flygbolag som fĺr
börja flyga till Basra i södra Irak
när den internationella trafiken
ĺterupptas efter tolv ĺrs uppehĺll.

Det har Iraks styrande rĺd be****at,
uppger nyhetsbyrĺn Reuters. Trafiken
ska kunna komma igĺng inom nĺgra
veckor, skriver rĺdet i ett uttalande.

Lennart Svantemark pĺ SAS säger att
man räknar med tvĺ turer i veckan frĺn
Köpenhamn - främst passagerartrafik
för exilirakier och affärsresenärer.

Förutom SAS har fyra arabiska bolag
och polska LOT fĺtt tillstĺnd.
</font>
My colleagues from LOT about one month ago informed me that LOT was going to open 3-4 flights a week to Iraq as a extention of flights to Beiruth. This is what I know so fat in this matter.

Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chris1:
My colleagues from LOT about one month ago informed me that LOT was going to open 3-4 flights a week to Iraq as a extention of flights to Beiruth. This is what I know so fat in this matter.

</font>
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:01 am

It looks like the so called "coalition of the willing" has been awarded the flights.

Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
What about Qantas? A new SYD-SIN-Basra-CDG service would go down well.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 2:19 am
Point_Chaser

Just saw that WAW-BSR has been added in Amadeus...

They will operate the route from 27 August on Wednesdays...

LO169 WAW-BSR 05:35-14:00 1 Stop 733
LO170 BSR-WAW 14:50-19:40 1 Stop 733

And as reported eariler, the one stop is BEY.
I priced it out in SEK, and an Economy class tickets 27AUG-3SEP turned out 7545SEK including taxes (Approx. EUR713 or USD902).

Old Aug 22, 2003, 9:49 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
(FVW) Feeder flights can be booked from Hamburg, Berlin, Munich and Frankfurt. The necessary hotel night will be paid by LOT. Flight tickets can be used as voucher.
There's nothing written if all booking classes are eligible and which hotel(s) can (has to) be chosen.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M
Old Aug 25, 2003, 2:32 pm

Location: Denmark, SAS Gold, Lufthansa Senator (GOLD ), KLM Platinium
Seems like they will start on wednesday :

from Miles and more homepage / LOT section :

LOT launch flights to Basrah

More opportunities to earn miles!

2003-08-21, 18:26

LOT Polish Airlines will be one of two European airlines operating into Iraq. The first commercial flight on the Warsaw-Beirut-Basrah route is scheduled on August 27th. A Boeing 737 plane will take-off every Wednesday for the southern Iraqi city of Basrah.

Taking advantage of the geographical location of Warsaw, LOT Polish Airlines has an opportunity to render transport services not only between Poland and Iraq. There is also a possibility to feed the passenger stream between the Polish capital and Basrah with transit passengers originating from the Baltic States and East European countries. Moreover, LOT Polish Airlines has well developed network covering all major cities in Western Europe and in North America (JFK, Newark, Chicago, Toronto). An important reason behind the decision was also the commitment of Polish companies in rebuilding Iraq as well as the functioning of the Polish stabilisation zone.

On August 11th, LOT Polish Airlines and six other carriers were officially granted by CPA the initial rights to fly to Iraq, each being allowed one operation a week. Moreover LOT will be the first carrier operating into Iraq for over a decade, since suspending all commercial operations to this country in 1990 following the Gulf War.

landing in Beirut will be only of a technical character and connected with aircraft fuelling.

[This message has been edited by The-Longhauler (edited 08-25-2003).]
Old Aug 26, 2003, 4:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The-Longhauler:
Seems like they will start on wednesday :

from Miles and more homepage / LOT section :

LOT launch flights to Basrah

More opportunities to earn miles!

2003-08-21, 18:26

LOT Polish Airlines will be one of two European airlines operating into Iraq. The first commercial flight on the Warsaw-Beirut-Basrah route is scheduled on August 27th. A Boeing 737 plane will take-off every Wednesday for the southern Iraqi city of Basrah.

Taking advantage of the geographical location of Warsaw, LOT Polish Airlines has an opportunity to render transport services not only between Poland and Iraq. There is also a possibility to feed the passenger stream between the Polish capital and Basrah with transit passengers originating from the Baltic States and East European countries. Moreover, LOT Polish Airlines has well developed network covering all major cities in Western Europe and in North America (JFK, Newark, Chicago, Toronto). An important reason behind the decision was also the commitment of Polish companies in rebuilding Iraq as well as the functioning of the Polish stabilisation zone.

On August 11th, LOT Polish Airlines and six other carriers were officially granted by CPA the initial rights to fly to Iraq, each being allowed one operation a week. Moreover LOT will be the first carrier operating into Iraq for over a decade, since suspending all commercial operations to this country in 1990 following the Gulf War.

landing in Beirut will be only of a technical character and connected with aircraft fuelling.

[This message has been edited by The-Longhauler (edited 08-25-2003).]
</font>
Polish newspapers inform that first flight to Basra will be postponed due to security reasons and situation in that region.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.