FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   An $8000 "entry fee" for LH Gold lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/683223-8000-entry-fee-lh-gold-lounge.html)

kevinsac Apr 16, 2007 2:49 pm

An $8000 "entry fee" for LH Gold lounge

I arrived in FRA very early morning, waiting for a friend who would be arriving at a close-by gate several hours later. I was not flying onward and neither was she. I simply wanted a quiet place to sit.....I did not want to eat, I did not want to shower......just sit and wait.

Since I am Gold *A, I asked if I might wait at the Gold/Senator Lounge at B42. She "graciously" declined to let me in, since I did not have an onward ticket.

So, I went 100 yards down the terminal to the ticket counter, and bought a fully refundable one-way ticket to MUC that afternoon. I could always go back and refund the ticket later.

I went to the Senator Lounge....showed her my ticket....and she said that since I was flying onward domestic, I should use the Senator Lounge at A26.

So, I went back to the ticket counter, turned in my Euro 360 and got a refund. Agent played around on the system, and found an F seat available on the afternoon Hong Kong flight.

Showed the lounge agent that ticket, and she huffed and puffed, and let me in.

I returned the ticket after my friend had arrived.

Many ways to skin a LH cat.

SmilingBoy Apr 16, 2007 2:58 pm

:td: And you are proud of it :td:

rorschi Apr 16, 2007 3:00 pm

:eek:

But to be honest, for that money you had the opportunity to go to the FC-Terminal or an F-Class-Lounge and take a shower with an original Lufthansa First Class rubber duck!

BenjaminNYC Apr 16, 2007 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac (Post 7591163)
I arrived in FRA very early morning, waiting for a friend who would be arriving at a close-by gate several hours later. I was not flying onward and neither was she. I simply wanted a quiet place to sit.....I did not want to eat, I did not want to shower......just sit and wait.

Since I am Gold *A, I asked if I might wait at the Gold/Senator Lounge at B42. She "graciously" declined to let me in, since I did not have an onward ticket.

So, I went 100 yards down the terminal to the ticket counter, and bought a fully refundable one-way ticket to MUC that afternoon. I could always go back and refund the ticket later.

I went to the Senator Lounge....showed her my ticket....and she said that since I was flying onward domestic, I should use the Senator Lounge at A26.

So, I went back to the ticket counter, turned in my Euro 360 and got a refund. Agent played around on the system, and found an F seat available on the afternoon Hong Kong flight.

Showed the lounge agent that ticket, and she huffed and puffed, and let me in.

:td:

flysurfer Apr 16, 2007 3:18 pm

I arrived in FRA very early morning

If you arrived in LH C or F, you had access to the Business lounge or F lounges as a part of LH's arrival services. Just show your BP stub.

If you arrived on UA, you could have used UA's arrival services in FRA.

Also, buying a ticket at a German counter involves a nonrefundable TSC, and since you bought 2 tickets, you probably paid around US$100 in order to get into the SEN lounge.

I hope it was worth it. :)

Grog Apr 16, 2007 3:19 pm

And, play the game if you will, but don't underestimate LH's ability to dork up the refund :D

Axey Apr 16, 2007 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by flysurfer (Post 7591356)
Also, buying a ticket at a German counter involves a nonrefundable TSC, and since you bought 2 tickets, you probably paid around US$100 in order to get into the SEN lounge.

I hope it was worth it. :)

:D

Originally Posted by Grog
And, play the game if you will, but don't underestimate LH's ability to dork up the refund :D

Ain't that the truth!

kevinsac Apr 16, 2007 3:26 pm

Didn't want to go to the FCT....altho a duckie would have been fun. I just wanted to sit quietly and wait, and we had made plans before either of us was airborne to meet at that lounge.

Luckily--I guess--both refunds have already posted to my account, at 100% of the purchase price.

BenjaminNYC Apr 16, 2007 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac (Post 7591424)
I just wanted to sit quietly and wait

Why not just sit quietly and wait just outside the lounge?

Triple3 Apr 16, 2007 3:33 pm

[...]

:rolleyes:

flysurfer Apr 16, 2007 3:34 pm

Luckily--I guess--both refunds have already posted to my account, at 100% of the purchase price.

That's unusual and lucky, indeed.

You could have simply asked any SEN to take you along as his guest, btw.

Triple3 Apr 16, 2007 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by flysurfer (Post 7591471)
You could have simply asked any SEN to take you along as his guest, btw.

But showing off with you own red BP is SO much more cool. :rolleyes:

flysurfer Apr 16, 2007 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Triple3 (Post 7591537)

Yep, I should really start to use lounges more often. I'm by far missing my show-off potential. ;)

ulev Apr 16, 2007 4:10 pm

.....I just wanted to sit quietly and wait, and we had made plans before either of us was airborne to meet at that lounge.

That simply means you didn't plan well enough.

This is very unlikely. Maybe you should check your CC statement again about the 100%.

kevinsac Apr 16, 2007 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Triple3 (Post 7591537)

Ya gotta admit, amongst frequent fliers, those LH red boarding passes are recognizable from 20 paces!

Originally Posted by ulev (Post 7591724)
This is very unlikely. Maybe you should check your CC statement again about the 100%.

Thank you for your concern.
+ Euro369
- Euro369
+ Euro7683
- Euro7683
_________
Comes up Euro 0.00 with my abbacus.

Granted, I told the ticket agenct what I was doing--she said she'd done numerous tickets like that before, and she was going to "hold" the tickets aside for me until I returned them. Don;t know if that made a diff or not.