Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary upgrades visible online in advance?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2003, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Voluntary upgrades visible online in advance?

I just checked all my bookings online on the IFW and noticed something strange in one booking:

BD3544 Wed, Jun. 4, 2003 08:30 CGN 08:55 LHR Confirmed
Economy Class Best Buy

LO282 Wed, Jun. 4, 2003 10:40 LHR 14:10 WAW Confirmed
Economy Class Best Buy

LO3901 Wed, Jun. 4, 2003 16:20 WAW 17:20 KRK Confirmed
Economy Class Best Buy

LO273 Sat, Jun. 7, 2003 08:30 KRK 10:00 LGW Confirmed
Economy Class Best Buy

BD3259 Sat, Jun. 7, 2003 17:45 LHR (1) 20:00 DUS Confirmed
U

The BD segments are operated by LH Cityline.

(For those of you who wonder about the strange routing, this is the only way to get from DUS/CGN to Poland for under 800€ without a Sunday stay; this itinerary is priced at 390€ including all taxes.)

Now to the actual question:

The last segment shows "U" in the space where it says "Economy Class Best Buy" for all other segments. Could it be that the "U" stands for "UPGRADE"?

This would surprise for several reasons: In five years as SEN and FTL, I have only ever received TWO voluntary upgrades on flights that were not overbooked. Both of these upgrades were granted just before boarding, once at CDG and once at MUC, and certainly not registered in the system before. All of these flights still have plenty of availability, so it's not an upgrade due to overbooking of Y. Furthermore, it would greatly surprise me if BD (which has a reputation for being quite generous with upgrades to *A status holders) itself upgraded within its inventory on LH metal, as for sure they will have to pay LH for it.

On the other hand, I don't fly much in paid Y, thus don't have too much experience with upgrades. Most of my flights have been in European C class where no upgrade is possible. So maybe this is just a standard procedure that I haven't experienced yet.

I have done some heavy flying lately (over 30k status miles this month alone) and am on my way back to SEN. Plus I have a couple of F bookings ex CAI showing up in my account for later this year. So maybe LH want to do me a favour.

I don't want to create a fuss about something as plain as an upgrade (if indeed it is one), I am just surprised to see this online and that they plan this ahead.

I would be glad if someone could enlighten me:

1. Does the U stand for upgrade?
2. What are common LH procedures/patterns on granting voluntary upgrades ahead of check-in?

[This message has been edited by HajoFlyer (edited 05-29-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.