Questions about the US Christmas present for SENs (20% off voucher)

Old Feb 4, 03, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Questions about the US Christmas present for SENs (20% off voucher)

Hi,

I have a few questions about the 20% off Christmas voucher that was given to LH SEN's in the US as a Christmas present. I don't have the voucher here right now, so I thought I might as well as my questions here.

1. Can I use this voucher for friends/family?

2. Can I use this voucher also for trips originating in Germany? Preferrably, I would like to get the US mileage, plus 20% off despite the fact that the trip originates in Germany. I.e. 80k for First or 64k for Business.

For both questions, I'd be interested in (i) what the official rules on the voucher state and (ii) what your personal experience was.

Thanks.

--sfosenkid
Old Feb 4, 03, 2:28 am

Personal experience (as of Summer 2002) regarding your second question: Yes, you can use the voucher for trips originating in Germany. However, you will be billed the corresponding amount of miles (140K - 28K = 112K miles for a transatlantic flight in F).
Old Feb 4, 03, 2:38 am
Uli

You can use it for any award that is deducted from your account, even if you book an award for a family member/friend.
Old Mar 8, 03, 8:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Uli:
You can use it for any award that is deducted from your account, even if you book an award for a family member/friend.</font>
Uli: My friend who's a (US-based) Senator is trying to use his coupon and his miles from his account to issue a free ticket for me in the Hong Kong office. The HK staff is not familiar with the coupon and said it's not transferable. After we told her that's not true, she said she'll contact the US M&M office to clarify.

Is there anything else we can quote or do if she continues to reject this?

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 03, 2:09 am

SFVOYAGE

why does your friend - US based SEN - not have the ticket issued himself and then sent to you - in order to avoid all confusion, that you might incur in HK.
An alternative is also for him to have it issued in the US - but sent to you in HK through M&M US - works at least in Europe.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Mar 10, 03, 5:10 am

Thomas,

Thanks for your suggestion. My friend is currently in Hong Kong and has the coupon with him. But I think you're right. It may be easier to call M&M in the US and ask them to take care of this situation. We can send them the coupon, and they can issue an e-ticket for me in HK.

Update: The US M&M office said the coupon is not transferable and cannot be used against a ticket for another traveler. They said they adminster this discount offer and have never authorized anyone to use the coupon for third party ticket.

Obviously, this contradicts Uli's response earlier that the coupon can be used to book a ticket for family/friend.

Has any SEN actually been successful in using his/her 20% coupon against a ticket for someone else? Is this a lost cause?

[This message has been edited by sfvoyage (edited 03-11-2003).]
Old Mar 18, 03, 8:11 pm

Has any SEN been able to use this 20% award discount coupon to deduct miles from your own account to issue an award ticket in someone else's name?

Earlier responses to this post led me to believe that this is possible. However, the US M&M office said this is not allowed. They said they administer this award and have never allowed this to happen.

Just double-checking before getting the ticket issued by Monday. Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 03, 1:15 am

I spoke with them about a similar question a few days ago and they said the discount is only valid for an award ticket with the same passenger name as on the coupon.

Search this Thread