BRU lounges???

Old Mar 5, 03, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

BRU lounges???

I have a 5 hour layover in BRU and I'm flying UA in business class (IAD-BRU and back to IAD). Will I have access to the LH Business lounge while in BRU?

Are there showers for me to use to freshen up? Any other comments on the lounge?

Finally, are there any other lounges in BRU that I could access with my business class ticket?

many thanks for any assistance...
Old Mar 5, 03, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
BRU is divided into Concourse A (EU flights except the UK and Ireland) and Concourse B (Intercontinental flights plus the UK and Ireland).

LH and SK have nice new lounges in Terminal A (which was only opened last year). BD have a lounge in Terminal B, which I understand is also used by UA. This lounge is comfortable enough (on the roof of the concourse so OK views), but no showers (BD flies to LHR, a one hour flight at most) or internet access (no BD lounge has net access). LH does have internet access IIRC, but I don't think there are any showers (again, most flights are an hour or less in duration).

The big problem for you accessing LH and SK lounges is getting into Concourse A. This is rather like catching a flight from the International Terminal at SFO and then trying to get into a lounge after security, post 9/11, in the domestic concourse. You will have to clear security and passport control into Concourse B if you have a UA boarding pass. Once through there, you can transfer to Concourse A but it is a LONG walk (with 5 hours to kill this is probably doable). I would imagine you will have to go through immigration between Concourse A and B, as Concourse A flights are all within the common EU travel zone ("Schengen"), and on the way back to Concourse B.

In short, doable but a hassle for some free internet access! The airport may have showers available for public use, which are likely to be OK (BRU is a pretty new, clean place!).

No idea about third party lounges. I know there is one in Concourse B and imagine you can just turno up and pay on entry, but don't know for sure.

Another option would be a day room at the Hilton adjoining the airport terminal - their food is also pretty good. On arrival with UA, you used to get a day room here as the arrivals service, though that has been cut recently.

[This message has been edited by House (edited 03-05-2003).]
Old Mar 5, 03, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were lost is BRU last weekend, and I don't think Customs was required A-B-A. We had to go out to get UA boarding passes as LH cannot issue them.

We landed at 34A, and left 40 B. Took an hour with stop at boarding pass desk.

The BD lounge is small. The UA flight pretty much filled it. Adequate lounge. Had a few wines, soft drinks, and snacks. TV was NOT blaring. No children. Did not notice showers.

[This message has been edited by slawecki (edited 03-05-2003).]
Old Mar 5, 03, 2:30 pm

If I had a 5-hour layover in BRU, I'd take a train to the city, stroll in the center, have lunch in a touristic trap and top it all with lots of Belgian beer, not forgetting to buy some chocolates before I leave back to the airport. It's all doable in 5 hours.

Shuly
Old Mar 5, 03, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information folks. While I would like to go into the city, I'll be there from 7am to noon on a Sunday morning so I wouldn't expect too much to be open. So, I'll spend the 5 hours checking out all 3 lounges if I can and I'll include some feedback in my trip report.

Thanks again everyone!!!
Old Mar 5, 03, 7:17 pm
Patron

As work2fly asked this question also on the *A board, I am closing this thread here.

Patron
LH TalkTeam Moderator

[This message has been edited by Patron (edited 03-05-2003).]

Search this Thread