Search

C only flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2002, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
C only flights

I just found this at www.vornesitzen.de

Nachdem die Auslastungsziele auf der Strecke Düsseldorf-Newark früher als geplant erreicht wurden, plant Lufthansa eine Erweiterung der Business-only-Flüge (Boeng Business Jet mit 48 Sitzplätzen). Der Nahe Osten oder Asien sind als Destinationen im Gespräch.

short translation: As yields on DUS-EWR were reached much earlier than expected, LH plans to extend their C only service. Potential destinations: Near east or Asia.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 1:20 pm

I am not sure if the BBJ can fly DUS-Japan nonstop but this would be a no brainer for LH I guess.
Or perhaps DXB from DUS as it seems that LH earns a lot of money on FRA-DXB.(Upgraded from an A 340 to a B 747-400 this winter)

Tim
Old Dec 6, 2002, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
BBJ range with 50 pax is stated as being 6,245 miles. The further of DUS-HKG or DUS-NRT is 400 miles less.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 3:26 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Sony has announced to close big parts of their Berlin located headquarters for europe. One of the main reasons was stated as that there are no direct flights for their managers Berlin-Japan. It sounds a bit weird; but if such a thing is really so important for a company like them then a C only BBJ flight TXL-NRT or probably DUS-TXL-NRT could make sense for LH.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ralfkrippner:
Sony has announced to close big parts of their Berlin located headquarters for europe. One of the main reasons was stated as that there are no direct flights for their managers Berlin-Japan. It sounds a bit weird; but if such a thing is really so important for a company like them then a C only BBJ flight TXL-NRT or probably DUS-TXL-NRT could make sense for LH.</font>
Very interesting, indeed...
Old Dec 10, 2002, 9:56 am

Load Factor on DUS-EWR is now more than 60 per cent which means that LH is earning money with this flight.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 11:54 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
New unconfirmed rumors from a Swiss website now speak of a second LH-BBJ service operated by PrivatAir on MUC-EWR beginning next summer.

I wonder which ac PrivatAir wants to use. They have already ordered two A319CJ for an Airbus company shuttle operation. Seems that they have to reconfigure one of their BBJs...
Old Feb 11, 2003, 12:39 pm
Suspended

DUS-Japan would be a logical addition, JAL operates two busses each day to FRA to feed its flights from there....

I doubt that they introduce anything from MUC, would not make much sense at all.But Berlin could be a good market, from an industry and government traffic standpoint...

Old Feb 11, 2003, 2:22 pm

Programs: LH/BA/DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Threy:
Berlin could be a good market, from an industry and government traffic standpoint... </font>
Unlikely, because demand for premium class travel to/from Berlin has always been low, that's what killed the LH TXL-IAD and the SQ SXF-ZRH-SIN.

Besides, travellers in Berlin are so used to connecting for international flights and there is absolutely no long haul competition to/from Berlin, that LH would only compete with its own connections thru FRA/MUC.

Instead, LH is trying to force everyone to FRA/MUC. They even make it hard (or impossible) to connect to other *A long haul flights (e.g. there is no *A flight from Berlin to LHR and connections to CDG are very limited.) CPH and VIE still have connections on SAS and OS, so that offers some limited access to *A long haul flights.

BTW, flying AF, BA or others from Berlin is usually (almost) as convenient as connection to LH in FRA and can be much cheaper in business and first.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 3:07 am
Suspended

Everybody is moving to Berlin right now ( or is already there ), so there is definitely a demand for about 30 C seats each day ( or on 5-6 days like DUS ) to IAD or JFK, especially because people are so sick of connecting though FRA/MUC.As you mentioned earlier, LH has no edge on the competition right now from a time consuming perspective and it is likely that LH is more expensive.

I agree with you that the total number of pax will probadly not increase much, but LH will be able to get some passengers back from other airlines and from the Luftwaffe...?

Beside that one should never underestimate the potential of all the political traffic.
Obviously Berlin was not ready for a nonstop to the US in the past, but will be in the very near future.

And then Lufthansa will be smart enough to get into the market quickly to prevent other airlines from doing so.I believe that this was the main reason for starting the DUS-EWR flight so quickly.Lots of rumours at DUS a year ago about airlines coming back to fly to EWR ( only LH and CO did so in the past ), then some months of silence and all of a sudden LH was there on short notice, which is normally not characteristic for LH.

So right now, I guess that DUS will get mainline service to the US again ( especially after UA pulled DUS-IAD ) The question will be, if LH will still fly the BBJ to EWR and mainline to IAD, maybe only for the summerseason, or if they fly to EWR again.Aircraft rotation will be crucial, they cannot do maintenance here at DUS, from what I understand....

Beside that Asiana is going to join *, they were already in the process of announcing a nonstop flight to Seoul, before the asian market collapsed some 7-8 years ago....

DUS always wanted a nonstop to ASIA, but their runways are too short for handling a 744, according to rumours the only aircraft capable of flying ASIA-DUS with a profit, because of his cargo capacity.
The new 777-300 has 35% more cargo space than a 744, so I guess this would be the perfect plane for DUS-ASIA or maybe ASIA-DUS-AMS-ASIA....

Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:53 am
Uli

there are cargo flights to DUS from Asia. we receive a weekly airfreight delivery that comes off a flight operated by Eva airways, TPE-DUS (with a fuel stop). dont know which kind of aircraft they use.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
EVA is normally MD11 freighters... I didn't know they ran a regular DUS service?
Old Feb 13, 2003, 5:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Uli:
there are cargo flights to DUS from Asia. we receive a weekly airfreight delivery that comes off a flight operated by Eva airways, TPE-DUS (with a fuel stop). dont know which kind of aircraft they use.</font>
Perhaps a road feeder service from FRA?
Old Feb 14, 2003, 1:24 am
Uli

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickP 1K:
EVA is normally MD11 freighters... I didn't know they ran a regular DUS service?</font>
Yes, they do, I think it is twice a week. This is for sure not a feeder from FRA ... we are in FRA and we receive the cargo via truck from DUS because the Eva freighter goes to DUS directly.

It is much cheaper than flights into FRA. If you make the customs clearance in DUS, then you receive the good in FRA earlier than if you have a direct flight into FRA ... DUS is so much faster that you can forget about the truck ride ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.