Seating Help--First Time on LH

Old Jan 29, 03, 10:03 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
Seating Help--First Time on LH

Hello Lufthansa Folks!

Occasional LH Forum lurker, first time LH Forum poster...I'm going to be taking my first trip soon on LH (it's my first trip to Europe as well--so have no idea what to expect in intra-Europe C), and would appreciate some suggestions on seats...

I'm on a Star Alliance award in F overwater, and C intra-Europe (using UA miles). I've read posts here about the seats on the upstairs F, and think I want the exit row window, but I'm perplexed regarding the intra-Europe C-class seating.

I will be traveling alone, and am more concerned about personal space (seat width and avoiding people directly next to me as much as possible). Any input on seating and what to expect on these flights?

CDG-DUS on a CR1 (CRJ has C class?)
DUS-BCN on a 737
BCN-FRA on a 32S (A320, I think)

Do I have any lounge options in Barcelona or DeGaulle? I'm *Gold, and again, in F class on the overwater portions. What's the best lounge to use in FRA before boarding my flight to ORD? Can I use the UA Intl F lounge at ORD upon my return to the States?

I'd appreciate any input, thank you!
Old Jan 30, 03, 2:22 am

The CRJ has a C Class. Donīt expext too much as flying with a CRJ is uncomfortable on any airline. You will get different food, magazines and a good assortment of beverages. On 737 and 320 a curtain divides the C and Y class section. There are only two seats on the left hand side, so you should try to get A or C.

There is a SEN lounge in CDG you can use as a *Gold (itīs in the satelite where the LH flights depart). In BCN Senators may use the JK (Spanair) lounge but Iīm not sure about UA members. Maybe someone else could help.
Old Jan 30, 03, 3:01 am

Intra-Europe C class on LH is nothing special at all. Don't expect anything beside a meal (intra-German: snack). Seating etc. is the same as beyond the curtain.
Old Jan 30, 03, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
Intra-Europe, C-class seats are (very)slightly wider than Y, with similar seat pitch (32-33"). The main difference is that on 737's and short-haul airbuses seating is 2-3, instead of 3-3 in coach. You should therefore ask for an A seat (if you want a window) or C seat (if you prefer the aisle). There is a 6-8" gap between the A and C seats which gives you a fair amount of extra space to put books, newspapers etc.

"32S" means either A319 (unlikely on BCN-FRA), A320 or A321 - they choose depending on demand. C in an A321 is nice because it is in a quieter separate forward cabin. Seating is the same 2-3 arrangement in all cases.

On the CRJ, try for the fron row as it seems to have more room. It is not so important which side of the plane you sit on here.

Generally, compared to F on US carriers you'll probably find the seating inferior but the service (esp the amount of food you get on 1-2 hour flights - snack on domestic German flights and a meal on the international legs) impressive.

LH has a very good lounge at DUS (after security), a reasonable one at CGN (before security, opposite the check in desks), they use the Spanair lounge at BCN (Spanair is owned by SAS and is joining Star as of April 1).

On the CRJ, seating is 2-2

Search this Thread