Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Going to be making frequent trips from London to Cologne - advise welcome

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond

Hi there

I am going to be making frequent trips from London to Cologne. I am with SAS Eurobonus and they give rubbish amounts of points for flying short distances with Lufthansa/Swiss, so i am going to join Miles & More.

Id ideally like to fly from London City as i live 20mins from it and im hoping to avoid Heathrow (i hate it!) I noticed there is a direct flight from LCY to Dusseldorf, but you do not collect any points as its some regional partner

Currently looking at flying to Frankfurt then getting the train to Cologne, experiences/advise is warmly welcomed
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:59 am

It won`t get you international milage but it is convenient - have a look at Germanwings (Boomarang club) Gatwick to Köln / Bonn it will depend on where you need to go in Cologne though if this will help you...

Germanwings is Lufthansas low cost carrier and has LH slots in most of European airports making them really interesting for places like Barcelona where they land at the International Airport and not at some obscure regional airport.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 5:32 am

You will get full M&M miles (and status bonus if applicable) on flights from LCY to DUS with an LH flight number operated by Contact Air (KIS).
Old Mar 30, 2007, 5:51 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
As it is LH-Regional you should also get points for EuroBonus.
The amount of the miles depends on your fare class. It can be very good (if you fly business-class you will get 2000 miles) to very poor (125 miles in the lowest booking classes in economy).
Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
As an alternative to LH:

BA do some good I class deals (restricted business class) on LHR-DUS. This is a good way of obtaining/retaining BA status, if you can book in advance. I just booked a I class return for € 280 all in.

DUS airport is connected by a train station to the long distance rail network and trains will take you to Cologne in about 25 mins.

Of course you will have to use LHR which you don not like as mentioned...
Old Mar 30, 2007, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by moeve
It won`t get you international milage but it is convenient - have a look at Germanwings (Boomarang club) Gatwick to Köln / Bonn it will depend on where you need to go in Cologne though if this will help you...
Germanwings stopped LGW-CGN some time ago, now they fly only STN-CGN. Easyjet flies LGW-CGN.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
LCY to DUS is "my" flight. Poor miles, but what can you expect for GBP 65,00 in E-Class?? I still have 25 tickets for the current year
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:55 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
LCY to DUS is "my" flight. Poor miles, but what can you expect for GBP 65,00 in E-Class?? I still have 25 tickets for the current year
Wow, you will earn 50 x 125 miles = 6250 !! So you only need 230 more flights to reach the FTL !!
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by szg
Wow, you will earn 50 x 125 miles = 6250 !! So you only need 230 more flights to reach the FTL !!
What is you aim? To fly to become FTL? Or fly from A to B the most convenient way with best value for money?

After losing HON I still earn 300k status miles per year on long distance flights and I couldn't care less about some award miles (four new T-Mobile contracts just arrived) if I get quickly and safely to where I have to go to. And 65 GBP for that route and the convenience of LCY 10 minutes away from my office is heaven if you have to travel that route frequently. And in general this fare is cheaper than the Easycans and Germanwings of this world
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:27 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
What is you aim? To fly to become FTL? Or fly from A to B the most convenient way with best value for money?

After losing HON I still earn 300k status miles per year on long distance flights and I couldn't care less about some award miles (four new T-Mobile contracts just arrived) if I get quickly and safely to where I have to go to. And 65 GBP for that route and the convenience of LCY 10 minutes away from my office is heaven if you have to travel that route frequently. And in general this fare is cheaper than the Easycans and Germanwings of this world
Yes, 65 GBP is a great offer !! I have also a customer at Cannery Wharf and LCY is the best choice for flying there. Had a great connection from SZG-ZRH-LCY. But after Styrian spirits went bankrupt they had cancelled the SZG-ZRH connection. Now LX will fly this routing from 4th June 2007 3 times a day.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I have a CGN-LHR-CGN trip coming up this autumn and was considering spending some of my remaining OZ miles on a Star upgrade.

Might sound silly but as I've almost completely switched to OW now just want to enjoy the short hop in comfort. Could the experts here advice if LH shorthaul biz gets me into fast track at CGN and LHR?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by mosburger
I have a CGN-LHR-CGN trip coming up this autumn and was considering spending some of my remaining OZ miles on a Star upgrade.

Might sound silly but as I've almost completely switched to OW now just want to enjoy the short hop in comfort. Could the experts here advice if LH shorthaul biz gets me into fast track at CGN and LHR?
A biz ticket will get you FT access at LHR, but I'm not sure that really helps you much. Still a waste on an upgrade if you ask me.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qasr
A biz ticket will get you FT access at LHR, but I'm not sure that really helps you much. Still a waste on an upgrade if you ask me.
Is there any fast track at Terminal 2? Certainly there is non at CGN (and in general no need for it).
Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7290: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120 UP.Link/6.2.3.18.0)

Definitely no fast track at LHR T2. Neither a LH business ticket nor a SEN card nor a combination of the two will change this.

SmilingBoy.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 2:28 am

In CGN, I occasionally use the *Gold/First/Business security line, normally in a glass box to the right of the main central security facility leading to the "starwalk" between terminals B and C. Usually pretty quick, just show card/boarding pass to the "guard" on the front desk.
Rgds
Marvin

Last edited by Marvin; Jun 18, 2007 at 2:31 am Reason: in CGN!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.