Lufthansa Sucks

Old Nov 6, 2002, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Location: leawood,ks,usa, dl lifetime gold,,aa lifetime gold,hyattplatinum
Lufthansa Sucks

A party of eight of us got stuck in Rome in September for three days because we were not called by Lufthansa about an Italian strike.

We were all flying business class, and were subsequently told by Lufthansa that they had NO responsibility for the fact that they didn't call us before the strike to warn us and they did not set up alternate flight schedules.

Any suggestions???

Thank you
Terry Van Der Tuuk

------------------
Old Nov 6, 2002, 11:33 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
strikes (not LH) really suck - yes.

strikes (in Italy, France, etc) are usually (I can't remember any italian strike in the last 2-3 years that wasn't officially pre-announced) announced 1-2 days in advance in all local italian papers and on TV (and more often than not) also here on FlyerTalk.

Did you leave your (Italian) tf-contact number with LH and was it in your PNR?
Old Nov 6, 2002, 4:01 pm

Location: NW Platinum, UA UGS, Hertz Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
I agree with Rudi. Did they pay for hotels or meals, ect.? If I were in that situation I would have taken a train to Frankfurt or Munich and flown back from there.
Old Nov 7, 2002, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Well, LH's business class does SUK, but their excellent F product makes up for that, and their M&More program is also excellent.

I suggest you document your case appropriately and contact your local LH sales office, Im sure they will work something out with you (after all, you were a party of 8 travelling on paid business class tickets, and LH does not chew glass).

Do let us know how this goes. Thanks.

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Nov 8, 2002, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Location: leawood,ks,usa, dl lifetime gold,,aa lifetime gold,hyattplatinum
I already contacted the customer relations manager in NYC, who wrote back telling me that they had NO responsibility.

Any other suggestions?
Thank You!!!!

------------------
Old Nov 8, 2002, 7:25 am

Programs: All the best ones.
Forget it!

You haven't provided details, but if LH was able to help you, then we customers know that it would have. If another airline was flying through the strike, why didn't you take the LH tickets to them ?

If you ask for the impossible, then no airline can be helpful.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 9:15 am

Any good business owner, as you are, will plan alternative transportation when a stike is in the horizon.

If you did business, or even if you were there on vacation,it is prudent to follow what is going on in the country while you are there. Most likely Lufthansa were hooping for a last minute cancellation of the strike.

I do not know about this particular strike, but most strikes are known way in advance so you could have left Italy BEFORE the strike begun or have planed alternative transportation.

Hopefully you took full advantage of your extended stay in Rome to enjoy the city even more.
Old Nov 9, 2002, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The strikes are usually well reported in the Italian section of the Hearld Tribune.

My experience with Italian transportation strikes is that they are run on a very precise schedule, and are seldom cancelled.
Old Nov 9, 2002, 11:27 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Agreed - LH Sucks!!! Even their first class sucks!!! Yes, it's true that they are NOT responsible for anything - that makes it a non-responsible airlines. Who would want to pay premium price to fly such an inferior airlines??!
Old Nov 10, 2002, 3:58 am

Programs: *G SPG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LHSEN:
Agreed - LH Sucks!!! Even their first class sucks!!! Yes, it's true that they are NOT responsible for anything - that makes it a non-responsible airlines. Who would want to pay premium price to fly such an inferior airlines??!</font>

Hi LHSEN!

Quite a "strong" statement.

I think we are many here who thinks that Lufthansa's firstclass is among the best in the world. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to fly CX in First yet (will in a few months) but the ones I have flow this year (around 40 segments in F) on;
BA, QF, SQ, NH, TG, UA and LH (most on LH - around 15 segments) I would say that LH is probably my favourite.

I vote for Lufthansa as one of the best airlines in the world! (their seat-pitch and seat recline in Economy are however some of the worst in the world).

Not all 45.000.000 paxs could be wrong :-)
Old Nov 10, 2002, 6:29 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I hope to God we dont now have a couple of OneWorldFan's for this LH board.....
Old Nov 10, 2002, 2:28 pm

Norway_Asia, thanks for this! This is exactly what I am thinking,too!

Tim
Old Nov 10, 2002, 6:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I agree with Norway_Asia. And I don't see how LH can be held responsible for a strike. In most businesses strikes by suppliers are considered "Force Majeure" and one wouldn't be held responsible for delivery delays suffered as a result. Why should airlines be any different?
Old Nov 14, 2002, 1:38 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
More strikes across Italy are set to disrupt travel periodically throughout November as workers in the country's air, rail, bus and ferry sectors stage walkouts.

Expect delays or cancellations on the following dates: November 1617: Train and ferry workers' strike for 24 hours. November 19: Air traffic controllers in Padova strike for 8 hours. Delays and cancellations likely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.