FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   OT Question from Talkboard: Should LH and LX forums be merged? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/673683-ot-question-talkboard-should-lh-lx-forums-merged.html)

Jenbel Mar 21, 2007 6:23 am

OT Question from Talkboard: Should LH and LX forums be merged?

Guys, the question has been asked in TB, that since LH and LX have the same FF programme now, should the current forums be merged? There is precedent - KLM/AF and HP/US have both been merged, one as a complete merger, the other eventually in a subforum set-up, where the different airlines, which operate as distinct entities, have their own subforums, with a shared parent forum for discussing the FFP. This does give us a couple of potential models along which to base any merger - or we could let the status quo continue. One thing we are aware of, following those two mergers, is that merging a board is not as simple as just joining them together, and that if the boards have very different cultures, it can be very problematic for the users.

Since you are the users on one of the boards under discussion, we would very much value your input into this question. If you have comments, it's probably best to comment directly into the discussion thread on the TB forum, since not all TB members may read the LH forum. The discussion thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673682

Thanks :) (and apologies to Kiwi for the OT and cross post, but we did want to let you know this had been raised)

RWTH Mar 21, 2007 6:33 am

Considering the history of Switzerland and mindset of Swiss residents, I assume this is a rhetorical question.... :)

flo-e Mar 21, 2007 6:38 am

I think they definitely should be merged since the LX forum isn't as active anymore and has completely become a LX and not STC forum.

flysurfer Mar 21, 2007 6:43 am

Originally Posted by RWTH (Post 7442247)
Considering the history of Switzerland and mindset of Swiss residents, I assume this is a rhetorical question.... :)

They are not as stubborn as you think. :cool: ;)

SmilingBoy Mar 21, 2007 6:56 am

I would say (and I hope I don't hurt any Swiss feelings):

Yes, the STC forum should be merged into the M&M forum.

1) Currently, even questions on OS are dealt with in the M&M forum, although OS is less integrated with LH than LX. Why should LX have its own forum then and not OS?

2) Swiss Travel Club does not exist anymore. Anybody who hasn't been following FFP history will not even know what this forum refers to.

3) Threads on LX are interesting for M&M members as the rules on LX are similar to LH, and should be expected to become increasingly aligned. This would stop us from having to monitor two forums.

4) There are quite a lot less posts in the STC forum than in the M&M forum, so integrating the two should not lead to information overload in the M&M forum.

Therefore, my suggestion: Make the current STC forum a sub-forum of the M&M forum, but close it for new threads. This would allow the history of the STC to be preserved (and discussion on historical threads to be continued) while all new issues can be discussed in the M&M forum.

On top of that it should be made clear that all threads regarding OS, LO or the smaller M&M members should be located in the M&M forum as well.

Edit: OK - just saw that I should have posted this on the TB thread...

SmilingBoy.

RWTH Mar 21, 2007 6:58 am

Originally Posted by flysurfer (Post 7442283)
They are not as stubborn as you think. :cool: ;)

Flysurfer, only because you were able to persuade the 21 year old Swiss Au-pair student into having an affair some years ago, it does not mean that the Swiss in general is not stubborn... :p :D

It is bad enough to see the once great Swiss in-flight service being lufthansanised, so please keep at least two seperate forums... ^

flysurfer Mar 21, 2007 7:37 am

Originally Posted by RWTH (Post 7442351)
Flysurfer, only because you were able to persuade the 21 year old Swiss Au-pair student into having an affair some years ago

...? :confused:

MACH81 Mar 21, 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by flysurfer (Post 7442524)
...? :confused:

I wouldn't worry if she was 21! :D :D :D

On a more serious side, I agree that LX should be merged into LH but not "a la AF/KL". The subforum is not a good idea.

SmilingBoy Mar 21, 2007 8:08 am

Originally Posted by MACH81 (Post 7442663)
On a more serious side, I agree that LX should be merged into LH but not "a la AF/KL". The subforum is not a good idea.

As I said, I believe STC should be moved to become a subforum of M&M, but no new threads should be allowed.

On historic threads, it would not make sense to have them in a LH forum as it will not always be clear from the context that the post is about LX.

SmilingBoy.

flysurfer Mar 21, 2007 8:11 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy (Post 7442705)
On historic threads, it would not make sense to have them in a LH forum as it will not always be clear from the context that the post is about LX.

They could simply be marked accordingly. No need for a subforum archive.

SmilingBoy Mar 21, 2007 8:14 am

Originally Posted by flysurfer (Post 7442724)
They could simply be marked accordingly. No need for a subforum archive.

If that is possible, I agree.

SmilingBoy.

Skyluke Mar 21, 2007 8:16 am

I dind't even know it was still existing...

LH and LX are almost the same airline and definitely the same FFP so make a lot of sense^

totti Mar 21, 2007 9:04 am

I vote for the merger as well, as it would be a win-win situation. The LX forum isn't that active and most (nearly all) M&M issues are discussed in the M&M forum anyway and the LH/M&M forum would profit form some valuable input of fellow LX travellers.

BTW I'd prefer a single forum without any subforums!

Cheers
totti

QMConsultant Mar 21, 2007 9:06 am

^ YES, PLEASE - it would save me quite some time - only check one forum instead of two.

Jenbel Mar 21, 2007 9:19 am

Lots of interesting points being made - just a reminder, that to have the best chance of TB hearing them, please also post onto the discussion thread on the TB forum :)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673682