Search

Award miles disparity

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2002, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All the best ones.
Award miles disparity

Thanks for the replies.

You can make economic arguments for flight prices, and I don't believe any, if only a fraction of passengers pay a full C fare out of their own pockets!

Also the lack of oppertunity to fly with LH makes an excellent case for the lower SEN threshold - also for stealing high-spending foreign FF from other airlines!

I don't accept that M&M is generous, UA MP gives 200% bonus for its SEN equivalent. In most cases you are at 75% better off using their FF card (200% -125% bonus miles).

OK, so if LH is trying to match MP awards, why then doesn't it match it for everything?
(Hopefully it won't start matching UA for quality of service, UA staff regularly tell me their real purpose is to snag a millionaire.)

We all know LH is the best airline, but I'm sure all we M&M members would be much happier if the awards were adjusted to US levels.

Thanks very much

[This message has been edited by Peter M (edited 06-18-2002).]
Old Jun 17, 2002, 3:59 pm

That's the Miles&More rules we all know ...

There are other differences, like :
- 150,000 miles to qualify to Senator for german members
- only 100,000 for other members.

etc. etc.

Old Jun 17, 2002, 4:42 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Peter M:
Am I the only person to find the disparity in miles needed for award flights upsetting ? I'm travelling from Europe to the USA and it's costing me 105,000 miles, whereas the same trip starting from the USA costs only 80,000 miles.

An upgrade is also 35,000 miles for Europeans, versus 20,000 for US residents per transatlantic flight.

LH don't accept one way bookings, if you have solutions I'd like to hear them.
</font>

In the US LH is basically matching Mileage Plus in terms of redemtptions (It's actually cheaper using LH miles than Ua miles on many routes if you are on an H or M fare); while it is far more generous with giving out miles.

AFAIK there's no rule about back to back ticketing of award tix. Thus just book a one year C return (this is what you booking right?) ex-D; then "move" to the US. Cheaper upgrades, and you can back to back award tickets.

Regards,
Alex
Old Jun 17, 2002, 5:59 pm

Programs: LH/BA/DL
Actually the opposite is true for trans-atlantic tickets in paid C and F (and Y to some extent). E.g., full fare C class tickets are 50% less in Germany. Also C specials are better from Germany and even better from other European countries. So if you fly more than once a year, it might be better to start the roundtrips in Germany (and btw, upgrades are still only 20,000 miles for US members).

I think the price difference is more upsetting than the cost of awards.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 2:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Greg45:
Actually the opposite is true for trans-atlantic tickets in paid C and F (and Y to some extent). E.g., full fare C class tickets are 50% less in Germany. Also C specials are better from Germany and even better from other European countries. So if you fly more than once a year, it might be better to start the roundtrips in Germany (and btw, upgrades are still only 20,000 miles for US members).

I think the price difference is more upsetting than the cost of awards.
</font>
Why didn't I think of that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.