HON Status

Old May 14, 01, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-CK, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
HON Status

Does HON status still exist? Who gets it? What are the benefits?
Old May 14, 01, 9:06 am

I didn't hear anything about HON in the last years, except something I read a few monthes ago about reactivating it for people mostly flying (paid) F .
But, sorry, no confirmation of this.
Old May 14, 01, 12:00 pm

I know for a fact that a friend of mine has it. He is however the ceo of a major corporation. It helps him a lot. In one incident there were no seats left on the plane, so they put him into the cockpit, after he showed them his card...
Old May 14, 01, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
The last thing I knew about this was published in Der Spiegel magazine. I think it was something like a re-launch of the HON status to a semi-published benefit, and that qualification would be for the super fflyers that do over 400K flight miles per year.

Perhaps Bernie, Mizu and/or Rudi can elaborate?
Old May 14, 01, 2:43 pm

When I was still travelling Lufthansa a lot (until end of 1999), at some point the imprint on my boarding pass changed from "SEN" to "HON". However, I never received any HON card or other notification.
Out of curiosity I once asked a LH employee (Senator phone line) if my membership status had really changed. She could not find anything in my file but said that it clearly showed me as a Senator. So why my boarding passes showed "HON" is still a mystery to me. BTW: On a recent trip on LH I was a "SEN" again.
Old May 14, 01, 4:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Merry, a 'first day' FlierTalker here on our board (still posting from time to time here), became an invited HON two years ago (because of his professional position) but said/reported that he didn't see any major difference to the 'normal' Senator status benfits.
Old May 15, 01, 1:18 am

Rudi, not only do I still post from time to time, but I also read...

Hons still exists and mine is renewed on an annual basis.

I have heard lots of stories about people getting fantastic benefits as a Hons member, but in reality my experience is that there is no difference between Hons ans Senator.

I can't tell you any amazing stories or perks. Infact on occassion I think Hons are treated worse than Senators (sometimes there is an attitude of you have not earned your status by flying with us).

For comparative reasons, I also have the following inviation level memberships:

- Aer Lingus (Honorary Elite)
- Air France (Club 2000)
- British Airways (Premier)
- Cathay Pacific (Inviation)
- Finnair (Club VIP)
- KLM (Captains Club)
- Lan Chile (Comodoro)
- Quantas (Chairmans Lounge)

In my experience the only ones worth having are: BA and Cathay. (Can't say anything about KLM as I only got the invite last week). The others are just comped versions of their top-elite status.

Nick
Old May 15, 01, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-CK, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Merry,

Thanks for replying! Based on your experience it doesn't sound like HON is something worth waiting for or attaining. My original reason for asking the question is that I qualified as SEN in March (I know I should have waited one more month) and since that time have added another 200K to my account and was curious if LH had anything better to offer. At least requalification won't be an issue!
Old May 15, 01, 5:21 am

Mikefly: I know there has been some press speculation, but to the best of my knowledge (although I could be wrong, as I don't care that much!) Hons does not have any miles based qualification criteria.

Altough very high level flyers can be granted Hons, but they need to just about always fly best available class of travel (a few exceptions are OK); be consistently frequent with LH (LH talked about over a ten year period) and be well established in their profession (it doesn't do to have the IT Manager of ABC Industries as Hons and upset the Chairman).

Of course, I did not qualify on any of these basis, but simply manage a corporate deal with LH. You upset me an I take away $10m+ of business always focuses an airlines attention - if they know you really have the clout to do it, and not just talk about it!

Nick
Old May 15, 01, 4:01 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Which answers my question about what merry does for a living to be a LH hon and BA Prem.

Jon
Old May 15, 01, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Hi Merry.... cool benefit you get from the airlines, I guess its part of what you do at work. I guess many of us (I include my humble self) are lucky to get all the perks out of our business travel, but clearly, some are more equal (lucky) than others...

To paraphrase my buddy Rudi: Im sooooooooo jealous !!!!

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Old May 16, 01, 4:45 am

A friend of mine told me that her father is a HON. He is a member of the German Parliament and he said that all members would get this tier for 4 years and if they´re reelected their membership will be renewed. So join a party and get elected into the Bundestag and get HON status without leaving the ground once.
Old May 16, 01, 5:30 am

Now, I understand why people want to become Bundestag members
Old May 16, 01, 5:33 am

As a general rule all German members of parliament; German MEPs and the CEO's of the top 200 German companies get Hons.

Nick
Old Jun 13, 01, 8:11 am

Hi,

I just wanted to stress that there is infact no difference at all between a SEN and a HON

Years ago a HON was appointed and had the same benefits as a SEN

LH stopped these appointments and now the HONs are dying out.

In the near future a new status above the SEN
will be anounced because LH has agreed that there are far to much SENs.

By the way, Merry you are the one and only Frequent flyer

greeting

senatorservice

[This message has been edited by senatorservice (edited 06-13-2001).]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: