Wiki Posts
Search

Connection in DUS [merged DUS Q&A thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by BernardBlack
Hi there,

My family will be passing through DUS in May.

We'll be arriving from SIN on SQ, with luggage. Most will be departing to DUB on EI, with luggage, but a separate reservation. One person will be likely staying in Germany, either flying to TXL or possibly traveling by train.

SIN-DUS-DUB is nonSchengen-to-nonSchengen, but bags will not be checked through and SQ and EI are at separate ends of the airport. Will we have to clear immigration to recheck our bags and then emigration to depart? Or can we collect and recheck bags, and transfer airside somehow, wholly in the nonSchengen zone?

For SIN-DUS-TXL, that person would need to clear Schengen immigration. They then presumably can recheck bags for the domestic flight with no problem?
Unfortunately, your analysis of the situation is perfectly correct. As you'll have to collect your bags (and because there is no non-Schengen to non-Schengen airside transfer between concourses A, B and C), there's no way around immigrating into Schengen (this will already happen in the middle of concourse A, as there is only one level, and the far end is non-Schengen while the base is Schengen), going down to collect your luggage, then go up one level and walk to the EI check-in counter. I have no idea where EI check in, nor whether your connection will depart from concourse B or C. However, in a worst case scenario, the time needed for walking will be approximately 10 minutes, plus the time you'll have to spend waiting for security check (which is usually longest in concourse B). If you have ar least 90 minutes connecting time, you should be fine.

Just a general note on the schengen/non-Schengen layout of DUS: all transfer corridors between concourses are located within Schengen (at the base of each concourse). Concourse A only has one level, the root part with the LH lounges is Schengen, the remote end is non-Schengen. Concourse B has two levels, the lower level is entirely non-Schengen, the upper level is Schengen (including the lounges), with a few gates that can also be used for non-Schengen departures (passport check at the gate), and concourse C, again a single-level concourse, is entirely non-Schengen.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by bruce80
Unfortunately, your analysis of the situation is perfectly correct. As you'll have to collect your bags (and because there is no non-Schengen to non-Schengen airside transfer between concourses A, B and C), there's no way around immigrating into Schengen (this will already happen in the middle of concourse A, as there is only one level, and the far end is non-Schengen while the base is Schengen), going down to collect your luggage, then go up one level and walk to the EI check-in counter. I have no idea where EI check in, nor whether your connection will depart from concourse B or C. However, in a worst case scenario, the time needed for walking will be approximately 10 minutes, plus the time you'll have to spend waiting for security check (which is usually longest in concourse B). If you have ar least 90 minutes connecting time, you should be fine.

Just a general note on the schengen/non-Schengen layout of DUS: all transfer corridors between concourses are located within Schengen (at the base of each concourse). Concourse A only has one level, the root part with the LH lounges is Schengen, the remote end is non-Schengen. Concourse B has two levels, the lower level is entirely non-Schengen, the upper level is Schengen (including the lounges), with a few gates that can also be used for non-Schengen departures (passport check at the gate), and concourse C, again a single-level concourse, is entirely non-Schengen.
Thanks for the detailed response. It's very helpful.

We'll have four hours between SQ arrival and EI departure, so timing shouldn't be a problem. EI departs from C, apparently, but I gather the AirBerlin lounge there is not great and I'm better off using the Hugi Junkers lounge in B? (I have Priority Pass to access both.) Can I clear security to B, then outward passport control to C after spending time in the lounge?

Also, the SQ arrival will be in business class. Would I qualify for any LH lounge on arrival?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:47 am

Can I clear security to B, then outward passport control to C after spending time in the lounge?
You can. However, I have only been to the Hugo Junkers Lounge, never to the AirBerlin Lounge. The Junkers Lounge is ok, but a typical contract lounge, so don't expect too much. Anyway, I guess the Emirates Lounge is the only really good lounge at DUS (including both LH lounges which belong to the usual mediocre stuff LH usually present).

Also, the SQ arrival will be in business class. Would I qualify for any LH lounge on arrival?
Unfortunately not.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:06 pm

Thanks again.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
I have a 50 minute connection (single ticket) DL-SU at DUS next February. It appears DL arrives into A, while Aeroflot departs from C. I have a US passport, and it sounds like the fastest way to move is to 1) Clear Schengen at A; walk the terminal hallway from A to C; 3) leave Schengen and re-clear security at C, correct?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
I have a 50 minute connection (single ticket) DL-SU at DUS next February. It appears DL arrives into A, while Aeroflot departs from C. I have a US passport, and it sounds like the fastest way to move is to 1) Clear Schengen at A; walk the terminal hallway from A to C; 3) leave Schengen and re-clear security at C, correct?
If your Delta flight will actually arrive in A (which I somehow doubt, but I dont have any other information), the process is basically correct. However, you can also take the airside connection walkway from A to C (via B), which will save you another security screening (unless you‘ll have to clear transit security in A, which will take place on the floor above the main concourse and which will drop you right into concourse A next to the entrance to the LH lounges). The entire thing seems to be doable in 50 minutes (particularly if you don‘t have to clear security), but it very much depends on the length of the queues at immigration, which you will have to pass twice (no matter what - there is no non-schengen transfer between concourses).
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: LH FTL; A3*Gold
I have a 1:25 connection in DUS flying from WAW on LO catching SQ to SIN (one ticket). Both flights are at terminal A. The airport website states that I need to clear security while connecting. Is that correct? Shall I expect long queues for the passport control? I am a bit nervous about the connection time as LO is routinely 20 minutes late. Thanks.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Originally Posted by AVSA
I have a 1:25 connection in DUS flying from WAW on LO catching SQ to SIN (one ticket). Both flights are at terminal A. The airport website states that I need to clear security while connecting. Is that correct? Shall I expect long queues for the passport control? I am a bit nervous about the connection time as LO is routinely 20 minutes late. Thanks.
You just have to do the passport control and no security. I've never seen long lines at the passport control inside Terminal A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.