Search

May I see your SEN card please?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:16 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
May I see your SEN card please?

Ok, I have a question.... Why do some LH lounge agents insist on seeing the Senator card when I show my boarding pass that has my SEN printed on it?

I have taken about 12 LH flights in the last months (most intra-European), and have noticed that this request to see the SEN card when entering the SEN Lounge. It doesnt happen all the time, but it's getting more common at the smaller airports in Germany (Bremen, Dus, Leipzig)?

Last edited by ACfly; Dec 2, 2006 at 10:21 am
Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: LH Sen
This also happens to me sometimes.
Once I asked the lounge warden what the reason is and she replied that at the check-in the agents can put every status on the boarding pass without any problems. That might be possible but which agent does this? I don't think that they write HON on my boarding pass when I would ask for it.
Besides this assuming you're check in at the quick checkin counters? Is not possible at all doing this.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
It normally starts end February when people loose status.

But: There might be a different reason. In general, the SEN/HON on the BP only gives evendence that a SEN/HON number was entered when booking. Could be yours, could be somebody else's. Furthermore: If I buy a ticket for my Dad with my HON CC and he uses the CC as ID (as it is suggested by LH) my Dad receives a BP with HON printed on it. IF, ONLY IF, a lounge agent checks Card and BP it would become obvious that Daddy Lawyer holding this BP is not Flying Lawyer holding the Card.

I personally never ever show a BP in a SEN lounge but just show (wave) my card (In TXL quite frequently before boarding a DI/AB flight) .
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:53 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Another reason I was told by an agent is that people have tried to bypass "one guest only rule" by borrowing the card to somebody else i.e. they entered with the BP and one guest and the person with the borrowed card entered independantly (potentially bringing another guest.....)

Cheers, S
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent idea
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: black is magic
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
Another reason I was told by an agent is that people have tried to bypass "one guest only rule" by borrowing the card to somebody else i.e. they entered with the BP and one guest and the person with the borrowed card entered independantly (potentially bringing another guest.....)
MUC Do comes into mind
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:55 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN

Cheers, S
Thanks for the response.. I still do not understand how this works - if the other person with the borrowed card entered the lounge, would the lounge warden not see the card and match it to the BP and would find a mismatch?

What is perplexing is that not all lounge agents ask to see the card. I.e. I have not been asked for the card at FRA so far, but for the other German airports, it's a hit and miss..

Does anyone know if it is a policy that is at the discretion of the Lounge agent or system wide, and some lounges are being lazy?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:03 pm

Programs: LX Sen, SQ PPS
There is one reason to show the card that I know of.

If you are flying economy class and enter the lounge based on your Senator status, the airline that issued the Senator card will be charged for it. So asking the for the card serves to identify if you are a LH, LX, or OS Senator.

Cheers,

PL

Last edited by Pocoloco; Dec 2, 2006 at 1:09 pm
Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACfly
Thanks for the response.. I still do not understand how this works - if the other person with the borrowed card entered the lounge, would the lounge warden not see the card and match it to the BP and would find a mismatch?

What is perplexing is that not all lounge agents ask to see the card. I.e. I have not been asked for the card at FRA so far, but for the other German airports, it's a hit and miss..

Does anyone know if it is a policy that is at the discretion of the Lounge agent or system wide, and some lounges are being lazy?
As SEN and HON you do not need to show/have a boarding pass. Given that, the lounge agent will certainly not match it to the BP.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:36 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
my experience is the other way round - whenever i show the boarding pass only i may enter (except the ZRH LX business lounge). if i show the sen-card only, about 40% i am asked to show the boardingpass too (as reason they tell me the lounges are departure lounges and i am only entitled to enter when i am going to depart from this airport on the same day (no matter which airline)... )
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a published benefit that SENs are entitled to lounge access as follows:

"Senator and Star Gold lounges (6)"

Only Star Gold lounges bear certain restrictions: "Access to Star Gold Lounges on the day and at the place of departure, on presentation of a valid boarding card."

SEN lounges are - of course - arrival lounges, but for SENs and HONs only and NOT for Star Golds or FTLs. With FTLs in FTL lounges is is different, too: "Access on the day and at the place of departure, on presentation of a valid boarding card."
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:11 pm

Programs: LH, BA, DL
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
SEN lounges are - of course - arrival lounges, but for SENs and HONs only and NOT for Star Golds or FTLs. [/I]
To be specific: LH SEN lounges - no other lounges that confuse pax by calling themselves SEN lounges (OS!).
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
if i show the sen-card only, about 40% i am asked to show the boardingpass too (as reason they tell me the lounges are departure lounges and i am only entitled to enter when i am going to depart from this airport on the same day (no matter which airline)... )
Same experience about 50% of the time except, in 100% of those situations I refuse to show the BP and 100% of the time, they back down. I consider it on-the-job training, for one warden at a time.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:22 pm

Programs: LH, BA, DL
Originally Posted by Grog
Same experience about 50% of the time except, in 100% of those situations I refuse to show the BP and 100% of the time, they back down. I consider it on-the-job training, for one warden at a time.
I guess that, technically, they could ask for some form of ID (passport, ID card) - although that never happened to me yet. As you say, no reason to ask for a BP.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
As SEN and HON you do not need to show/have a boarding pass. Given that, the lounge agent will certainly not match it to the BP.
and
It is a published benefit that SENs are entitled to lounge access as follows:

"Senator and Star Gold lounges (6)"...
Both true but not applicable @ FRAnkenstein airport. I try to get in every single
time without showing my BP. Normally, I succeed in running over the the gel haired
bellhop at the entrance of the SEN lounge but never (and I mean never ever)
make it past one of moat dragons. The last time I tried - by showing them
the printout for so long until they kicked me out of the lounge. Wrote an offensive
letter to LH but do not expect a response matching the issue. I reckon that
it will be along the line "sometimes a particular lounge maybe overcrowded"..,
Ok, enough ranting but flying via FRA always amounts to a near heart attack
experience for me. And while the lounges are great, the Cerberi are not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.