long haul cash upgrade at gate? [merged]

Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by peregrin
From reading these posts it seems as if the more affordable option for upgrading from economy to business is not to take advantage of paid upgrades proffered when checking in online or at a kiosk but to wait and ask to purchase an upgrade once on board. I never even knew this option existed until now. How would one go about requesting this? Would one wait until after take-off when things have quieted down or make the request when walking on board? I will be flying MCO to FRA on Lufthansa.

Thank you for any insight you are willing to share.
As far I know, LH never had option to upgrade on board. Only Swiss provides/d this option.
Sometimes (in my case extremely rarely, only twice in 20 years, didn't happen in last 7-8 years) check-in staff offers cash upgrades for 500USD.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:20 pm

Volta, thank you for your quick and informative reply.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Swiss and Austrian only offer the buy on board upgrade.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Swiss and Austrian only offer the buy on board upgrade.
How often?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by mmff
How often?
You have to ask the purser, but as far I heard, if there is space, they are happy to sell the upgrade
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: LX SEN
Hi all,

Does anyone have an idea on the booking class that you would be attributed on a LH long haul gate cash upgrade into C?

When I did it about 1 year ago with LX, I ended up in D.

Regards
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

No change in your ticket, the system treats it as a reseating in a different service class against payment. So no extra miles.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: LX SEN
thanks! So in certain cases, an upgrade made beforehand will increase the mileage obtained, while a gate upgrade on LH will never lead to a mileage increase.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:06 am

Yes, myoffer bid and cash online upgrade reissue the ticket in a new booking class, online checkin, airport and gate upgrade don't.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Another data point:

SFO-FRA, inquired at the gate, from N to J -> $780, took it.
As expected (and thankfully), received mileage credit for N.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: KF*G, AB*G, IBP*G, LCAH*Plat, HH*D, ONYX*Plat, BW*DS
Does anyone have any experience with upgrades from G/E/N to C for SIN-FRA? I only saw data points from Y to C...

I am currently booked in N for both SIN-FRA and FRA-SIN and am wondering whether I should go for:
  1. Instant upgrade via myBooking for 1060 SGD
  2. myOffer bid at a minimum of 650 USD ~ 880 SGD (load is okay, could imagine they accept low bid)
  3. Ask at check-in/gate but no data point here for comparison. And of course accept N accrual only.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:21 am

Take option 1, which will result in a new booking class. 2 & 3 are highly unlikely to/from SIN.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: KF*G, AB*G, IBP*G, LCAH*Plat, HH*D, ONYX*Plat, BW*DS
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Take option 1, which will result in a new booking class. 2 & 3 are highly unlikely to/from SIN.
Sorry to cross-post, but considering the relatively low load on my scheduled flight, do you think that 2&3 are that unlikely or are you saying that these options are generally not possible out of SIN? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29196155-post335.html)

Also, option 2 should also result in a new booking class if I read correctly in the previous posts, correct?

What I was not able to find out is when the time window will close for the instant upgrade? So, I am planning to make a minimum or close-to-minimum bid. If not accepted, I would go for the instant upgrade. But since the bids are only confirmed within 24 hours before the flight, will I still have the option to buy the instant upgrade?

Scheduled flight is LH779 on 23/12 (2 days from now), so I would appreciate any knowledgeable input from our experts here!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:21 am

Instant upgrade closes the moment the booking class is no longer available which should be any moment...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:25 am

Flying on Feb 26, YVR-FRA, eco-premium (class N), ticket bought and issued through AC (LH operated with AC codeshare) : do anyone know if LH ususally offer cash upgrade at check-in or gate at YVR ? if so, what is the usual upgrade price ?
Since booking class N is unupgradeble with miles, are theere any restricition for cash upgrades ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.