Check-in by phone or web without Form of Identification in E-Ticket

Old Oct 8, 06, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Check-in by phone or web without Form of Identification in E-Ticket

Hi,

Walked into a wierd problem today; flying frequently with LH I try to check-in as early as possible to get as low a boarding number as possible (as my theory is that it helps on upgrades...). Up until now my TA has issued e-tickets with my LH M&M number in the FOID (Form of Identification) field in the e-ticket. The M&M number is in the FQTV field as always.

The last few weeks the FOID field has been absent, and I have been unable to check-in online or by phone when the check-in is handled by LH. When the check-in is handled by SK I am able to check-in online.

It seems like the SK check-in procedure scans both FQTV and FOID fields for a match, whereas LH scans only FOID, and when absent it denies check-in other than at the counter. Anyone else experiencing this?

I guess it adds to the problem that the ticket is an SK ticket (117 stock) with all bookings made on the SK code shares, but all flights operated by LH. But as it used to work it is still a bit strange...
Old Oct 8, 06, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; QF VA CI KL KE
Originally Posted by larsll
Walked into a wierd problem today; ... Up until now my TA has issued e-tickets with my LH M&M number in the FOID (Form of Identification) field in the e-ticket. The M&M number is in the FQTV field as always.
This is useful info for me. I have had LH bookings with my UA MP no in FOID field but left out of FQTV field and had missing mileage credit problems which took a long time to resolve. Another thing to put on my check list: make sure no is in both fields
Old Oct 8, 06, 3:36 pm

Up until now my TA has issued e-tickets with my LH M&M number in the FOID (Form of Identification) field in the e-ticket. The M&M number is in the FQTV field as always.
How can you find out what (if anything) is in these fields? I did not know that both existed until talking at length to an agent in a Business Lounge. Is there a way of checking the content of the fields on line (if you know things like Amadeus RL, ticket number and LH 5 digit RL)? I have paper tickets on LH stock which include in the airline field a viewtrip RL (Galileo), followed by
"/1G B". What do these letters mean? When I look into the itinerary via viewtrip under Flight Service Information + I can see my UA MP no in the UA legs, but not the LH legs. Does that mean it is missing from some parts of the LH segments of the booking
Old Oct 8, 06, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bnebased
I have paper tickets on LH stock which include in the airline field a viewtrip RL (Galileo), followed by
"/1G B". What do these letters mean? When I look into the itinerary via viewtrip under Flight Service Information + I can see my UA MP no in the UA legs, but not the LH legs. Does that mean it is missing from some parts of the LH segments of the booking
The /1G means it is a Galileo reference, and not a Amadeus (/1A) or someone elses.

If a reservation has multiple different airlines there needs to be one FQTV entry per airline, e.g. FQTV UA UAxxxxxx and FQTV LH UAxxxxxx where UAxxxxx is your MP number prefixed by the letters UA. In effect this means "For UA flights please use UA's frequent traveller programme, member number xxxxxx" and "For LH flights please use UA's frequent traveller programme, member number xxxxxx". It might seem obvious that you want to use the same number for all flights, but if you have a combined fare with two different airlines whose frequent traveller programmes does not cooperate it is necessary to be able to add a line per airline.

The FOID field on the other hand applies per e-ticket (it does not apply to paper tickets), and AFAIK you can have multiple entries on each ticket. It essentially means "to use this ticket the person who wants to travel has to show the following document(s)", where document can be "Passport", "Driver's License", number of credit card used to pay ticket, or a frequent traveller membership number of a partner airline.

FOID and FQTV are not related, but it is very common that your frequent traveller number of choice is added to both fields, and certain airlines (e.g. SK) will check the FQTV field if FOID is missing (and possibly also the other way around).
Old Oct 8, 06, 4:50 pm

... If a reservation has multiple different airlines there needs to be one FQTV entry per airline,...

The FOID field on the other hand applies per e-ticket (it does not apply to paper tickets)...
Thank you for the clear and comprehensive answers. I guess part of my confusion has come from the fact that my earlier UA/LH combo itineraries were e-tickets, but my more recent ones (flying soon) are on paper. Why the newer ones seem to have gone backwards technology-wise is another

Search this Thread