FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Problem to skip last leg ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/601680-problem-skip-last-leg.html)

marcydarcy Sep 14, 2006 7:57 am

Problem to skip last leg ?

Hi guys,

i am booked on BRU-MUC-HKG-FRA-BRU.

I want to skip the last leg to BRU. I ve never done that before but i guess it's not a problem? Is it enough to tell the guys in HKG to route my lugguage to FRA only ? thanks for your help

Hamburger Sep 14, 2006 8:08 am

No problem at all. Done that many times exactly as you described.

marcydarcy Sep 14, 2006 8:17 am

thanks !

ulev Sep 14, 2006 8:26 am

Don't forget to have the tax refunded for the last leg. With the fuel surcharges included it's very well worth it.

Rambuster Sep 14, 2006 8:33 am

Originally Posted by ulev
Don't forget to have the tax refunded for the last leg. With the fuel surcharges included it's very well worth it.

Can you really claim back this tax without showing up on their LH's fare police radar ?

I have skipped many last segments but have always just done a "no show".

totti Sep 14, 2006 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Can you really claim back this tax without showing up on their LH's fare police radar ?

I have skipped many last segments but have always just done a "no show".

same here. I have done a "no show" a couple of times but I never claimed back any tax. I always thought that this won't work. Probably the black card makes the difference her!?

f0zzyNUE Sep 14, 2006 9:10 am

never ever had problems with something like that ???

LH terms & conditions 3.3.3.
Should you change your transportation without our agreement, we will assess the correct price for your actual travel. You will have to pay any difference between the price you have paid and the total price applicable for your revised transportation. We will refund you the difference if the new price is lower but otherwise, your unused coupons have no value.

Rambuster Sep 14, 2006 9:29 am

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
never ever had problems with something like that ???

Should you change your transportation without our agreement, we will assess the correct price for your actual travel. You will have to pay any difference between the price you have paid and the total price applicable for your revised transportation. We will refund you the difference if the new price is lower but otherwise, your unused coupons have no value.

Yes, this is what I am afraid of. According to this, the price could go up or down. We should not assume that by not taking one segment the price will go down.

Just think of the ex-CAI F fares compared to ex-Germany....

ottone Sep 14, 2006 10:45 am

Originally Posted by marcydarcy
Hi guys,

i am booked on BRU-MUC-HKG-FRA-BRU.

I want to skip the last leg to BRU. I ve never done that before but i guess it's not a problem? Is it enough to tell the guys in HKG to route my lugguage to FRA only ? thanks for your help

The only issue you might have is that if your fare doesn't allow a stopover in FRA the agent may not be able to check your luggage only to FRA. I had this happen to me once for a ORD-FRA-BLQ flight where I wanted to stop in FRA and skip the last leg (I was on Q fare in economy). The agent said the system would not allow him to check the bags only to FRA, and that I would have to upgrade my fare to B (!!!) if I wanted to do that. I insisted that since I had a very long connecting time in FRA it was my right to claim my bags, which contained material I needed for a meeting, and re-check them in the evening in FRA for the last leg. Eventually he talked to a supervisor and allowed me to do it, but it wasn't as straightforward as I might have expected.

fradoc Sep 14, 2006 11:09 am

Yes, this is what I am afraid of. According to this, the price could go up or down. We should not assume that by not taking one segment the price will go down.

...or of ex-BRU Z fares ;)

fradoc Sep 14, 2006 11:13 am

Does that also apply to end-on-end constructions where end-on-end is not permitted?

ulev Sep 14, 2006 11:28 am

They have no way to enforce this and they never really try (so far). They do refuse the refund of taxes sometimes based on this part of the terms and conditions but there are several ways to challenge that too.

We have this kind of discussion here again and again. Many sections of the LH terms and conditions are at least dubious in connection with German law.

The best way to do it: Extend the transfer as close as possible to the 24 hours allowed. That gives you enough legitimate reason to retrieve your luggage, but you don't need such a reason. They cannot refuse to hand over your luggage at your request. Even if it was checked through originally they have to retrieve it for you. It is yours!

Next, nobody can punish you for missing a connecting flight for what ever reason, not even LH. And typically your fare rules won't allow you to change at no cost to a later flight. Voila....

And the taxes don't belong to LH, so they have to refund them on request.

Is that simple enough?

ulev Sep 14, 2006 11:35 am

Originally Posted by ottone
The only issue you might have is that if your fare doesn't allow a stopover in FRA the agent may not be able to check your luggage only to FRA. I had this happen to me once for a ORD-FRA-BLQ flight where I wanted to stop in FRA and skip the last leg (I was on Q fare in economy). The agent said the system would not allow him to check the bags only to FRA, and that I would have to upgrade my fare to B (!!!) if I wanted to do that. I insisted that since I had a very long connecting time in FRA it was my right to claim my bags, which contained material I needed for a meeting, and re-check them in the evening in FRA for the last leg. Eventually he talked to a supervisor and allowed me to do it, but it wasn't as straightforward as I might have expected.

The agent is always able to do it. Some just don't know how to. That's the real issue, they just argue differently.

If they argue the system doesn't allow it tell them to write the luggage tag manually.

Rambuster Sep 14, 2006 11:47 am

They have no way to enforce this and they never really try (so far). They do refuse the refund of taxes sometimes based on this part of the terms and conditions but there are several ways to challenge that too.

We have this kind of discussion here again and again. Many sections of the LH terms and conditions are at least dubious in connection with German law.

The best way to do it: Extend the transfer as close as possible to the 24 hours allowed. That gives you enough legitimate reason to retrieve your luggage, but you don't need such a reason. They cannot refuse to hand over your luggage at your request. Even if it was checked through originally they have to retrieve it for you. It is yours!

Next, nobody can punish you for missing a connecting flight for what ever reason, not even LH. And typically your fare rules won't allow you to change at no cost to a later flight. Voila....

Is that simple enough?

Simple enough ! Although the manual luggage retrieval will undoubtably take some time....

I have 16 hours in FRA before my connection to the flight I don't want. This should be enough of a legit reason to want my luggage in FRA.

Your tipp on asking them to write a manual luggage tag is great ! :D

totti Sep 15, 2006 4:26 am

Is that simple enough?

Thanks for the information ulev ^ Will request tax refund next time I need to or want to skip the last segment on a non flex ticket. :)