The Truth About Priority Tagging

Old Sep 4, 06, 11:14 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Travelling the skies over Europe
Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,819
The Truth About Priority Tagging

All,

Today I flew NCE-MUC-OSL - as usual. As usual I had a priority tag attached to my bag at check-in in NCE (I even got an op-up ). Arriving at OSL my suitcase looked like this:

http://www.ludvig.no/files/honest_tagging.jpg

My reaction was part amusement, part annoyed, as this clearly shows how much the red priority tag is worth. I am sure the baggage handler must have had a ball attaching his "Last Baggage" tag on a bag with "Priority". (And yes, it came out last...)

Probably should write a letter of complaint...
larsll is offline  
Old Sep 4, 06, 11:22 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: A Sight For Roll Eyes
Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Posts: 5,461
"Hot": The "coolest" oxymoron in years!
andre1970 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 06, 11:47 am
  #3  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,063
HOT or RUSH is usually attached when the connection is tight and the baggage handler has spotted a bag that either has missed a connection or is about to miss its connection. How much time did you have in MUC?

Last bag is usually the tag put on the last piece to be sent from the MUC baggage handling center to an aircraft on the remote field. The handlers remove that tag before loading it, in your case they must have missed it...
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 06, 11:57 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Travelling the skies over Europe
Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,819
Originally Posted by oliver2002
HOT or RUSH is usually attached when the connection is tight and the baggage handler has spotted a bag that either has missed a connection or is about to miss its connection. How much time did you have in MUC?

Last bag is usually the tag put on the last piece to be sent from the MUC baggage handling center to an aircraft on the remote field. The handlers remove that tag before loading it, in your case they must have missed it...
HOT is easy. You get it if you have between 30 minutes and I believe 1 hour connection time. Bags are handled separately from the rest of the bags.

Last bag is "cuter". I guess your explanation is right. To me it looked more like an instruction to the baggage handlers at OSL.
larsll is offline  
Old Sep 4, 06, 12:51 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by larsll
To me it looked more like an instruction to the baggage handlers at OSL.
Perhaps your bag came out of the aircraft as one of the first at OSL (might well have been, as it was the last loaded), and he just thought he was doing his job.

You never know..
view is offline  
Old Sep 4, 06, 2:28 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 55
Usually I experience problems with priority tagging at airports which are not a "star alliance hub". It seems the ground handling companies just dont care.

(even my Hon-Priority tagged bag after flying F was the last one one the carousel once ;-)
marco_polo73 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 06, 2:41 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BKK & Seat 2A
Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Posts: 9,387
Nice Photo

But really, I guess it was handled correctly on departing 1st leg and on arrival the ramp agent thought "OK this bag at last"

skywalkerLAX is offline  
Old Sep 5, 06, 1:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: US
Programs: LH and BA
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by larsll
HOT is easy. You get it if you have between 30 minutes and I believe 1 hour connection time. Bags are handled separately from the rest of the bags.

Last bag is "cuter". I guess your explanation is right. To me it looked more like an instruction to the baggage handlers at OSL.
Or you have 15 hrs layover nad the computer insists that you need a HOT tag !
roundtheworld is offline  
Old Sep 6, 06, 12:47 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nairobi
Programs: EK Platinum, QR Gold, LH Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Posts: 175
Unhappy Priority...NOT!

Originally Posted by marco_polo73
Usually I experience problems with priority tagging at airports which are not a "star alliance hub". It seems the ground handling companies just dont care.

(even my Hon-Priority tagged bag after flying F was the last one one the carousel once ;-)
I too had the same experience. Flew JNB-FRA-BOS, all in First. When I arrived in BOS, my bag was the very, VERY last off the carousel!
Tanzguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread