Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early check in - late boarding -- op up

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Early check in - late boarding -- op up

Apologize for starting a new thread as I have seen this somewhere before but multiple searches failed to identify the thread regarding the advantages of late boarding.

Flying from FRA to YYZ on LH 747 with a discounted C ticket. Attempted to check in at 17:00 day prior at the airport machine -- no luck, 04:35 at the airport machine (what a night, I was staying at the Sheraton FRA) -- no luck, and finally the next morning at 10:30 with no success where I had to speak with an agent to check in. Arrived at the gate from the Senator's Club just post 12:20 boarding time. Two huge lines to enter the boarding area and no obvious C check in. After 15 minutes, the lead GA came out calling for C and F passengers. By this time, I was committed to the wait and see strategy since it was too far back to the Senator's Lounge. (I was emboldened by the significant reduction in overhead storage due to security measures so I did not need to worry about my single carry on with toothpoweder fitting near my seat.)

After the line wound down (about 13:10 for a 13:15 departure), I joined the rear of the line. Only a couple of stragglers after me. After clearing the ID checker, I went to the check in person who informed me that they had changed my seat -- he did not specify the change (16D (C) to 82H (F OpUp)). Thanks to hanging out here, I was quick not to argue over row 82 and had a great flight to YYZ. I expect that this was a case where patience and traveling alone benefitted me greatly.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:19 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Since #10's experience may have had more to do with LH than airline practices, generally, I'll move this to the LH forum for further discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, CoMod, TBuzz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.