Please post your M&M award booking experience

Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I assume you managed to book SQ12 with one flight number all the way through for SIN-NRT-LAX? That's pretty good as otherwise this would have turned into a 3-Region Award at quite bit more miles. Got to love the YQ (none) on SQ.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by demue
I assume you managed to book SQ12 with one flight number all the way through for SIN-NRT-LAX? That's pretty good as otherwise this would have turned into a 3-Region Award at quite bit more miles. Got to love the YQ (none) on SQ.
You're right... it is booked as DPS-SIN-LAX.
SIN-LAX on SQ 12 with a stop in Tokyo. That's why I put NRT in parenthesis.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by jcsimard
Great use of miles!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, Vistara Platinum
- Which route/airline did you book and which class?
LAX-NRT-BKK-SIN (NH F/TG F/TG J)
- How many pax and how many award miles?
1 pax - 145,000 miles and GBP 73.30 surcharge/tax
- How many days/weeks/months did you book in advance?
4 months
- Have you been able to book your preferred dates of travel?
Scattered availability across the sectors, but I did manage to piece together a nice route with stopovers
- Were you happy with the award booking procedure (e.g. online/by phone)? How often did you have to check/call until you got the seats?
Checked individual flight availability online and phoned UK SEN line to book all under one PNR. 10 minute phone call.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jcsimard
The key is that it is the same flight number connecting straight through, else 3 Region rules get invoked even if it was only a transfer in NRT. Even using SQ KF miles this would have cost you 95k mls per pax so very good value combined with no YQ on SQ. ^
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
With a start point in Sapporo on Hokkaido island, Japan, and an end point at Dsseldorf, Germany, the routing was as follows:
CTS-PEK CA C
(Layover)
PEK-VIE OS C
VIE-DUS OS C
Air China (CA) CTS-PEK and myAustrian (OS) PEK-VIE-DUS
All in Business Class (I).
The layover in Beijing is overnight, so I hope there will be no issue with TWOV and entering China briefly without a visa to spend the night.
The PEK-VIE flight is a day flight so I can enjoy the myAustrian service.

3 passengers, 67,000 miles each, CHF313.40 taxes and surcharges.

6 months and 17 days.

No, I wanted to fly one day earlier and I saw availability, but the agent couldn't. Luckily there was availability one day later.
This was about the 10th variant of a trip I envisaged. I had originally wanted to transit Bangkok or Singapore, but that made it into a 3 region award which would have been 92,000 miles (basically the 67,000 miles for the trip to Europe plus 35,000 miles for an intra Asia one way.

- Were you happy with the award booking procedure (e.g. online/by phone)? How often did you have to check/call until you got the seats?
It took 8 calls to get a really competent agent willing to book this and not make up rules (such as no layover in PEK allowed) as they go along. There are still excellent agents at the M&M call center, but I think if you have FTL status and above there is more chance of getting someone decent.
But I think I have an excellent ticket and managing to get 3 Business class seats on all the flights is very good indeed. I tried immediately to price the trip up, but neither Expedia or Opodo would let me do so. The Austrian Airlines website wouldn't recognize the segment from Sapporo to Peking, But the Lufthansa website let me price it up and it came to 9,007 Euros. That means I got a value of 27,021 for a total of 201,000 miles, a brilliant deal!
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Concerto
But I think I have an excellent ticket and managing to get 3 Business class seats on all the flights is very good indeed. I tried immediately to price the trip up, but neither Expedia or Opodo would let me do so. The Austrian Airlines website wouldn't recognize the segment from Sapporo to Peking, But the Lufthansa website let me price it up and it came to 9,007 Euros. That means I got a value of 27,021 for a total of 201,000 miles, a brilliant deal!
That same route is available for 3640 pp, if booked right now for today. I'm not sure how you got to a perceived value of 27k.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I priced it up on the LH website, inputting sector after sector, and that's the figure it gave. How did you price it up? This seems more sensible, as well as plausible, for a one way business ticket. But I thought the relative oddness of the routing triggered a higher fare class.

EDIT- I've just priced it up again at lufthansa.com and the figure quoted is JPY1,138,090 (which is now €9,121). So make of that what you will.

Last edited by Concerto; Apr 1, 2019 at 4:23 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Hey guys I just booked SIN MXP (SQ) VIE GRZ (OS) via the phone as one sector was in Economy

Got billed 84.95 EUR Taxes and fees + 90 EUR National / Intl Charge

E-ticket says:

EUR 7.10L7 EUR 4.01OP EUR 21.62SG EUR 6.50HB EUR 14.88IT EUR 0.92MJ EUR 2.64VT EUR 18.82ZY EUR 8.46AT
Taxes and Fees / Steuern und Gebühren > (this sums up to 84.95 EUR)

EUR 90.00
National/international Charge / Nationaler/Internationaler Zuschlag

EUR 174.95
Grand Total / Gesamtbetrag

======

I only noticed the 90 EUR fee after the call, when I checked the e-ticket.

Anyone knows what is this 90 EUR fee for? Something does not seem right

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Thats the fuel surcharge, very common on M&M awards. If fact 90€ for a oneway longhaul award in business is rather low. On LH/LX/OS it would have been 100+.
lsed likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Ahh ok thanks for the explanation.

I was just puzzled as when I priced out the flights individually (online) it was actually quoted with lower cash amounts (taxes and fees and surcharges)

Including YQ:
SIN MXP - 49.80 SGD (no YQ on SQ)
MXP VIE - 29.94 EUR in Y
VIE GRZ - 50.78 EUR in C

That only adds up to 113 EUR. Strange that stringing them all together makes it more expensive for the YQ.

Either way thanks for the help, saved me another call.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Individually doesn't count as the taxes and surcharges vary by who is issuing the ticket, if it is linked to an international flight (different security tax, different level of emission tax etc)

A revenue ticket on your flights issue on one PNR by OS would have 190€ in T&S:

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------
     AL FLGT  BK T DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA   BG
 SIN
 MIL SQ   356 C  C 15NOV 2345  CIFSQ                      40
XVIE OS   518 Y  Y 16NOV 0710  YFF77WW                    40
 GRZ OS   963 C  C 16NOV 0955  CATBUZP9                   40

SGD  8803.00      15NOV19SIN SQ MIL5160.90OS X/VIE OS GRZ M
EUR  5784.00      1254.14D VIEGRZ74.71NUC6489.75END ROE
EUR    90.00-YQ   1.356351
EUR    16.00-YR   XT EUR 7.10-L7 EUR 4.01-OP EUR 21.62-SG
EUR    84.95-XT   EUR 6.50-HB EUR 14.88-IT EUR 0.92-MJ EUR
EUR  5974.95      2.64-VT EUR 18.82-ZY EUR 8.46-AT
RATE USED 1SGD=0.65700EUR
SEAT/OTHER SERVICES AT A CHARGE MAY BE AVAILABLE-ENTER FXK
TICKET STOCK RESTRICTION
>                                                 PAGE  2/ 3

>m
BG CXR: 3*SQ                                                                    
PRICED WITH VALIDATING CARRIER OS - REPRICE IF DIFFERENT VC                     
FARE VALID FOR E TICKET ONLY                                                    
SUBJ TO CANCELLATION/CHANGE PENALTY                                             
ENDOS FARE RESTRICTION MAY APPLY                                                
>                                                 PAGE  3/ 3
175 on LH:

Code:
 ------------------------------------------------------------
     AL FLGT  BK T DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA   BG
 SIN
 MIL SQ   356 C  C 15NOV 2345  CIFSQ                      40
XVIE OS   518 Y  Y 16NOV 0710  YFF77WW                    40
 GRZ OS   963 C  C 16NOV 0955  CATBUZP9                   40

SGD  8803.00      15NOV19SIN SQ MIL5160.90OS X/VIE OS GRZ M
EUR  5784.00      1254.14D VIEGRZ74.71NUC6489.75END ROE
EUR    90.00-YQ   1.356351
EUR     7.10-L7   XT EUR 4.01-OP EUR 21.62-SG EUR 6.50-HB
EUR    77.85-XT   EUR 14.88-IT EUR 0.92-MJ EUR 2.64-VT EUR
EUR  5958.95      18.82-ZY EUR 8.46-AT
RATE USED 1SGD=0.65700EUR
SEAT/OTHER SERVICES AT A CHARGE MAY BE AVAILABLE-ENTER FXK
TICKET STOCK RESTRICTION
>                                                 PAGE  2/ 3

>m
BG CXR: 3*SQ                                                                    
WARNING - VC LH FAILED TICKET-ABILITY PRE-CHECKS                                
FARE VALID FOR E TICKET ONLY                                                    
SUBJ TO CANCELLATION/CHANGE PENALTY                                             
ENDOS FARE RESTRICTION MAY APPLY                                                
>                                                 PAGE  3/ 3
lsed likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:01 am

oh thanks so much for the explanation!

I was trying to price this out on ITA Matrix but wasn't able to.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Hilton Diamond
BRU - MUC - SIN - RGN return on SQ in J (LH BRU - MUC)
1 pax 135000 miles + 221 € surcharges (significantly less than on LH)
6 months
Yes, no problem
Was able to see availability BRU-SIN on M+M website but nothing to RGN.
A quick call to BRU Sen desk secured the onward connections to/from RGN on SQ and booked itinerary by phone.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: LH HON**

1 pax award BRU - FRA - SIN // SIN-PVG // PEK-MUC-BRU (LH I, LH I, SQ I, LH O, LH I)

+ 1 pax revenue ticket upgrade PEK-MUC from LH Z to LH O.

1 pax full award 207,500 miles + 680 surcharges
1 pax upgrade Z-> O using 2 eVouchers.

3 months.

Yes, no problem (but remark below).

First called BRU SEN number, got connected to somewhere in Africa (?), agent couldnt see any award seats even as I could search & see award seats online at same time. Called again the next morning, then local (BE-based) agent and no problem...

The award ticket was for my significant other, while I had a revenue ticket that I upgraded from Business to First on one leg (PEK-MUC). Pity that Companion award only counts when both passengers travel on Award tickets, not when the status holder travels on a paid ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.