FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Munich First Class Lounge [MUC FCL] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/518060-munich-first-class-lounge-muc-fcl.html)

flysurfer Sep 18, 2007 8:12 am

Originally Posted by woolfcross (Post 8421754)
Is it hard to find?

I remember seeing signs.

Alternatively, you can also use the MUC terminal map on the LH website.
http://www.lufthansa.com/cdautils/me...dia_403695.pdf

Or the LH lounge directory that also answers all your questions.
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...tion?tl=1&l=en

SleepOverGreenland Sep 18, 2007 8:20 am

[I]So I guess you're advising me to go to a SEN lounge instead of the Business-class lounge? Good advice. Is it hard to find? (in the "Schengen" section, wherever that is?)

Schengen area at any airport in Europe (Schengen states only) means, that you passed immigration (passport control) for the Schengen states, e.g. Germany.

Schengen at a glance...[Wikipedia]

For the MUC airport the Schengen area is level G of the LH terminal (T2). All non Schengen states are served from level H (one level above). No difference for arrivals or departures.

SEN lounges in MUC can be found at both levels (G and H). The SEN lounge at level H is usually less crowded and offers some nice shower facilities. There are signs to the lounges. MUC airport is easy going, probably the best airport in Europe and one of the best worldwide.

You will find the SEN lounge nice with free drinks incl. beer, wine and champagne and some real food. And you will not have to tip anybody. ;)

woolfcross Sep 18, 2007 8:29 am

Well may I advise you to just use the powerful SEARCH button - I believe all of your questions have already been discussed many times before. Frequent users of this forum can get a little bit impatient being asked the same question over and over again... understandable!
Understandable, I agree. But not kind. Are you really all so busy that you cannot take a moment to answer such a question? (for it wouldn't have taken any longer than the scolding responses offered instead).

I used the "Search" option--and came up with the message "Your search has too few words"--impossible, for I used four. Tried it several more times, with different search word options, and got the same response. Either I'm doing something wrong, or the Search function isn't working for me for some reason.

No matter. There are other ways to obtain this information, and I will access them.

That you are expert and experienced travelers with very good advice to offer, there is no doubt. I've learned a lot from reading this forum, and I thank you for it.

You might want to consider, however, the lack of friendliness on this forum. We all have our different areas of expertise in this world. Had any of you approached me saying that you wished to write a novel (which I have) or a screenplay(which I have), I would have shown you considerably more patience, generosity and tolerance than you've rendered (even though novel and screenplay writing are considerably harder to "break into" than a first-class lounge at Munich!)

woolfcross Sep 18, 2007 8:35 am

Oops! Posted my previous entry before I saw the very nice responses from Flysurfer and Sleep Over Greenland. Thanks, guys--useful advice, and I really appreciate it!

SmilingBoy Sep 18, 2007 10:41 am

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland (Post 8421922)
For the MUC airport the Schengen area is level G of the LH terminal (T2). All non Schengen states are served from level H (one level above). No difference for arrivals or departures.

Almost, but not quite true. One end on the G level is for non-Schengen flights.

SmilingBoy.

SleepOverGreenland Sep 18, 2007 11:05 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy (Post 8422758)

SmilingBoy.

Which one? :confused:

I must admit, it has been some time for me, since I have been last in a SEN lounge in MUC. But I clearly remember the Schengen lounge (close to the good old HONdehütte at G level) having a SEN part to the left and a BIZ part to the right. Non-Schengen a similar construct (H level) with one main entry for SEN to the left and BIZ to the right sharing restrooms and showers (Still BIZ shower rooms and SEN shower rooms available). Both of those lounges are almost central in the terminal.

So, where at G level is a non-Schengen SEN lounge? Is this another lounge?

flysurfer Sep 18, 2007 11:27 am

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland (Post 8422913)
WSo, where at G level is a non-Schengen SEN lounge? Is this another lounge?

Don't worry, there's none. SmilingBoy is just a bit confused, a wonderful state of mind he kindly trys to share with us.

So, no, the G level Schengen SEN lounge is not THAT big (yet) that part of it extends into the non-Schengen wing of G level. :)

And sure, there's a non-Schengen area (as in non-Schengen departure gates!) on G level, but I guess this has no relevance to the question at hand.

SmilingBoy Sep 18, 2007 1:07 pm

:eek: I wanted to quote this part, as flysurfer has already guessed correctly.

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland (Post 8421922)

Will edit my previous post to avoid any confusion...

SmilingBoy.

Rudi Sep 18, 2007 3:33 pm

The lounge is divided on two levels into a Schengen and a Non-Shengen part.

Non-Schengen departures: located in terminal 2 (gate aerea) entrance to this part of the lounge is on level 05 near gate H21

Schengen departures: also located in terminal 2 (gate area) entrance to this part of the lounge is on level 04 near gate G21

SleepOverGreenland Sep 19, 2007 4:20 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy (Post 8422758)

SmilingBoy.

Originally Posted by flysurfer (Post 8423046)
And sure, there's a non-Schengen area (as in non-Schengen departure gates!) on G level, but I guess this has no relevance to the question at hand.

Okay, now it makes more sense to me. Although I didn't know about the Non-Schengen area on level G so far. Must be the upper end of the G gates then. :o

San Gottardo Sep 19, 2007 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Rudi (Post 8424599)
The lounge is divided on two levels into a Schengen and a Non-Shengen part.

Non-Schengen departures: located in terminal 2 (gate aerea) entrance to this part of the lounge is on level 05 near gate H21

Schengen departures: also located in terminal 2 (gate area) entrance to this part of the lounge is on level 04 near gate G21

Rudi, I assume you write about the First Class Lounge.

It actually is not divided into a Schengen and non-Schengen part. There are merely two different entrances, at the points you mention in your post. On Level 04 is the Schengen entrance, there is the welcome desk, limo dispatcher and a small waiting area (for shoe shine for instance). On Level 05 is the non-Schengen entrance. However, inside, it's only one area - which happens to be Schengen. Therefore, people entering the lounge from non-Schengen leave their passport at the border control post which is integrated in the lounge on level 05, to then proceed to the actual lounge part of the FCL. The actual lounge with restaurant, bar, Cigar Lounge, resting rooms, bathrooms, working spaces, etc. is on Level 05.

Flying Lawyer Sep 19, 2007 7:35 am

Sure, there are two, but since you are *G, why would you want to go there instead of the SEN lounges?

Okay, guys, you're being awfully rough on a newbie here! Not having flown LH very much, I'm asking for advice, not scolding/demonstrating how much you know and I don't. I'm well aware that my questions are rather ignorant and basic, as my original post admitted.

So I guess you're advising me to go to a SEN lounge instead of the Business-class lounge? Good advice. Is it hard to find? (in the "Schengen" section, wherever that is?)

We are certainly not unfriendly. However, about at least a hundred people read and consider these postings and ask themselves "Why are certain questions asked so often??". And FT is not a moderated Google. Remarks like "Schengen section, whatever that is" only give evidence that you did not even care to use the real google as the first hit on Google directs you to Wikipedia:

http://www.google.de/search?as_q=sch...s=&safe=images

and answers this question.

woolfcross Sep 19, 2007 9:00 am

Thanks for your helpful link, Flying Lawyer. Just to clarify: I used the search function right here on FlyerTalk--and kept getting an "error" message that said "too few words" (which makes no sense for I tried several times, using a different number of words from one to eight!).

Not getting back anything useful from FlyerTalk, I went ahead and "googled" the term Schengen--and as you predicted, got an explanation, though not the "insider" advice on lounges I was looking for. This information is evidently not so easily available, for as the previous posts demonstrate, there's some disagreement even among you expert LH flyers about where/how these are accessed.

SleepOverGreenland Sep 19, 2007 10:36 am

Originally Posted by creber (Post 8427930)
Rudi, I assume you write about the First Class Lounge.

Correct, flysurfer already posted the correct answer for the SEN lounges:

Originally Posted by flysurfer (Post 8421879)
Or the LH lounge directory that also answers all your questions.
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...tion?tl=1&l=en

Performing a query for *G in MUC provides:
  • Senator Lounge Munich - Franz Josef Strauss Terminal 2, Departure Level G, opposite Gate G28 (EU-Schengen)
  • Senator Lounge Munich - Franz Josef Strauss Terminal 2, Departure Level H, opposite Gate H23 (Non-EU)

Then again, MUC is easy going and has good and understandable signs.

flysurfer Sep 19, 2007 10:58 am

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland (Post 8427418)
Although I didn't know about the Non-Schengen area on level G so far. Must be the upper end of the G gates then. :o

Yeah, it looks quite improvised to me. MUC T2 was planned and built to be a nice and highly convenient terminal, but then the EU decided that nice and convenient airports are against regulations and not compatible with the War on Terrah, so they implemented a series of rules that make navigating MUC and transferring there much more of a pain than necessary. Thanks to this, you'll even have to go through full sercurity when using the FCL as an international arrival lounge, arriving from the obviously utterly unsafe USA, loaded with highly explosive gels from the F lavatory of your LH flight that need to be confiscated before you leave the airport. After all, you might blow up your rental car with a sample of after shave balm.

It's a shame that nobody is interested in funding or conducting a War on Error. That would really improve airport experiences all over the world.