Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

I'm a VERY frequent flyer. Should I switch from UA to LH Miles and More?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm a VERY frequent flyer. Should I switch from UA to LH Miles and More?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2006, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by stimpy
Should I book those 120K miles with M&M or UA?
M&M, especially when flying non-UA carriers and non-transatlantic legs. You'll get more status and award miles, and since you don't care about SWUs, nothing is really lost. With CRWSTARx tickets, SEN status is much easier to achieve and maintain than 1K, as a SEN you get the free lounge access in the U.S. and you are free to choose better C class carriers than UA, like SQ, NH or LH with new C and will still collect 200% or 225% status and award miles on ANY segment and ANY carrier (even 325% on UA domestic 2-class F legs).

Last edited by flysurfer; Jan 22, 2006 at 2:52 am
Old Jan 22, 2006, 4:26 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by stimpy
..So lets narrow this down a bit. Say I do 120K miles per year just on RTW's and they are all in biz..
While I tend to agree with flysurfer it all comes down to how much you
crave those upgrades. 1K gives you 6+ SWU pro anno, M&L only one longhaul
segment every two years.
Flying 120K a year in Z,D,C,J could still earn you both stati.
66K of those on UA will make you 1K (if you choose the right segments) and
another 50K will bring you the SEN (which you will need only every two years).

If you keep your US address, you will never run the danger to suddenly need
130K miles to qualify for SEN and you will get that discount voucher (which
does no longer work in conjuntcion with the companion award).

I would use the M&L miles for immediate consumption as they keep devaluating
swiftly. Use the MP ones for exotic trips or RTW thingies.

Also M&L often has great intra Europe promotions. Had two flights with my
friend last summer for 15K miles for both of us on each occasion.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 3:36 am

Programs: M&M SEN, AA*G, HH*S
What about the fact that UA is on shaky financial footing and that their service is really deterioriating due to the fact that their staff is always having pay cuts? Doesn't that alone argue for switching to M&M?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by cajmere
What about the fact that UA is on shaky financial footing and that their service is really deterioriating due to the fact that their staff is always having pay cuts? Doesn't that alone argue for switching to M&M?
I certainly don't think so.

UA is about to emerge from Ch. 11 with a lot of cash. Also, LH and/or other investors will likely invest in UA. A merger with another U.S. carrier is possible, as well.

You can always fly LH on transatlantic routes (crediting to MP) and Asian *A carriers on transpac routes (crediting to M&M) in order to escape UA service. As for U.S. domestic service, UA is at least as good as their direct competitors. Also, UA is planning significant product enhancements in 2006.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by cajmere
Not a problem for me. I'm one of their best customers so I am treated well. Plus I don't fly US domestic flights which is where the bad service exists. UA international flights are mostly OK. And as stated above, UA is coming out of bankruptcy so they are doing fairly well, given the oil price problem that all carriers are facing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.