SEN and SEN+

Old Sep 9, 06, 5:37 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by flysurfer
Who cares, anyway?..
and
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
^
Two more victims. Did you two guys now contract the bazillus ulevii ?

While I agree with all The Flymaster says and also personally skipped two trips
I planned to do (one even bringing me to LHR, yikes) since the TSA madness
and the water discrimination rage - this is still FT.
And since I get accused of trampling it's spirit in obscure ways, I will try to
uphold it at least here.

But then not flying has become a very decent alternative to being exposed to
sensless and degrading treatment by forces out of bound .
Old Sep 9, 06, 7:03 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
I have stopped making plans beyond January 2007.
Despite having gotten BA G last year, I'm not planning to set my foot on a BA bird (or in LHR) until they seem to start getting rid of their attitude. OS paid part of that bill as well: I have canceled a transatlantic RT in full fare C after their 8/10/06 spasmodic reaction. Sorry, I just exhibited my instinctive distaste for stupidity.
Old Sep 9, 06, 7:13 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by andre1970
Sorry, I just exhibited my instinctive distaste for stupidity.
^
Old Sep 9, 06, 7:35 am

Programs: black is magic
However, theses days the real pressing question is: Do I still want to fly (at least to certain destinations)? Instead of being HON, SEN or SEN+, isn't not flying becoming the real luxury? In the light of recent developments, I have stopped making plans beyond January 2007. So HON, with its 2-year qualification period, isn't even on my radar.
I think that's why you want to have status as it makes flying easier and more enjoyable. For me it made a huge difference being *G. I can use lounges almost any time I fly, I save time by not having to queue up, get exit-row-seats, ... Not having this status would make flying even worse and I would certainly consider not flying that much anymore. I guess I could skip 30% of my flights if I wanted to without having too much of an impact on my business, but I just enjoy travelling so much.

Making HON would make the entire thing even more enjoyable as LH takes away some more worries and you can concentrate more on what you enjoy. So for me it's not really a question if not flying is a luxury as I would miss out on something I like.
Old Sep 9, 06, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by Thomas_B
I think that's why you want to have status as it makes flying easier and more enjoyable. ... Making HON would make the entire thing even more enjoyable as LH takes away some more worries and you can concentrate more on what you enjoy.
My simple logic:

Premise: Flying isn't fun any more, it's a hassle, and beoming more of a hassle with time. So NOT flying (or reduce it to a minimum) is the ultimate luxury.

Status helps easing that hassle and increase enjoyment. But in order to get status, one has to fly. This, however, beats the premise. The goal is to fly less, not to fly MORE in order to lock in some status.

Sure, if I get a certain status level even though I limit flying to a minimum, that's great.

And yes, if one or two minor pattern adjustment that don't cost much time and money will put me over the next status level, that's reasonable.

HONRUNS®, however, are logically flawed, if you accept the premise.

Btw, even you still HAVE to fly and REALLY want to reduce the hassle, you should fly in F, and in F only. In order to fly F at a good price, use award tickets. Instead of investing time and and money for status, better invest that money in filling up your mileage account. EUR 30,000 (our minimum annual HON budget) can "buy" you 3,500,000 miles on M&M. Currently, that's 25 transatlantic *A roundtrips in confirmed F.

Flying in F on miles is also psychologically sound, because there's no more pressure to renew status or collect promo miles etc. Instead, there's only one objective: flying as little as possible in order to save as many miles as long as possible. This, ironically, brings us even closer to our ultimate luxury goal of not flying at all. HON (and the internal psychological pressure to first "get" it then "renew" it) does not.

Finally, you can still mix that strategy with paid flights and retain some minimum status such as SEN. With its 2-year requalification period, it is not that difficult and will help you on those paid flight that need maximum flexibility. Hey, with the money I save on "award F" I could actually afford to buy full fare paid F on those occasions where I simply can't get an award seat but still really, really have to go.
Old Sep 9, 06, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by andre1970
Despite having gotten BA G last year, I'm not planning to set my foot on a BA bird (or in LHR) until they seem to start getting rid of their attitude. OS paid part of that bill as well: I have canceled a transatlantic RT in full fare C after their 8/10/06 spasmodic reaction..
I swear to the gods of turbines and bonus miles that I am more sane than my
posts do suggest. But I love you for that post - purely platonically and
avionically of course ^ ^ ^ ^ .

Are Poland and India still following the insanity of the Empire when it comes to
handluggage or did reason return to the places?

To The Flymaster - I hate to concede that all you state is sound and true.
But could you - as intro for non Europe based travellers - repeat how you
achieve such a great gearing ratio when it comes to mileage earning?
Ploise!
Old Sep 9, 06, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by weero
But could you - as intro for non Europe based travellers - repeat how you
achieve such a great gearing ratio when it comes to mileage earning?
Ploise!
You ask this question every 2-3 months on this board, and my answer, like before, is still Switzerland.
Old Sep 9, 06, 10:05 am

You ask this question every 2-3 months on this board, and my answer, like before, is still Switzerland.
That is true. Still that very philosophical and nebular answer does not explain for
such a great gearing ratio at these excessive quantities of miles.
So maybe, I am looking for instructions in a too simplified manner ...
Old Sep 9, 06, 10:43 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
My simple logic:
Hi flyphilosopher,
great post! ^ ^ ^
Old Sep 9, 06, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Are Poland and India still following the insanity of the Empire when it comes to handluggage or did reason return to the places?
I have been to WAW last weakend and no worries at all...
Old Sep 9, 06, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
That is true. Still that very philosophical and nebular answer does not explain for
such a great gearing ratio at these excessive quantities of miles.
So maybe, I am looking for instructions in a too simplified manner ...
Poor boy, one of the secrets of this globe you did not discover But Flymaster is right, Switzerland is a "mile-heaven". Allthough prices have somehow gone up a little bit, though, 500 Euros for 100.000 Miles still is a very realstic ratio. At the moment I have certain problems to find enough "sweeties" on the market . Flymaster must be heavyly buying.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Sep 9, 06 at 11:11 am
Old Sep 9, 06, 11:49 am

Programs: *G (TK elite), OW emerald (BA), ST elite plus (AF)
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Poor boy, one of the secrets of this globe you did not discover But Flymaster is right, Switzerland is a "mile-heaven". Allthough prices have somehow gone up a little bit, though, 500 Euros for 100.000 Miles still is a very realstic ratio. At the moment I have certain problems to find enough "sweeties" on the market . Flymaster must be heavyly buying.
i guess part of the switzerland-secret is buried in this thread (btw, one of the funniest threads ever on FT.com from the post when the tea story begins )

Last edited by f0zzyNUE; Sep 9, 06 at 1:20 pm
Old Feb 22, 07, 5:56 am

Programs: black is magic
Ok, I got some news from the purser on a recent intra-DE flight:
SEN+ stands for SENs that are also in the list of the flights most important passengers. People that are on this list should be taken care of better than normal SENs as they are better customers. Especially on MUC - FRA flights with plenty of SENs/HONs FAs need some advanced indicators on who to treat extremely well. How to get the magical "+" is still a secret though, but she thinks number of miles.
Old Feb 22, 07, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas_B View Post
Ok, I got some news from the purser on a recent intra-DE flight:
SEN+ stands for SENs that are also in the list of the flights most important passengers. People that are on this list should be taken care of better than normal SENs as they are better customers. Especially on MUC - FRA flights with plenty of SENs/HONs FAs need some advanced indicators on who to treat extremely well. How to get the magical "+" is still a secret though, but she thinks number of miles.
How much special attention (whatever that might be?) can you get on a MUC-FRA flight ?

A pursor on a recent flight from MUC-SFO had no idea what the SEN+ stands for ...
Old Feb 22, 07, 7:39 am

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
How much special attention (whatever that might be?) can you get on a MUC-FRA flight ?
A lot if there is enough snow in MUC. Ask SoG abt. this.

SEN+ stands for SENs that are also in the list of the flights most important passengers.
What are a flight's most important passengers? Is a HON more important than e.g. Mr. Koehler?

People that are on this list should be taken care of better than normal SENs as they are better customers. Especially on MUC - FRA flights with plenty of SENs/HONs FAs need some advanced indicators on who to treat extremely well.
Despite having the + I am rarely treated extremely well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: